LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What about those who do give blood????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about those who do give blood????
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night woke in middle of night. Where the heck this came from all of sudden.

I know people have mentioned here they would not give blood. Nor I.

Yrs. back Before my dx. I had gut feeling I should not give blood becuase knew something was wrong with me physically.

I imagine they do not send or check for lyme upon donated blood.

All those people unknowingly infected.

Should the govt. be sued or held liable since people have been fighting for yrs. to get lyme acknowledged & fight for correct testing. Including CDC now admitting they could be doing better testing.

Many like myself go for yrs. not knowing they have lyme. I know of people, such as my daughter who I am suspicious of lyme.

They have given blood many times.

How awful to think you are getting well tested clean blood. Injected such a serious life altering & threatenting disease. So many like myself left untreated. Or have no idea what is wrong with them.What is your take on this, maybe used to help our cause to get proper testing & treatment.???

Is this not a crime, when people high up know of the lyme growth & somewhat epidemic. More than other stuff that gets alot more press.

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giving blood big no no if you have lyme .
I had a freind who has been bittin and told he didnt have lyme and later bittin again and had the bullseye rash I told him if I had a rash I would never donate again untill they come up with a good sreening procedure. I think this is how a lot of it is being passed around and suddenly becomes MS ALS Lupus etc.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a year? ago there was a blip on the news about a person who got MS from an organ transplant. You'd think someone would have gotten a clue from that but, as far as I know, nada.

The Red Cross accepts blood from Fibromyalgia patients. All of this will turn out to be a major national catastrophe, especially when the govt, already with a potentially ruinous national debt, has to pay for it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rita and all,

If one has fibro, one cannot give blood. I gave blood for years, then about 4 years ago I mentioned I had fibro, was that ok? The person said absolutely not, I asked why not, she said they were told that it could be passed on to other people. Isn't that a dandy! I am going to try to give blood again, only this time will say lyme and see what she says. If she says ok for lyme, then I am really going to make a fuss.

I have even taken myself off the organ donor program.

Take care

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a good book called, What The Gov. Isnt Telling You About AIDS. It is written by an orthopedic surgeon in San Francisco. She got in serious trouble with the hospital she worked for because she went head to head against the Red Cross who despite knowing HIV was in blood continued not to test and to have blood drive in predominatly gay areas of the city.
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad the Red Cross has changed it's position about Fibromyalgia. I gave about a gallon and a half, over the years, and told them, every time, that I had Fibromyalgia. I stopped giving, in '89, when I became Lyme Literate.

The Red Cross position on not testing blood for AIDS, years ago, is resposible for decimating the Hemopheliac population. At the time, they used blood products in their treatment and much of that product was contaminated with AIDS.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time that I went with someone to give blood, they did not allow lyme patients to give for five years after being symptom free...this was a few months ago.

Also, we would not be allowed given all the medications that we take...

For those who have lyme and don't know it, there's nothing to be done until the blood supply is tested for it....and even then, given the inaccuracy of testing today, that would be a shot in the dark.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years ago I went with my daughter who was giving blood for the first time.

(I no longer give.)

However, I asked out of curiousity what the Red Cross policy was with regard to Lyme.

The nurse had to look it up and then told me a person had to be on abx for one year before giving blood!

I was floored! I hope they've wised up since a couple years ago!

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought much of the Red Cross anyways. My grandfather (a WWII vet) hated them with a passion--ask any WWII vet. A very very low opinion!

It never suprised me when they raised money after 9/11 and the families never got the money.

During WWII they would raise money "for the GI's". Then they would serve coffee to the GI's and make them pay huge amounts for a lousy cup of coffee. Care packages were often paid for as well (after they items were donated by the American public).

Any thing for a buck, I guess.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to add a sad twist to this or anything. But my grandfather fell and broke his hip a month ago. After the surgery (joint replacement) he was given a blood transfusion, to push the pain medication out of his body.two days later he died. He was 84, but not in bad shape. You never know what you are getting, with someone elses blood. God only knows how long I had lyme before i was diagnosed, or even knew what lyme was. The good thing was I stopped donating after i went to 3rd world countries with the service.

no the government wont take the hit for this, you can bet that.

greg

Posts: 740 | From frederick,md,usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For your information:

Thinking of being a Blood or Organ Donor: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021835.html

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my name off of the list as doner for organs or blood. Soon as I started feeling sick on regular basis even before dx of fm/ebv/lyme/me/mps/.

It was a gut thing, I asked my daughter not to give blood, & she doe`s since I suspect her having fm or lyme.

I have to admit after being so sick for so long would have to think hard & long if I would w3ant myself to accept this blood under an circumtances.

Would not wish this life on anyone. Well maybe a duck or 2 or someone else who stalked me.

I was being sorta sarcastic about the govt. being sued. I know that would prob. never happen.

Just all the cover-ups. After working with clinic & Bowen study. It just seems tragic that some are giving blood who could be just passing this dang stuff to another human due to them not testing properly when they could.

I also had bad experience with Red Cross back during Nam times.

Like to hear any other thoughts. Thanks for yours...

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrengthToStrength
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrengthToStrength     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we all have been cured with 3 weeks of antibiotics, and just have "post-Lyme syndrome", there should be no problems with us being blood donors.
Posts: 236 | From D.C. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement