LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ears ringing / pressure / pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ears ringing / pressure / pain
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hello All,

since a few months ago my ears keep on ringing. It started out as a soft ring but has grown to an annoying 24/7 loud ring. There is also pressure from the inside and once in a while a sharp pain (short).

I was on Biaxin/Plaquenil for 4 months, when I was first diagnosed, now switched to Zithromax and Mepron about 1 month ago. I am also doing Bicillin since 4 months ago. The ear thing started before I switched meds.

Last week I had my ears checked. My hearing is fine so the ENT MD said that he did not believe the bacteria are in that part of the nerve system. He said the ringing etc. might be a side effect of the meds but did not know for sure.

It does not get less or worse with my weekly Bicillin herxes.

My LLMD says that a lot of people have ringing ears and does not know what it causes it, does not know what to do about it. Any ideas / experience?

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graneet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graneet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the ringing and seems its back. Two drugs seemed to help but took a while one was flagle and then i was on doxy. I have been off meds for about three months and i have it back. Mine is like hi pitched wires in back of head.

Its worse if you focus on it I try to keep my mind busy with other stuff.

graneet

Posts: 655 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy does this ring a bell with me!!! My head sounds like a hearing test gone wrong.

I've been treated for Lyme and Bart now for 4 months. (The ringing started a couple years ago). No physical cause for it - had my ears checked by audiologist, checked by ENT, etc.

I see a homeopath along with my LLMD.
I started using 4 different oils near my ears about 2-3 weeks ago. The ringing is still there, but the pressure and buzzing is finally gone. I am also about to start what is called Micro Current Therapy - they use it on Gulf war vets for stress therapy. They put these clips on your ears and it sends some type of current through your head. It's supposed to change your Alpha waves or something. Supposedly after 6-8 treatments, the ringing and dizziness is gone.

The oils used are 1. Helichrysum followed by 2. Geranium 3. Juniper 4. Peppermint. Also put it on tips of fingers and toes, and on the back of the head and brain-stem. Helichrysum puts off 188mghz and your head just feels different (can't explain it) after you put it on.

Anybody that wants more info - email me.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to finding a website by Dr. Gary Kaiser (microbiologist)who said Bb uses (our)magnesium, I linked 40+ lyme symptoms to Mg deficiency symptoms. The file is big. Let me know if you want it and I will email it as an attachment. It is all documented. Tincup has a hard copy and so do many others.

This is from that file:

Magnesium and Hearing - Lyme Symptom #28

``Magnesium May Shield Sensitive Ears

It's true that you won't find laboratory animals handling heavy artillery or using chain saws. But you can thank these creatures for another dietary recommendation for protecting ears: magnesium.

Magnesium-deficient lab animals exposed to noise have much more damage to the nerve cells in their cochleas than animals fed a diet adequate in magnesium, Dr. Attias says. What happens to these cells when the noise level gets too high? `The tiny hairs on these cells fuse or disappear, and they and their supporting cells eventually disintegrate, along with the nerve fibers going to these cells,' explains Dr. Attias.

Low levels of magnesium combined with noise exposure eventually deplete the cells' energy stores, leading to exhaustion, damage and death of the inner ear cells, he explains.

Low magnesium levels can also cause blood vessels, including the tiny arteries going to the inner ears, to constrict. (Remember, noise-induced vasospasm is thought to play a role in tinnitus.)

Human ears, even young, healthy, normal-hearing ones, can benefit from extra magnesium, Dr. Attias says. He found that Israeli soldiers who got an additional 167 milligrams of supplemental magnesium daily had less inner ear damage than soldiers getting placebos (blank look-alike pills).

According to Dr. Attias, a more recent study showed that supplemental intake has this same protective effect against long-term noise exposure.

If you're faced with a noisy environment, you'll want to make sure that you're getting the Daily Value of magnesium, which is 400 milligrams, Dr. Attias says. Most people fall short in that regard, with men getting about 329 milligrams a day and women averaging 207 milligrams a day.

Green vegetables, whole grains, nuts and beans are packed with magnesium. (If you're considering taking magnesium supplements, be sure to talk to your doctor first if you have heart or kidney problems.)

If your tinnitus includes a sensation of fullness in your ear and balance problems, experts recommend that you get adequate amounts of calcium and potassium as well. These additional symptoms could be a sign of Meniere's disease.''
http://home.revealed.net/jimchiro/Tinnitis(Ear-Noises).html

``Tinnitus is sometimes caused by impaired blood flow to the ears, which can happen in two ways, Dr. Seidman says. First, the tiny artery leading to the inner ear can get clogged with cholesterol, causing a kind of stroke in the ear, he explains. Second, loud noises can send this artery into spasm, reducing blood supply to the cochlea. In either case, an interrupted blood supply can lead to hearing problems.

That's where the antioxidant nutrients - vitamin C, vitamin E, betacarotine and others - come in. `Antioxidants work by helping to prevent oxygen-caused damage to cell membranes,' Dr. Seidman explains. Anti-oxidants also help keep arteries open and free of plaque buildup, experts say.

Dr. Seidman and some other ear doctors suggest that you consider a smorgasbord of antioxidant nutrients: 400 international units of vitamin E daily, 250 mg of vitamin C twice daily, 50 to 200 micrograms of the mineral selenium daily and about 50,000 international units of beta-carotene twice daily. Doses of selenium exceeding 100 micrograms daily can be toxic and should be taken only under medical supervision.'' (5)

``Magnesium, calcium and potassium are other minerals that are critical to the normal functioning of the inner ear, explains Charles P. Kimmelman, M.D., professor of otolaryngology at New York Medical College in Valhalla and a physician at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital.

Because these minerals are so important to healthy ears, some doctors tell their patients with Meniere's disease to make sure they get at least the Daily Values of these nutrients.'' (5)

OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS: Otolaryngological manifestations are common in Lyme disease, affecting up to 75% of patients. One of these symptoms is sudden deafness. Hearing loss has been frequently described in Lyme disease; on the other hand, titers seropositive for, the causal agent of this disease, have been found in almost 20% of cases of sudden deafness
PMID: 12567088

Inner Ear Disturbances
LTS: Vestibular disorders and occult nystagmus are often seen in patients with US (20,98-100). Additionally, sensorineural hearing loss that may be sudden in onset and that improves with Mg supplementation has occurred in LTS (22,98,101).

Since experimental Mg deficiency in rats intensifies hearing loss caused by sound, and Mg supplementation is protective (102-108), Mg-supplementation trials were undertaken in soldiers exposed to loud noise (of gunshots) during training, and in pilots (107). In noise-exposed pilots, the effect of oral Mg-supplement prophylaxis was tested in a placebo-controlled double blind study involving 320 volunteers with normal hearing during a two-month period for its effect on noise-induced hearing loss.

Audiograms of all test subjects were compared with pre-entry values and permanent threshold shifts were determined. Loss of hearing after exposure to noise was twice as high in the placebo group as in those receiving supplemental Mg. Prophylactic and Mg dosage effects were tested in humans occupationally exposed to repeated hazardous noise in a placebo-controlled double-blind study with 540 volunteers, who were instructed to use ear plugs when exposed to noise (108).

Hearing acuity and Mg levels in serum, rbc, lymphocytes and urine were determined before, during, and after 3-6 months of noise exposure. Subjects received a daily drink containing 3, 5, or 6.7 mmoles Mg as the aspartate or placebo. Significantly greater bilateral hearing damage, that was negatively correlated with rbc: Mg and particularly with lymphocyte Mg.

Significantly positive effects were seen at 5 and 6.7 mmole Mg dosages, in that that was less hearing loss, that correlated with elevated intracellular Mg values.
CFS and FM: My survey of the literature has not disclosed reports of deafness in CFS patients, but abnormalities of vestibular function have been found (109).

Among patients with FM, more than a quarter have low frequency sensorineural hearing loss and almost three quarters have low painful sound threshold (110), and they often complain of nonspecific dysequilibrium. verified by objective tests (110- 112). http://www.mgwater.com/clmd.shtml

It was done a long time ago, so some links may no longer work. Source #5 is: Prevention's Healing with Vitamins 1996 (book). Note: Selenium can go up to 200mcg per day. ONE Brazil nut contains a LOT of selenium.

Find and cut and paste and print out my "Updated Nutshell" post to study and to learn what is happening in this disease.

The last page contains the Romanian abstract. It indicates that early on in this disease, Mg levels drop very fast and VERY significantly (a LOT!). This is not good. They restored and maintained the level and the (2) patients recovered.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herx.

For me, it was so loud for a while that I actually had trouble hearing people's words clearly. It's pretty much gone now.

David

[This message has been edited by David95928 (edited 18 July 2004).]

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Dhonden, the tibetan Dahli Lama's physician who i just saw said that my ear ringing is caused by a kidney imbalance..so is my numbness and tingling....

interesting....someting that could have started by lyme got thrown out of whack...???

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kira
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

Everyone's experience may mean something different, but I thought I would share mine...When I got ringing ears, I just assumed it was "yet another of my weird and floating Lyme symptoms" but just happened to mention it to my home nurse during a dressing change...She called the pharmacy who called my doctor and one of my meds was discontinued because it was a sign of toxicity!!

I was fine on the same med at a lower dose, but in IV dosage, it was too much! Had I not said anything and remained on the med...I was told I could have had permanent nerve damage!!

You did the right thing to mention it to your doc!! I still get ringing in my ears whenever I get toxic from meds or anything...It's my first sign to cut back on whater I have been using!!

Kira

Posts: 802 | From Chicago suburbs, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ototoxicity
Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a very high "b", usually. I felt it was both from the lyme or babesia, and, in some cases, a side effect of the drugs. It helped to play Beethoven-- I wonder if Beethoven had ringing with whatever ailment it was that caused his deafness.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Marnie,

can you please send me the file to [email protected]? Thanks.

Way before I was dx with LD, I had daily muscle cramps in my feet. I understand that this is part of Mg deficiency. I am taking Potassium Magnesium Aspertate twice daily ( 20 mg Mg per pill) since early February and the cramps are much, much less now. They still have not gone away totally though.

If the ringing would be caused by Mg deficiency, why would it have started only a few months after I started abx treatment, including starting to take additional Mg?

How much Mg should one take anyway? In what form? can you take too much?

Ciao,

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tim,

Wow - you've got such expert, valuable responses, but you did mention ear pain so I had to jump in. These are mostly palliative measures just to stay alive with ear pain. Maybe they'll help somebody though.

Before learning about Lyme, I had excruciating, recurring left earache for 13 years, so I do understand "ear pain." (In retrospect, it was really nerve pain due to Lyme.)

For pain relief, I used RX Oticort ear drops by Bausch & Lomb consisting of 2 antibiotics and Hydrocortisone.

Yep, steroids are poison for us. However, this is the only instance I've ever seen where the LLMD said the drops were o.k. because the amount of steroid in them was so low. Also, I didn't use them everyday.

Well, it was either that or the emergency room which I was told not to come back because I had a chronic problem. I told her my pain was an emergency.

The pain had become so bad I thought about having radiation on the nerve that feeds that ear. Believe it or not, they do this in trigeminal neuralgia patients with potentially life-altering consequences.

I was more than desperate & half-dead anyway, so I thought what's the difference?

Gosh, my insurance was so great back then, I was afraid if I called their office in Dallas-----I'd just have it done. I simply didn't care anymore.

They make a special helmet for you; it's very precise, targeted radiation & usually treats brain tumors.

I never made the call, but I was always thinking about it.

I told my pain doctor I wouldn't care if they cut my ear off; at least I'd have a life.

Well, of course that wouldn't have helped the pain at all, but that's how I felt.

Anyway, another help was Silvicidal 350 ppm (a true colloidal silver) by Strictly Supplements out of Zepphyrhills, FL (702-547-9009). This not only killed the pain, but seemed to be curative. But I was never consistent with it.

For info on Silvicidal: http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/silver.htm

You can find more info on this "safe" silver when I responded to a question on silver yesterday. (Sorry, I can't pop you there as I'm still learning about posting websites, etc.)

Anyway, would have used Silvicidal more, but because it's tea-colored, and the drops appear rust-colored in the ear canal, I hesitated to use them daily 'cause I knew the docs would freak out when they saw it on exam.

Why if my pre-Lyme docs knew I had put silver in my ears--------well it wouldn't be a pretty picture. Heck, pulling a stunt like that would have probably got me an instant Psych referral.

Anyway, I finally started going to a pain doctor where I had about 25 weeks of neural therapy which is Xylocaine injections to correct the autonomic nervous system.

But the doc said I had too much infection in my body and if it didn't work by week 25-------it wouldn't work. It did help though and was a much needed respite from pain; even gave me a boost of energy.

The infection? I had an infected root canal which showed up on x-ray & had surgery to remove the tooth. The bacteria had eaten the root tips of the tooth so badly, the oral surgeon had difficulty getting them out. They were like hooks--all crumbly.

My LLMD later told me that my root canal didn't get infected, but the Lyme came in & infected the root canal.

Well, if you're still reading----- I've also used:

Ozonated Olive Oil, in small glass container $10 each. It's like an ointment in a jar. This stops the pain on contact.
http://www.ozonelab.com/pricing/pricelists/000.htm

Try to find a pain doctor that uses alternative therapies like neural therapy in your area & he might sell you some Ozonated Olive Oil without a visit------you never know.

It has to be kept refrigerated, so less hassle to find a local source-----not always easy though. They do not ship in hot summer months. Shipping resumes in September.

[This stuff is good for everything & good for parents to have on hand for their children's scrapes & cuts. Quick, grab the ozone!]

For nerve pain: I used Elavil 10 - 20 mg, plus Ibuprofen; Klonopin l mg; & don't forget Valerian.

I keep several hot gel packs around the house for my ear because I microwave them to death: The pack is called "Reusable/Multi-Purpose ICE/HEAT; microwaveable by Tru-Fit." Look for the royal blue color packs; my Wal-Mart doesn't carry them.

I found them at Eckerds drug stores in Texas. The web site that appears on the gel pack is www.tru-fit.com.

Finally the Lyme Diagnosis--- now everytime I go on a different antibiotic I get ear whirring noises/ringing/weird noises or pain (temporarily!!!) Sometimes my ear sounds like I'm listening to a huge seashell all day long.

However, the antibiotics have ultimately taken me out of a decade of pain-------better than radiation! Mepron for BABS can even cause my ear to hurt----who would have thought?

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
File sent.

PLEASE, please find on this site, my "Updated Nutshell" post and cut and paste, drop into MS word and print out that file also.

It is all documented and will explain a LOT!

I PROMISE you won't be sorry. You will have to read it over and over though. Highlight the things that you want to review many times.

Once you UNDERSTAND what is happening, you can work on the method of attack.

Wishing you a safe journey back to health,
M.

P.S. Lisa, the kidneys maintain the acid-base (electrolyte) balance. Not surprising that the eastern viewpoint "notices" kidney implications. Indeed! When Mg levels drop, K and Ca rise at first. Eventually they drop...and the body goes on a "hunt" for other ++ charges to try to compensate, to help fight this disease.

The ++ charges react with many neg. charges to produce hydrogen. Normally this is the "good" minerals reacting with EFAs - essential fatty acids. We make hydrogen all the time in our bodies...and H2O2...explained in my Updated Nutshell post. This is what keeps us healthy as we are always (constantly) exposed to pathogens.

Hydrogen (et al) INactivates PFK1. The body is trying to find an alternative route to rid the infection, since your own antibodies (which need Ca and Mg to be made) are "wounded" - Fab portion of the antibodies to Bb.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement