LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 8 months of iv

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8 months of iv
South Side
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South Side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 months later...no real improvement.

I'm scared!

Should I continue?

Help!

Posts: 15 | From New Lenox, Illinois, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran into a man, just back to work, who started to improve at about 14 months and, at 18 months, said he was back to 80% of his former self.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 12 months IV and now doing orals.Not there yet but coming along.I think some of my worst herxing was around 8 months.Hang in there, this is just different for everyone but you will be feeling better.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South Side
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South Side     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boy, i need to hear this kind of stuff

spent yesterday crying

Posts: 15 | From New Lenox, Illinois, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you go into a little more detail about your symptoms, and any improvement you might have seen? Are you on any other abx, supplements or herbs?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South Side
Member # 5594

Major neuro, stregth, balance, speech...

IV Rocephin
Doxy
Mepron
B-12 IM
Mag IM
suplements up the wazoo

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening South Side,

I just want you to know that this takes time...and much patience!

I am in my 11th month of IV therapy. Today, I worked a 10 hour day in the sun at about 100 degrees, doing manual labor (landscaping)!

Just a few short months ago, I would NOT have thought this ever possible again! (At least NOT this soon after a complete meltdown)...

Sooo...please, hang in there...there is ALWAYS hope!

Have you been on Rocephin this entire IV time?
The reason I ask, is that I believe (my own personal opinion, and that of my LLMD's)...that rocephin will only take you so far...when you begin to relapse on it...or plateau...it is time for a change, just like any other abx.

I know some who have been on rocephin for years...and are still seeing improvement. So, it just depends on your own particular response.

Anyway...just wanted to give you a glimmer of hope...

My very best,
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say what might be doom and gloom to you.

I is well documented that Rocephin, alone, will send the spirochette bacteria into a cyst form where they stay protected until you introduce the correct antibiotic to break open the cyst and another to kill the spirochette after the crust of the cyst has been broken. That was my simple explaination of what happens.

If you want documentation, I can provide that for you...you just have to ask me.

You have had this for a very long time??? and, with that said, you have to realize that this is not something you can get rid of in a short period of time.

Hang in there, and get to a real Lyme Literate Medical Doctor for they know their stuff as compared to the other ducks, er, doctors of ANY speciality, especially Infectious Docs...go to Seeking a Doctor forum. Only saying this because from what I understand, most LLMDs are no longer using IV Rocephin as their first defense against this bacteria.

Rosemary

OK, no one jump on me if you are on Recephin and getting better...like Melanie everyone's response can be different.

IMO, my doing 4.5 months of IV Rocephin (that was before I ever saw my LLMD, Dr. C of MO) only has made my bacteria more resistant. I wish I knew then, what I know now. I would never have done the Rocephin only to get a couple of weeks of any type of improvement to relapsing almost immediately after stopping it.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
South Side,

While I agree that your lack of progress may be due to the cyst form, I must contest that statement "most LLMDs are no longer using IV Rocephin..."

I don't think that's true. I think that statement reflects Rose's preference, and that of a few LLMD's she knows of.

It is true that some don't use Rocephin; and it's also true that many now recognize that a "cyst-buster" like Flagyl must be rotated in with the Rocephin.

Many also add other orals with the Rocephin; and most do a period of orals-only, after the IV is discontinued.

Dan

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that a change to flagyl would be the best idea at this point.

After using flagyl, you might try IV claforan. My doctor says he is having an 80% success rate with claforan.

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South Side
Member # 5594

thx all, i see dr b in colmar, pa.

i just feel im weaker

good stories help

i want to play w/ my 5 yr old son

Reba331
Member # 45154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reba331     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask which doctor(s) you saw for your treatment?
I'm in the same area as you and am having a difficult time finding a physician who will prescribe me a month of IV antibiotics.
I'm definitely willing to travel, but would really love to get the antibiotics going now so I can travel for some of the more agressive integrative treatments.
What other treatments has everyone used? And which one(s) have helped? Which ones have not helped?
Thank you all in advance

Posts: 3 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reba, these posts were done in 2004. South Side hasn't been here since 2004.

I suggest you make your own post in Seeking a Doctor and ask for a doc in or near Illinois who will prescribe IV.

Hopefully, folks will answer you there.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reba331
Member # 45154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reba331     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that as soon as I clixked "post". I was hoping that someone would be tagged or respond to this one as well. I did try a new post in the "searching for LLMD area" also.
Thank you for the heads up! I need all of the assistance I can get :-)

Posts: 3 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my case, I was on 16 months of abx before I was able to come off and feel like I had made headway. Is your LLMD rotating meds? I do think that is another key factor.

As far as if you should continue, I would talk to your doctor about that since it's really hard for someone to give you advice like that.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a couple runs on IV. One for 12 months and the other for six. In both cases I ended treatment not because I felt good, but because improvement has slowed to a stop. Also in both cases, I started to feel good — like damn good — after I had been off the IV for six months. Just one man's experience. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement