LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wormwood reaction indicate babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wormwood reaction indicate babesia?
BennyAndTheJets
Member # 5940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BennyAndTheJets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting significant symptoms (nausea, dizzyness, memory loss, brain fog...all normal Lyme symptoms for me) from simply taking a single dose of wormwood tincture (artemisia annua).

Does this indicate babesia?

It is my understanding that wormwood is a standard treatment for babesia, although it also kills other parasites and even candida. I have never been tested for the coinfection babesia.

Is the herx-like reaction from a single dose a back-door diagnosis of babs, or is something else going on?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that seems to be the big question all the time,is it a herx or somekind of reaction.Are you killing off bugs or becomming toxic.This whole thing is patly a guessing game,its a CRIME and its a shame.Its a disease of not many answers.Now that Ive vented I can tell you I took artemisia annua for about a week and my face sweat all the time,was it killing babs,I dont know.It is a stong herb so be careful,its not recomended you take it much longer than a couple of months.Have you tried mepron?Artemisia is usually used with mepron.Artemisian is suppose to be much stronger than artemisia.
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salatheel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salatheel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wormwood for babesia? I have taken it for cleaning parasites and it seemed after taking it I always felt better. I also have been getting those red pinprick dots they say are common with babesia.
Posts: 107 | From Milford,Ct.USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experimented with artemesia annua a year ago. I reacted so strongly to it that my MDs decided to treat me for Babs. The subsequent Babs treatment has been the turn-around for me. I still take a small dose or artemisinin with my Mepron. Joe is right, it is a strong herb. Please be careful with it. The herx can be a doozy.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds suspicious for Babs to me..

Here's a really good article:
http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/content/full/13/3/451?view=full&pmid=10885987

I would definately consider this carefully.
Some other atrimisinin derivatives target Babesia more specifically.

There is allot here if you do a search on Artimisinin.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BennyAndTheJets
Member # 5940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BennyAndTheJets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that mepron/zithromax/artemisinin is the current combo for treating babs. Can you substitute another macrolide for zithromax? Zith tears my gut apart and I have problems getting to the full dose.

I read on an orthodox medical site where the combination of quinine and clindamycin were used. Is clindamycin similiar to mepron...both anti-parasitic drugs?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benny, try Artemisinin by itself first, see if that does it.

Get the good stuff, Nutricology, here.

Proper dosing is important Click Here to Email danq

(I'm not a doctor, etc... just one of the gang)

Dan

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 18 July 2004).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BennyAndTheJets
Member # 5940

If a single dose of 36 mg of wormwood tinture pushed up such a big symptoms reaction, then what will Artemisinin do, which I'm told is 300 times more powerful than simple wormwood? Sounds dangerous.

Dan...Besides that, why would you just start on Artemisinin, and not try to bring down the load by using mepron and a macrolide?

Just curious...

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now on Artemesia, Clarithromycin and adding in Mepron shortly for Babesia.

My LLMD uses this as standard, and said none of the one things would work on it's on, but only make the babesia resistant and "impossible" to treat.

He didn't say anything about taking a break from the Artemesia.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benny, to say that Artemisinin is "300 times more powerful" is meaningless without context.

The sun is a gazillion times hotter than a frying pan, but you don't fry when you go outside - because the dosages are different.

One doesn't take as much Artemisinin as one does Wormwood. And, as I said, "proper dosing is important".

"Besides that, why would you just start on Artemisinin, and not try to bring down the load by using mepron and a macrolide?"

For one, I tested negative for Babs so the doctor wasn't going to treat (and thus in theory I had no load to bring down); and I have a history of little or no herxing; and all info that I have read indicates that Artemisinin is safe at doses far higher than I would contemplate.

Note that the herb Artemesia has many components that are not present in Artemisinin, which is a refined product. So your strong reaction does not necessarily predict anything about how you'd react to Artemisinin.

Add to that, the oft-forgotten truth:
not everything that feels bad is a herx.

Dan

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BennyAndTheJets
Member # 5940

Makes sense. Thanks.
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Just hitting on some of the questions that I didn't see answered. Clindamycin is an antibiotic aka Cleocin. It's the quinine that would be acting in lieu of the Mepron.

Another macrolide that people use instead of Zithromax is Biaxin XL.

Also, my LLMD rx'd 1 100mg NutriCology Artemisinin 3 x's a day. The bottle says 1-2 capsules 2 x's a day.

The general rule with Babs is that you have to use at least 2 things against it at the same time. Using only one will create drug resistence.

Also, babesia is a protozoa not a parasite. It attacks and destroys red blood cells.

I tried my artemisinin when I started all the other stuff. I got hit so hard, I had to stop. The next time I started up while continuing with Mepron and Zith, there was no problem at all.

Did it form resistence or did the Mepron and Zith lower the load enough for me to tolerate it? I don't know.

That's all I can add to this thread for now.

I will say that I've been treated for Lyme, Bartonella and HME for 2 years and I did not make any progress. Now that I'm being treated for Babs, I feel a whole lot better.

Good Luck,

Corgilla

[This message has been edited by Corgilla (edited 20 July 2004).]

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement