LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone taking provigil for fatigue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone taking provigil for fatigue
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,
I am wondering if there are any of you out there that have been prescribed provigil(modafinil) 200 mg tablets manufactured for Cephalon inc. West Chester PA.
I looked it up through my computer so I know of the side effects that could come from it's use.
I was just wondering in any of my lyme friends have been prescribed this medication and if they have experienced any bad reactions from it's use.
So far with me it's acting like a mental speed...go faster. It does'nt necessarily give me more energy physically which is really what I need...I have'nt really tested it out physically yet, like doing some physically demanding work or play (like trying to get off the couch on my bad days)
and my monthly flareup seems to have been a short episode this month and I got this sample after my worst day....perhaps it's the reason I had a short episode physically.
This stuff is supposed to keep you mentaly more alert and focused however I seem to have my lyme fog anyway...due to my monthly flare up or because of this medication keeping me awake for four nights.
Yeah I sleep a whole lot less on this drug than anything previously and this is not too desireable because I never got that much sleep prior to the medication...just on the feelings of being on guard ever since I got sick with the lyme infection.

Any and all responses are welcome!
thanks in advance the zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrdsmom
Member # 5630

Icon 7 posted      Profile for mrdsmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Zman,

I take 200mgs in the AM and 100mgs at lunch. Provigil doesn't really give me much energy but it does keep me awake. It hasn't given me any bad side effects. My doctor plans on increasing the dose, but we waiting for results from my neurologist before she changes any prescriptions. She had given me a free sample back in April when I went to Florida with my family to help me get thru the trip. It then took 2 months to clear it thru insurance, but now that I have it, it's one med that I NEVER forget to take!

Take Care,
Carol

Posts: 56 | From Belvidere,NJ USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 5952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Fatigue is one of my worst symptoms. I would be interested to know if this medication helps with your physical fatigue.

Mark

Posts: 12 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one drug that was prescribed to me by a neuro before knowing what I had.

MS had not been ruled out or dx yet.

There was a lot of talk on mswatch website when I was trying it out.

When I saw my LLMD and was dx with lyme, he suggested I hold off on taking any more of it for now.

When I did take it, the first two days were great. I felt as if I had my strength back.

I also used it to help me get through several days of work when I was trying to return to work and still looking for answers.

I used it along with a lot of coffee and excedrin extra strength.

The down side was that I was so wired, I was not able to sleep and would sleep around the clock on my days off.

It was during the time we worked 3 days off 4 days due to holidays and then worked 4 days and off 3 days, etc. I also started back to work in the middle of the week in order to help matters.

Well, it all caught up with me and I crashed at work and couldn't get back up. They couldn't even get a blood pressure reading on me.

I slept around the clock for 2 weeks after that.

From what I have read, it helps some people and doesn't help others.

Some feel like it is the same as having lots of caffeine.

I liked it when it worked, but it didn't always work for me.

It was created for narcolepsy so it does turn something on in the system and keep it on.

I haven't used it in over a year or so. I think about using it again every now and then but haven't yet.

I think it is worth giving it a try to see how it works for you. I needed to take it very early as I found it kept me wired for about 12 hours.

On other days, it didn't help at all.

On the other hand, I have heard others say that it has given them there life back and they would not be able to work without it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That stuff made me very wired & seemed to stir up the fog, big time. I ended up taking ENADA NADH instead and it helps.
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This med is supposed to be the answer to speed for narcoleptics...keeps the person awake, yet doesn't jazz them up in the same way that speed can.

Well, it keeps me awake alright. I took half of the sample and was clearly awake for 10 hours and had a hard time getting back to sleep that night.

The trouble for me is that I should take it in the morning, but when I thin of taking it is when I'm zonked toward the afternoon. If I take it then, my sleep patterns get fouled up, and as you all know, that's what a lot of us fight all the time.

I still use it if I can remember to take it in the AM...It doesn't increase brain fog for me, but I'm going through a period with less brain fog anyway. Perhaps I'm not the right person for that piece of this.

The big challenge for lyme patients in general is to remember that we need more rest than the average person, or the person that we were before lyme. It's easy to fall into taking the provigil to sustain levels that we had before we were sick, or to sustain levels that we are capable of on our good days between herxes.

We have to be very aware of what our disease process each day when we take provigil. When I'm herxing, I won't touch the stuff. If I'm herxing I need to be sleeping as much as my body will allow, not challenging the process. It's easy for me to take it and ignore my lyme body's needs..that would lead to a huge crash for me.

I also won't take it for more than two days in a row. Just one of my little rules to keep me in touch of where I am with my symptoms.

I think Provigil is a big help and certainly is better than traditional stimulant medication. I just have to be very cautious about how and when I use it.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well THankyou very much for answering my inquiry about the drug I'm taking now.

I did notice I seemed a little wired. The package said that I was to be more alert and I found I was in more of a lyme fog all day long. I have'nt gotten much sleep either since I started the drug. It does keep me awake durring the day but I'm not sure yet about any particular energy boost.

I'll keep you posted down the road a little farther as to any side effects and or any energy level increases...If I forget next month or so will one of you be kind enough to remind me? Thanks again...the zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When fatigue sets in rest is needed.
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement