LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Teeth problems pain/root canals etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teeth problems pain/root canals etc.
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok i have done a search on this topic and found some interesting information.

I have always had dental problems. I have so many fillings, crowns, root canals.

Last week i had to have a tooth pulled, because decay got underneath a crown and the tooth was too bad to save.

I seemed to be healing fine until this past weekend. I started having MAJOR THROBBING in the tooth behind my extraction. The tooth that was throbbing already has a root canal in it so it should not be hurting.

For the last 3 days i have been at my endodonist. He is very, very good. I went to him about a month ago and he did two root canals in one day. The next day, i only took two advils.

Anyway, im still having pain in a bottom tooth behind the extraction. He thinks i may have a dry socket, or need a root canal on a top tooth, or the tooth which is trobbing needs to be re-done (it had a root canal years ago).

He decided to re-treat the trobbing tooth again and replace the old root canal. He feels something weird is going on.

I have had a total of ten root canals done. Eveyone in my family has had bad teeth.

I was wondering, if you guys think this pain could be part of a herx?

I have been on the mepron/zithromax for a month now and all of this pain started about a month ago. Problem is, i dont think i have really herxed yet from my ABX.

He wants me to take soma and advil for my pain. He is not big on vicodin. But, if my pain is that bad, i really need it. I am so bummed. Its like the dentist has to take my word for it.

Im just so confused. Sorry for such a long complicated post.

Can lyme disease cause all of these teeth problems?

Thanks,

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no herxing. not everything going on in your body is lyme related.
the pain is probably from the extraction of the tooth. when dentists extrct teeth they use leverage from the adjacent teeth to lossen the extracted tooth to make it easier to come out.
a throbbing several days after extraction is 99.9% a dry socket and must be treated with dry socket paste. sometimes in lyme the platelet count is low and the blood does not clot properly, but this is the only connection to lyme and extractions.
sometimes while extracting the tooth the leverage is so severe that you can actually crack to opposing tooth, especially if it has a root canal, since the tooth is more brittle than normal.
decay under crowns can be due to medicines that dry your mouth, ie antidepressants,sinus meds, heart meds, hbp meds, if so then you need to get the dentist to give you topical stannous fluoride to protect the teeth

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DocDave,

The problem is that where the extraction was is already healed. The doctor would have to cut a flap and insert the medicine.

He feels it will set me back in my healing time at this point and its probably better if we dont open it up.

Since he has started to treat the trobbing tooth, it is a little better. But i have only one day under my belt since we have started treatment.

Thanks for writing me back. I do get a lot of phantom pains in my teeth, which usually go away.

I have also had burning mouth syndrome for about 10 years. So, G-d knows with me.

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jorden,

I'm sorry you are having teeth pain, that stinks!
Here is some info previously posted by Pacbird, maybe it will help a little.

I hope you feel better soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by pacbird

Tooth pain for no apparent reason is commmon in Lyme.
Academy of General Dentistry
Jan 7 2002

Lyme Disease Have You Ticked? Ask Your Dentist!

Lyme disease, which is initiated by the bite of an immature deer
tick, is difficult to diagnose, but your dentist may be able to
detect this mysterious disease, reports the Academy of General
Dentistry, an organization of general dentists dedicated to
continuing dental education. Patients with Lyme disease report pain
in their teeth, chewing muscles and jaw joint, which drives them to
the dentist.

"Unfortunately, most patients are not diagnosed properly until their
Lyme disease is at a later stage, and when it is more difficult to
treat," says Manuel Cordero, DDS, a spokesperson in New Jersey for
the Academy of General Dentistry. "Diagnosing this disease is very
tricky because it can hide itself behind many dental problems,
including toothaches and jaw pain."

A study of 120 patients with Lyme disease revealed that about 75
percent of patients reported pain in the chewing muscles and 72
percent reported temporomandibular joint pain. Burning mouth was
reported by 25 percent of these patients, and 70 percent reported a
sore throat. About 47 percent of the patients visited up to 10
doctors before being properly diagnosed.

"Your dentist may suspect Lyme disease if you have a mysterious
toothache that can't be attributed to cavities," says Dr.
Cordero. "The disease may be really causing you to feel pain
underneath the tooth."

About 70 percent of patients with Lyme disease reported dental pain
in the absence of dental disease, and the dental pain tended to move
from tooth to tooth. Of these patients, 36 percent had multiple
dental treatments, including root canals and tooth extraction
unnecessarily.

"Early diagnosis is critical because in its late stages, Lyme disease
can lead to neurological symptoms, arthritis, and can involve the
heart and other organs" says Dr. Cordero. "Filling out a proper
medical history will help the dentist detect this mysterious disease."

About 70 percent of Lyme disease patients are found in the Northeast,
but it has also been reported in the North Central and Pacific Coast
regions. Since 1980, nearly 100,000 people in the United States have
had Lyme disease.

Other symptoms associated with Lyme disease are headache, flu-like
illness with achy joints, muscle pain, stiff neck, significant
fatigue and facial pain. Many patients also have a characteristic
bull's eye shaped rash with a clear center seen at the site of the
bite. http://www.agd.org/consumer/topics/tmj/lyme.html

Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beverly,

Thanks so much for the post.

Great article. I know i have had LD for a long time so its pretty intersting that LD may have contributed.

Dental problems can be so draining.

Have a great night.

Jordan

------------------

docdave130
Unregistered

to jbgoth
the pain in your tooth is not lyme related.
the burning in your mouth is probably from chronic yeast infection and can be cleared up with Diflucan 100mg for a week or 2.
Lyme can cause many tooth related problems because of neuralgia of the 5th cranial nerve. occasional tooth pain, ear aches, ringing of the ear and tmj problems can all come from lyme disease.
unforunately many people on this forum think that everything that happens to the body is from lyme. This in not the case. Many things are documented from lyme disease but realistically lyme does not cause every problem in the body.
I am going to the endodontist tommorrow for my third root canal in three years on good teeth. these teeth were severely sensitive to cold and most likely from neuralgia from lyme, since my lyme is chronic over ten years I have no doubt that this neuralgia is from the lyme.

lymielu
Member # 5652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly:

"Unfortunately, most patients are not diagnosed properly until their
Lyme disease is at a later stage, and when it is more difficult to
treat," says Manuel Cordero, DDS, a spokesperson in New Jersey for
the Academy of General Dentistry. "Diagnosing this disease is very
tricky because it can hide itself behind many dental problems,
including toothaches and jaw pain."

Thank you so much for digging up this information Beverly. I have had tooth pain for 8 months now, going from doctor to dentist, back to doctor, back to dentist, being thoroughly passed around for the financial benefit of all but ME.....

I was given a non FDA approved protocol last October 2003 of a nasal spray of staph phage lysate from a doctor in Maryland. Later I found out that the product had a history of being unstable and therefore I was spraying a staph infection up my nose four times a day. This set the bacteria in my mouth to a raging proportions that I have been battling every since.
I guess because of that protocol I never thought that the Lyme might be a contributing factor as well.
Of course, that is just another stressor. Right? It isn't enough that lyme itself gets the raised eyebrow from doctor's. Now to have to address it with dentist too? Just peachy.

I've been on the IV rocephin for one week now and I am no worse for the wear.....although I've been bedridden for the past year, so I am assuming that the healing will take some time as well.
I have only been able to eat limited foods because of the intense pain in my teeth. Not in the jaw or nerves of the face , just the "teeth" I've never experienced this before so it has been puzzling. Anything hot, cold, sweet or sour will send chills down my spine from the pain.
Anyway, I ramble on......I really appreciate this info. It has given me another look at this....
Lymielu

Posts: 44 | From San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would like to suggest you read the book
"Root Canal Cover-Up" by Meinig.

You might want to read some of my posts. There are many, many - because I went through what you are going through, except I beat you -- I had 13 root canals! Can happily report that I do not have them any longer and that I no longer have Lyme and any co-infections either.

You might also google "Boyd Haley Root Canals Lyme Disease" and you will get a ton of information.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

be aware of many reports and books on the internet. many many studies are done in this country by quacks and get on the internet and even published.anybody can publish a book especially if it contradicts the establishment. i have read many studies from we established researchers that were flawed BEWARE!!!!!!.
you may also want to look at the academy of endodontics aae.org .this is the most reputable information on root canals, not some fly by night quack who decided to right a book.

jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DocDave:

I wanted to wish you luck with your root canal.

I have read a lot of conflicting information.

I really dont know how much lyme has to do with it. Im sure "some" of my phantom teeth pains could be LD related. I have had a tooth that hurt SO BAD for days, i wait it out, and it just goes away. On an x-ray nothing shows up. Even with a cleaning.

I have had bad sinus headaches, i have TERRIBLE ringing in my ears and i also have TMJ. I have a night guard which i need to wear more often.

Right now, my jaw is killing me from all the injections from the past 3 days. I still believe i have a dry socket that needs to be treated.

I was up at 3am this morning in severe pain. Not a specific tooth. At this point G-d knows.

Lymielu:

Hope you are feeling better. Teeth pain sucks. Now my endodonist is saying, "well, you have so much going on with all my ABX, and LD, TMJ, its hard to know why im in so much pain.

He wants me to take soma to "relax" my jaw area. It does relax me, but it does NOT take the pain away. The only thing that works is a vicoprofen which he does not like to prescribe.

I feel like im dealing with my endometriosis problems again and getting pain meds. Its crazy. I would much rather have slept through the night and have gone shopping today than be on the phone with the office describing my discomfort. Sorry, i didnt mean to go off, im just frustrated.

I do feel for you and totally understand what your going though.

GiGi and DocDave:

I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I appreciate your posts.

Maybe someday when im feeling better, i will investigate.

When i did the search on this topic, i saw there were very strong views one way or the other. Im just an average person with no dental knowledge. All i know is im having pain and want it to stop!

Thanks to all. Again, DocDave, hope your root canal went well.

Jordan

------------------

JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first crown put on a few months ago because I somehow broke the tooth. The dentist swore I did not need a root canal.

The tooth would hurt like hell for days and then would be fine. Then it would start hurting all over again.

I went back to the dentist and he said, you don't need a root canal. He had no idea why my tooth was hurting so badly.

It hasn't bothered me in a long time now. The pain just disappeared. All I have done differently is wear my night guard every night instead of occasionally.

Maybe that is why the tooth no longer bothers me? I have no idea. Was it Lyme related? I have no idea. I'm just glad the pain is gone. I never realized how painful and annoying tooth pain can be - I would almost take any pain somewhere else on my body vs. tooth pain.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the book "Uninformed COnsent"

ANyone wants to call me a quack for trying a bio dentist, knock on my door and do it

Until then, you aint got a foot to stand on.

Cavitations and mercury in the mouth= bad news. Oh and by the way, The FDA is starting to block the use of mercury. It has already made law in some states. I guess the FDA is quacking along too.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had so much work done that i wouldnt know where to start if i had to change my teeth.

I may as well, pull them all. I cannot have false teeth at the age of 36.

You guys have me very scared.

I had all my silver filligs removed and white ones put in about 10 years ago. Since then, most of those teeth (about 5) have needed root canals.

What they are telling me is that all of my white fillings have gone bad and that is why im having so many problems.

I also had a very bad dentist at one time and she messed up at least 2-3 teeth. The fillings kept falling out, so she had to drill deeper to put a new filling in.

Everyone in my family has bad teeth. I just think its genetic. If you saw me in person you would never know how much work i have had done.

I just wanted to give you a little bit more information.

There is no way i can change my teeth or root canals.

Very bummed,

Jordan

------------------

jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW,

Jill, im glad your pain is gone. I have a night guard that i REALLY need to start using. I think that has something to do with my problems.

I just looked in my mouth, i dont have one silver filling. They are all white. I do have one gold crown in the far back. I guess there is metal under my crowns though.

Take care,

Jordan

------------------

JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try wearing your night guard every night for a few weeks and see if it helps.

It took me several weeks to see a difference.

I do clench my teeth alot - when I went to the dentist he was astonished at my teeth. The sad thing is, until the dentist told me I was doing it, I never noticed.

I can only guess that I was clenching my teeth or grinding them in my sleep.

I really don't know. I'm just glad the pain is gone. I do not go to bed w/out my guard anymore.

Try motrin for the pain. I tried everything else and nothing worked. Motrin would make the pain go away almost instantly and would last about 6 hrs. I was popping motrin right and left. I couldn't sleep without it.

Let me know how it goes.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

my root canal went fine no problems except 4 canals. pain went away immediately.
i just want evrybody to know that I was a practicing dentist for 23 years prior to my disability. I am a very conservative dentist and do believe there is quite a bit a dental problems from lyme as with all other systems of the body. I am not against biologic dentists but there is really no such thing. the specialty does not exist with the ada. the problem with going to a biologic dentist is there are only 3 biocaptible material that can be used in the body. Gold 18kt or higher, porcelain highly glazed and titanium. the second problem is all of these materials except gold foil, which is no longer done, require a cement to cement the filling, inlay or crown on the tooth. the illogic to this is THERE ARE NO BIOCOMPATIBLE CEMENTS TO CEMENT THESE IN WITH, THEREFORE NOTHING PLACED IN THE MOUTH AT THE PRESENT TIME IS BIOCOMPATIBLE.
so your fooling yourself and wasting your money if you truly think there are biocompatible materials to put in the mouth.
there are many universities working on filling made from hydroxyappetite , the material enamel is made from, but they are probably years from actual use.
Should you get all your amalgams out?
if you are severely immune compromised, and feel that it will help then by all means go ahead, and detox for mercury. Most people that have a high mercury level do not have it because of there fillings. It is due to the fact that they may live in a bad environment, eat lots of fish or seafood or other reasons. I worked with raw mercury for 2 years of my practice before they had sealed capsules and my mercury level should be sky high compared to everybody elses ,and it is normal. Beware of mercury tests, they are inherently flawed.
i have remove many amalgams and replaced with composites and people don't get better.
there is a very high placebo effect to removing amalgams from the mouth and this may be one of the reasons people do feel better.better mind equals better body.
i can fight all day but it is hopeless,people will do what they want no matter what the concensus says.
Just Beware of The Internet And All the Little info stations on the way.It is a great source of info, but the info in 50% of the cases is tainted ,so beware.

jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Docdave:

Im glad you are out of pain. Too bad about the four canals.

Thanks for writing and keeping us all informed. Funny, that i took out all my silver fillings just because i thought the white looked better.

I guess the crown has metal on it though.

Anyway, have a good night and eat something soft.

Jordan

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement