LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone had a neuropsych eval?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone had a neuropsych eval?
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a neuropsych eval tomorrow morning as another "independent" evaluation per my LTD carrier (not SSDI, but a LTD benefit I have through my old job)
Anyway, I'm starting to get anxious just because every non LLMD Dr. appt I've had in the past year has been a miserable experience and I always wind up pretty upset. This appt tomorrow is scheduled from 10AM - 4 PM! I already told them that's a very long day for me.
Has anyone been through something like this? Just looking for a pep talk I guess. Thanks!

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a neuropsych eval about 4 months ago, ordered by my doctor.

This is one time when the long time frame will show to your benefit. It is likely to cause you to make more mistakes, if you get tired, or pain causes problems with concentration.

They will probably have you do a whole series of tests, visual, verbal, physical, written, etc. Each test shows up a certain part of your cognitive function.

Even though I didn't think cognitive problems were my worst symptom, several tests showed severe brain injury. The psych evaluator said that I can cover well in daily life because I have a high IQ, even though they could tell I have lost IQ points.

So, if they are fair at all, your problems should show up. BTW, I tried to really push myself, not ask for to many breaks, as getting tired made my performance much worse.

After all, they want to know if you can perform for an eight hour day, right? So show them, as far as you can, what that would look like.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riversinger is right. It's good that they have scheduled you for a complete day, as your performance will drop due to fatigue, pain, etc, and it is important to see how you perform throughout the entire day. Some LTD carriers intentionally split it up so they can get the most positive results possible, then stretch the truth to say you can work.

The less you know, the better about the various tests, assessments, etc. So don't be tempted to find out more about neuropsych testing, types of tests, etc.

Consider reviewing the article at this link, and think about taking a copy of this to the neuropsychologist seeing you tomorrow. Many neuropsychologists know next to nothing about Lyme. This is an excellent article which spells out specific functional consequences in a person with Lyme. If you are like me, I felt as if this article hit the nail right on the head. I saw so much of myself when I read through it. The neuropsychologist I saw said it was the best article he had ever seen about this subject, and appreciated me bring it in to the appt.
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/rissenberg.html

I was stunned, and even somewhat embarrassed, by my inability to perform things which I used to think were simple. Think the stress of it all made my performance worse. But like riversinger, I had a high IQ to start with. I was trained in tests and measurements, and actually gave IQ tests as part of my job. I was not qualified to give neuropsychological tests, though, and knew only a little about the specifics of these tests. But when I was in grad school, had several IQ tests to practice giving them myself. I was always in the 130 to 135 IQ range. I had a complete neuropsychological eval a couple of months ago, and fell at a dismal 100. Huge loss. And a perfect example of what Lyme can do. This loss, along with severe memory deficits, make it impossible for me to work at any job right now.

A neuropsychological eval is critical info in any disability situation. Especially for someone who has education and training and a good work history. And results will likely be beneficial to your claim. If you suspect that the results have not been interpreted correctly, consider hiring another neuropsychologist to review results, raw data, etc. For example, the MMPI has different interpretation scales, one being for chronic illness. If they interpreted the scores of a person with a chronic illness with the "normal" scales, then the person is said to be a hypochrondriac. An LTD carrier would jump all over that one, and try to change your benefits to the psych clause, so they can limit benefits.

LTD carriers are sleazy. Keep an eye on yours. The only thing they are doing is trying to generate info to justify terminating your benefits. That's their job. Cost containment. I know. I used to work directly with them on disability cases.

You will be fine. Good luck.....

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SisterSue2
Member # 5484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SisterSue2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Larkspur, I had a Neuropsych eval at Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN in Oct, 2003.

I am (was?) a Mechanical/ Electrical Engineer who graduated in the top 1% of my Univ of Texas Engineering class in 1987 and I started my own Technology business when I was 23. I also taught University Calculus classes to undergrads when I was 24 and in grad school for my MBA.

I completed the neuropsych eval through MASSIVE head pain and had a terrible time "getting air" and staying awake. Believe it or not, I came out 'average' on most of the sections. So I suppose they thought I was fine.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Since I 'know myself well' it was frustrating to only complete certain tasks when I know 'my old self' would have finished early and wanted more. At the time, I was trying to prove to myself that I wasn't 'an idiot' and I wasn't going for SSI or anything, so I forced myself to do as much as I possibly could.

Once I completed the 5 hr test, I was so disappointed in myself for 'what I couldn't do' that I was sure they would note that in my file 'as proof' that I am not depressed or crazy but that I actually have an organic problem going on.

But no, I was 'average', so I got diagnosed with 'Functional Somatization Disorder' (this is not Psychosomatization but functional - which stands for CFS)

Anyway, my recommendation - don't push yourself, if you are able to do anything at all - you could be considered 'average' which equals OK in alot of duck books.

Sis

Posts: 65 | From West Tx | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panther
Member # 5348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panther     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I've had a complete neuropsych evaluation. The thing you need to know is, you can do well on the tests and still have neuroborreliosis. I've never known or wanted to know my exact IQ, but I know I did well on this test, among others, even though at the time I had well-demonstrated lyme encephalopathy and an untreated pituitary problem. IQ tests usually measure two "kinds" of IQ: verbal IQ, and performance IQ. Verbal IQ is basically a vocabulary test, mathematics, and general knowledge. Performance IQ is solving puzzles, putting blocks together to make shapes, etc. People with brain disorders tend to have large gaps between verbal IQ (higher) and performance IQ (lower). You may very well get frustrated with some of the other tests, which can be quite obnoxious. There are certain tests that are designed to challenge your frontal lobes (IQ doesn't test this area of the brain), and my guess is this is where you will make the most mistakes. The tests really don't translate all that well in so far as accurately pinpointing a problem you may be having, especially in so far as examining higher level functioning such as emotion, or paranoia, or a host of other problems that are seen in spirochetal brain disease.

quote:
Originally posted by Larkspur:
I have a neuropsych eval tomorrow morning as another "independent" evaluation per my LTD carrier (not SSDI, but a LTD benefit I have through my old job)
Anyway, I'm starting to get anxious just because every non LLMD Dr. appt I've had in the past year has been a miserable experience and I always wind up pretty upset. This appt tomorrow is scheduled from 10AM - 4 PM! I already told them that's a very long day for me.
Has anyone been through something like this? Just looking for a pep talk I guess. Thanks!

Posts: 45 | From Stillwater, OK, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
June Bug
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2813

Icon 10 posted      Profile for June Bug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I thought that this was interesting.....a friend of mine's son was in a car accident and had a pretty severe brain injury. He has several times gone to have testing done to see how he was progressing for school ect. The neuro told my friend to make sure her son doesn't sleep alot the night before his test and no caffeine before the appoint. So she kept him up till midnight and had him up at 5:30 am for his 8 am test...the neuro made it seem like that was routine for proper testing???

June Bug

Posts: 177 | From Florida | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement