LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » adding plaquenil to babs cocktail anyone??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: adding plaquenil to babs cocktail anyone??
willowtree
Member # 5268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willowtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read and reread the mepron threads and haven't seen many posts about taking plaquenil (sorry can't remember how to spell it) with mepron/zith combo.

I am wondering if others have done this and if they have any comments or tips. I am about to add this drug.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 32 | From Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mammachase
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mammachase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take plaquenil with biaxin if that helps, been on it for 2 months and nothing yet, but have had lyme for 2 years before diagnosed, so from what I gather it's going to be a long road!!!!
Posts: 190 | From Bourne, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make sure you get a baseline eye exam before starting the Plaq. I found it very helpful with my treatment,which was w/Zith and Mepron and something else.Can't keep up with it all sometimes.Goodluck.
Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it w/Biaxin, Mepron, & rotated the Mep for the Malarone. It didn't do much for me, other than cause my hair to fall out. When I stopped it, my hair came back
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on plaquenil since the beginning - 6 mos worth.

just in the past month or so have been noticing some eye symptoms. will be asking the doctor about that next week.

otherwise i don't think it has done much for me. i can't tell - that is the only one that has been constant throghout the past 6 mons.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For two months I have been on zith, plaquenil, mepron and omnicef for Lyme and babesia.

Previously I was treated for years for Lyme only and I never improved until the above combo was started.
In the past plaquenil has made my hair thin out but it grew back when I stopped it.
The tingling and numbness and squeezing sensation in my lowerlegs and feet has completely resolved on this regimen, but, in general, I feel tired, more so than usual, my appetite is down and I have lost 10 pounds.

I take a lot of probiotics. I find it is hard to proceed without knowing what to expect.

I am particularly worried about the possibility of damaging my GI tract by changing the flora and I hope I don't get "leaky gut".

To answer your question, I have taken plaquenil and biaxin for as long as a year in the past without and side effects.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be careful with adding Plaquenil and definitely I would recommend asking your LLMD about its immune suppression properties.

I was on it in combination with Biaxin, but I just found out that I now have a mycoplasma co infection that is resistant to Biaxin.

My theory now is that the Plaquenil was just further suppressing my immune system and allowing the mycoplasma to continue to proliferate.

It's just a theory. I was also on IV Rocephin for lyme.

[This message has been edited by Mathias (edited 23 July 2004).]

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willowtree
Member # 5268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willowtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for your comments. i had heard about immune suppresion as well and was kind of wondering.

the impression i got was that the plaqeunil is also a cyst buster....

the hair falling out thing makes me cringe. this happened to me while i was on flagyl. it stressed me out with worry every time i brushed my hair.

now i am dying of stomache pain after three weeks of the yellow paint and have two bottles sitting in the wings calling my name. anyone else have stomache pain with mepron. i take loads of probiotics but with mepron not being a antibiotic i don't think this will help if i take more?? am i just stupid to think this....

i hate this life.

willow

Posts: 32 | From Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement