LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Artemisinin be used with Zith, Mepron and flagyl, anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Artemisinin be used with Zith, Mepron and flagyl, anyone?
Murt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on zithromax, Mepron and just started Flagyl. Does anyone know if it would be too much to add Artemisinin to the mix.

Also is 250 mg of flagyl every 6 hours a normal dose? Thanks for any info.

Posts: 104 | From Thornton Pa. USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good combo. adding the artemesia and then artemisinin from Allergy Research finally got rid of the gd babesia.
I was on the mep zith combo for over two and a half years. adding the art did it for me and I had a real stubborn case.
I might add it in after a while tho so the onslaught isnt too much for you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also found artimesia/artimisinin to be very powerful against babesia- I took it along with many combis, including 'malerone'/'biaxin'/doxy and tinidazole/'biaxin' and had no interaction problems (just the normal "adjustment reactions" and "herxes", which got better after a while.
I started with a lower dose and increased (as LLMD recommended).
Also I alternated extract (artimisinin) with the raw herb, sometimes taking one of each. (This was my own experiment, and it seemed to be the way to go for me; I had good results. I used the "allergy research" brand, also.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff!
I took Mepron/Zithromax/artemesia and it kicks butt! Make sure its for atleast 4 months and to check your blood regularly.

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the recommended dose of the artemesinin again?

I have the 100mg for Allergy Research Group.

I took one today just to see if i would have a bad reaction. I guess i didnt because im typing on lyment. :-)

You can take Flagyl while on the Mepron/Zithromax? How many 250mg pills are you going to take a day?

I thought Ceftin might be another option?

Have a great night,

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Artemisinin for several months now with different combinations (first Ceftin/malarone, then Ceftin/malarone, Zitromax and now Ceftin/Zithromax/Plaquenil_.

My doc seems to think that Artemisinin is better than Artemisia. I'm not sure about the recommended dose. The doc had me build up. I take 3, 100 mg tablets per day.

He recommended Nutricology brand. I bought directly from them until someone pointed me to organic pharmacy where it was 1/2 the price. I called Nutricology to make sure it wasn't a scam and it's not. They said Organic Pharmacy buys it in large lots so they get a big discount. Here is their website: http://www.organic-pharmacy.com/ARG.Artemisinin.htm

[This message has been edited by gopats (edited 24 July 2004).]

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrengthToStrength
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrengthToStrength     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Murt1:

Also is 250 mg of flagyl every 6 hours a normal dose? Thanks for any info.

The dosing schedule for Flagyl is usually 2x or 3x a day instead of 4x. (Flagyl half life is 8 hours and with Flagyl and Lyme Disease, you are typically trying to hit a _level_ of drug in your body, not _duration_)

mg/kg dosing info (for malaria) for artemsinin can be found easily through Google. I personally did 900mg a day of Allergy Research for 10 days.

Wow, 4 antimalarial drugs... good luck!

Posts: 236 | From D.C. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered mine through organic pharmacy also!

Did adding the artemisinin make you herx hard? Did you notice a difference at all?

Im on my second bottle of Mepron. This whole last month i have felt pretty sick.

Thanks,

Jordan

------------------

[This message has been edited by jbgoth (edited 24 July 2004).]

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing Mepron, Zithro, and Artemisinin now (been on it for the past two and a half months). I'm also on the Allergy Research Group brand Artemisinin and my dosage is 2 100mg capsules three times a day for a total of 600mg a day. I think it's making a difference, but it's unclear if I really had lingering Babesia or not.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see others have taken advantage of the organic pharmacy I posted.

Its ridiculous to pay so much for that , when you can get it for 17.00.

How ya doing Murt?

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4206

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Murt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the input. I don't think anyone was doing the mepron,zith, flagyl
combo though.

Well anyway I am off the mepron for a while.
and half the dose of flagyl.
I gave myself a little break.

Jody I feel the same as you right now.
The two of us together would not be able to make change of a dollar

Posts: 104 | From Thornton Pa. USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe no way Murt! I just spent five minutes looking in the coffee pot for my sons applesauce.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help-

Sort of confused.

With all those combos and the art. am I hearing it can be used with almost any abx. combo ?

Lets put it this way--what would you NOT take art. with ??

Have a bottle growing old on the shelf but my babs protocol is supposed to be Clin/quinne--haven't done it yet.

Would rather use art. for the babs but never have been sure what to take with it----except garlic.

Thanks for any light on my beat up brain which has a hard time putting things together right now-especially.

Choc.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen any contraindications for taking artemesinin with other drugs, but that may be as much due to lack of research as anything. There does seem to be excellent documentation on artemisinin alone for malaria and cancer in particular.

Flagyl is hard on the liver and can cause a major change in liver enzymes and lead to liver damage. This is mostly considered to be reversible if caught in time, according to my reading. Ultimately, all long term abx are hard on the liver, but flagyl seems to be of special concern.

My doc and ND both have concerns about the long-term effects of artemesinin on the liver, and recommend taking a break from it at least every 5 months, staying off it for at least a month, and doing a liver cleanse before restarting.

We're on 300 mg artemesinin, also nutricology brand, 2 x a day (600 mg total), along with mepron, zithromax, and bicillin. Absolutely no problems so far. Have done a couple of very short (one 6 day and one 4 day } abx breaks and liver cleanses in the past 4 months. If you buy in bulk (4 bottles or more) you can often get great deals online -- I think I got my last batch from outletnutrition.com, and it was 14.50 a bottle for Nutricology brand.

So I think WildCondor is right -- be sure to watch your liver enzymes and go for it. We herxed significantly on artemisinin, so start slow.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 01 August 2004).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This just in ... for malaria, not babesia, but it's encouraging. Doesn't state the dosage of artemisinin, which is annoying

Combination Therapy with Artemisinin Effective at Fighting Malaria http://www.overpopulation.com/articles/2004/000003.html

By Brian Carnell

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

A review of existing studies of anti-malarial compound artemisinin recently concluded that adding the Chinese folk remedy for malaria to existing anti-malarial drugs increased the effectiveness of those drugs in fighting malaria.

The International Artemisinin Study Group looked at 16 clinical trials involving 6,000 patients who were administered artemisinin along with other anti-malarial drugs. Artemisinin is an extract from sweet wormwood has been used for centuries in Asia to treat malaria.

Their review found that adding artemisinin to existing compounds doubled the rate of parasite clearance (the level of parasites removed from the blood) with no additional side effects. Additionally, patients taking artemisinin combination therapies were less likely to suffer a relapse of the disease after ending treatment.

In an article in Lancet describing the results of the survey, the International Artemisinin Study Group wrote,

If used widely, this inexpensive, fixed-dose artemisinin-based combination antimalarial could make important contributions to 'rolling back malaria'.

Sources:

Drug cocktail 'may beat malaria'. The BBC, January 2, 2004.

Drug combinations for malaria: time to ACT?. The Lancet, January 3, 2004.

Combination therapy, the best way to tackle malaria: Lancet. January 2, 2004.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minoucat--

Now that's what I call a great and really informative reply--thanks.

Wish they would have given dosage and named other drugs which worked well with it--

I'm thinking using it with the Clind/quinne protocol--hmmmmm---maybe not.

But maybe after the protocol---

Anyway-kudos for swift reply-

Choc.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement