LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone worry about passing lyme to others?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone worry about passing lyme to others?
KH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4170

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

A little intro into my history: My husband was bit last summer '03 and went into treatment within 2 weeks of being bit. At the time I was already 6 months pregnant. He ended up also having babesia, so the 8 month treatment did nothing for him longterm, and long story short I got lyme from him about 3 months after the baby was born. We were so scared that I would get this during my pregnancy that we barely gave each other little pecks on the cheek. I am very happy to have a son now, and am grateful he his healthy.

My concern now is that we could give this disease to him with just everyday contact. I worry about sneezing and coughing, and am constantly washing my hands. My husband runs alot and am afraid of even his sweat. I have read some medical articles stating that the borrelia has been found in tears and sweat. But then at the same time I think if it was that contagious then pretty much everyone would have lyme.

What do others here think? Does anyone have any words of advice? Is there anyone out there with healthy kids but the parents have this?

We are both being treated for babesia and lyme. I was neg for babs at bowen but my llmd want to be sure.

Posts: 101 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graneet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graneet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as i know it isnt that easy to transfer it as you said everyone would have it.

Sexual is the most viable way and some say thats not it to.

I also worry about grandkids sharing my drink. Or misquitos bitting me and then other family members.

But i dont think you ahve to worry about it being that easy.

Especially if were on meds for the lyme.

Just enjoy your baby try not to worry. Thats not good for you either.
Graneet

Posts: 655 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posed this question to my Lyme doctor recently. He said it can be transmitted to others through the blood. So you'd have to have open wounds, cuts, etc. That's the current assessment. It could change. He reminded me that the bacteria causing Lyme are in the same family as Syphilis. I'd like a divorce from that family.

Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC
Member # 5767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I unfortunately can relate to your worries. My husband and I were both diagnosed with Lyme this spring. We are very worried about our three young children.

Our children are currently being tested by Igenex. We don't know when we contracted the disease so we do not know if they were exposed prenataly.

The important thing to remember is to give you precious child all the love and affection he needs. Be cautious but don't let your fears interfear with the love you show him. Little ones need a great deal of physical contact for healthy development.

In our home we try to be very careful but mostly we do a lot of praying. We pray that our children do not have Lyme, and that they will not get it.

But we are thankful to God that we now know what to watch for and how to react should they contract the disease.

Please try to relax and enjoy your precious little son.

We will be praying for your family as you deal with your fears. Just remember you are not alone in this.

SC

Posts: 71 | From Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did pass Lyme and all co-infections to my husband. He ended up with Parkinsonism, very severely, but is now cured. Read some of my posts.

I have a sweet little granddaughter and I am extremely careful, still after being cured myself, not to share eating utensils, etc. I also was extremely careful with body contact when I still was really ill.

Worrying it not good - but taking precautions is important. One can get reinfected again.

That's why some doctors call it a family disease. My doctor does.

Wash your hands. Keep your house and pets clean.

P.S. My husband may have not gotten infected via me if he had not been so stressed out because he was taking care of me, washing, dressing, cooking, etc. We often wonder what would have happened - I was left side paralyzed and he lost his motor functions -- if we both had been struck down at the same time!!!!!!!!!! Thank God, I was first, and got better after a few years, and then was able to take care of him for another few years

You can be cured! We are. Learn all you can. It takes more than just antibiotics.

Good luck.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do. Especially because I am single. But if I am involved with anyone I give them all the information I have and let them make the call.

The last boyfriend is fine.

The one before that is not. He is very very sick with an IV. But he wont get tested for Lyme and doesnt want to know what is wrong with him.

Let me clarify. I am not worried about everyday contact.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sexually Transmitted ??? http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017501.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023077.html http://www.ktvu.com/video/3547022/detail.html
http://www.lymediseaseaudio.com/mdl.htm

My wife has it now never bitten by a tick.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to wonder if my fiance gave it to me.
He had the bullseye and was treated right away but still has occasional symptoms.

I was playing in the woods a lot - running/mtn biking - when I met him but never noticed a bite or rash.

Right after we got serious I became sick. Coincidence? We do live in an endemic area.
Who knows......
could have been sexually transmitted too.

took forever for them to diagnose me so i am a lot worse off than he is. :-(

at least one of us is well!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement