LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » needing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: needing
SpdDrv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5861

Icon 11 posted      Profile for SpdDrv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am needing to go to the ER tonight but my husband is at work and plus I don't know what I would say? I am hurting so bad it feels like my legs are on fire they burn so bad. It is mainly my knees lower legs and ankle that are hurting. I hate to go out to the ER to get stronger pain medicine bcecause I am using a duragesic pain patch now I don't want them thinking I am a dophead looking for a high. I am just someone in pain looking for some relief.
I just took another pain pill so maybe it will kick in and I can get back to sleep soon. say a prayer for me please. I am hurting and burning pretty bad right now.
Thanks,
Stacie

Posts: 220 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacie,
I'll definitely say a prayer for you. Your story is heartbreaking. This kind of thing should never have to happen.

One LLMD in Texas has standing orders at one HOSPIAL ER for all his Lyme patients: Give prescribed pain meds & no steroids & told to call or see this LLMD in the morning. The patient can actually get some pain relief with dignity.

I wish that kind of provision could have been made for you tonight.

I don't know your situation & my reply may not be relevant to the level of pain your having. I'm just trying to give you ideas for fall-back meds for future pain.

You'll probably laugh at me for what I've taken for pain. However, no one would ever give me anything but anti-inflammatories when I asked for pain meds.

I only got Percoset at dental surgery. I had been fighting this mystery pain (face, ear & neck) for 13 years without a Lyme diagnosis.

It's taken me years to figure this out, but nerve pain is so very different than other types of pain. Yours does sound like nerve pain. But wow, if Duragesic patch doesn't help, you are in some bad-time pain.

I finally started taking Elavil 10 - 20 mg dose (cheap, old anti-depressant/now used for migraines, insomnia) AND always, added to this, three 200 mg Motrin with maximum of 1200 mg daily. Elavil is a non-addictive, unusual, pain killer.

Sometimes I would eventually have to add 1 mg. of Klonopin (anti-convulsant which is also for nerve pain).

The Klonopin was just an add-on pain killer. It would take the final edge off the pain---not a pain killer per se. Yet I did need it during bad times before the Elavil kicked in & to ultimately break the pain cycle.

Elavil doesn't just suppress the pain for 2 hours like Percocet, but actually ends it. It can take a few hours to kick in, but it was the only thing I could get for my pain.

At times I would have to stay on the Elavil a couple of days------until I was sure all the pain was gone. (You can always lower the Elavil dose as you improve/split the tablet.)

High dose Elavil can cause heart palpitations (try to be up on your magnesium/Vit. E & CoQ10) & Advil can be rough on stomach so you need food with it.

Elavil will make you very sleepy. But I've had no other choice, but to sleep off the pain. I could not have stayed out of the ER, except for having the Elavil.

Also, try to keep a bottle of 10-oz. liquid Citrate of Magnesia/Magnesium Citrate for $2 on hand. It can help melt the pain away, too. Yep, it's a laxative (magnesium) available at any drug store. I get the cherry flavor. I take ONLY 1 to 2 ounces if I'm in really bad pain trouble & hope I don't get diarrhea. (I keep it refrigerated.)

As always, stay well hydrated & B-50 might help with nerve pain; also, don't underestimate Valerian. It can be a good add-on pain killer to your Elavil & Motrin.

Antibiotics are my pain killer now, but Flagyl can still bring on bouts of unbelievably painful, burning legs & feet. My LLMD said Flagyl does affect the Central Nervous System & boy does it ever.

I hope others will have some newer ideas. I know some take Topamax now, but I've never tried it. Thanks to my LLMD, I pretty much live a pain-free life now---which is no small miracle.

I still won't live a day without Elavil in my cabinet though. Sleep well.

Take Care.

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 11 July 2004).]

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firsttwin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsttwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacie,

Hello there. I have the exact same problem. The pain is in the legs from my thighs to my feet. The burning pain is bad and my feet feel like I am walking on rough grit sandpaper.

I went to the ER and didn't have any luck. I had to wait for hours and they gave me something that didn't even help.

The nerve pain in terrible. I wish I knew what to take too.

I bought some BenGay and rubbed on my legs but my family doesn't like it. I tried Aspercreame and it really doesn't help either.

I am up for suggestions myself.

Good luck with finding relief.

Take care.

Maria

Posts: 164 | From Rising Sun, MD, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielu
Member # 5652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacie and Marie,
Gosh, I wish I could transport you by magic to Recipe Girls LLMD doc. Although I was impressed with the extensive though and work that went into RGirls recommendations.
I only have my personal experience that agrees with your assessment of that pain. Except I thought I was the only one that had it. At least that is what the last pain doctor told me.
I described this intense heat rising pain that started at above the knees and would "roll" down the shins of my outer leg exactly like lava rolling down a mountain.
I thought my description was consise and to the point, although he seemed quite confused by my description of the pain symptoms. Go figure. I asked him if he had ever experienced any kind of chronic pain. He said sure, "I shot myself in the foot once and that was pretty painful"
I was tempted to explain to him the difference between the acute pain of a bullet hole and the chronic, systemic pain of disease, but I knew that it would just go completely right over his head.
Any time they don't want to prescribe, they can act as dumb as a brick.
For me the duragesic patch works best, although at 3x100mg, so that is kind of high I know.That was prescribed by a pain doc who retired last year, but he told me that the duragesic patch doesn't even get to pain relieving quality until after you pass 100mg. He was taking the patch himself.

Anyway, I was frugal last year and was able to not panic when my doc retired. I had no idea that it would be so hard to replace him. I see a LLMD in Texas, but have not heard anything about such compassion that Recipe girl speaks of. If you have the time, could you email me and point me in the direction of someone not "trigger" happy.
In the past I had so many steriod injections, that I contracted adheasions arachnoidis. It seems like the side effects, and after effects of these new fangled treatments are worse than the benefit they are supposed to treat.

I shall include you in my prayers here, although lately I think I have been delegated to the back of the line as I am not being heard very well. sorry....
Lymielu

Posts: 44 | From San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement