LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New ideas about the spread of Lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New ideas about the spread of Lyme disease
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link for this article is
www.samento.com.ec/sciencelib/4lyme/Townsendhowens.html

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting article. However, before sharing this article with a physician (for example) I would have liked to see more references and documentation for statements such as:

"Biology professor, Lida Mattman, author of Cell Wall Deficient Forms: Stealth Pathogens, has been able to recover live spirochetes of Bb from mosquitos, fleas, mites, semen, urine, blood, and spinal fluid."

Yes, it mentions the work of Lida Mattman, but this would have been more effective if the official findings of Mattman's research were also quoted and referenced.

I am not denying that Bb can be spread in such ways. There must be some reason why so many people have it other than through tick bites. But this information would have so much better an impact if the laboratory findings were in more detail and referenced so that the stated research could be looked up in the mentioned journals in order that individuals that doubt these claims (some medical professionals, etc.) could see the facts for themselves.

It concerns me that as we try to educate the public regarding Lyme that our efforts don't come off as being panic-driven.

My brain isn't working well today so I don't know if what I am trying to say makes sense. But personally I would shy away from distributing any information referenced by articles with such panic-sensational titles as "You could be a victim of a Monster Epidemic!", etc.

Anyone else get what I am trying to say here?

This article would be great if all claims as to the spread of Bb were reference in widely accepted journals. Such as are papers written by many of the ILADS team.

I thought I would edit here to clarify that when I said "shy away from distributing" I didn't mean to shy away from distributing here or elsewhere among the Lyme community. I meant shy away from distributing to those unknowledgeable about Lyme for education purposes.

[This message has been edited by tabbytamer (edited 29 July 2004).]

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end of the article kind of made me feel like one of the X-Men!

My dad had mentioned to me that there was a government facility on some island outside of Lyme, CT and that he wouldn't be surprised if LD was some form of biological warfare gone awry, but I kind of thought he and my uncle were just off on another one of their conspiracy theory's again . . .

I guess I'll have to tell him that smarter, more educated people than myself agree with him.

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme has been isolated in biting flies and gnats in France.

I used to have the case studies somewhere...

Also, Czeckslovakia.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 3 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kara,

Yes! "Case Studies" was the term my brain was searching for. Thanks.

I would welcome links to case studies regarding Bb transmission (from other than ticks)if anyone has them--something I could hand to a regular doc with hope that they would give the info some consideration.

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, Willie Burgdorfer, as in Borreliosis burgdorferi, found, except for mites (I think), the same thing. I believe he documented it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slcd...Read Lab 257...I think this is what your Dad and uncle were talking about.

We just had a new lab built in our town.Next to a Vet school.They also mentioned it was a HOME SECURITY lab.After reading Lab 257 I was not a happy camper.That site (Plum Island),home of Lab 257 is a disgrace.Shows you how corrupt gov't agencies are.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see the paragraph towards the end of the document:

"The United States maintains a biological warfare research laboratory on Plum Island directly across Long Island Sound from the sites where Lyme Disease and West Nile Disease were first encountered in Old Lyme and Madison, Connecticut. Massive deaths of birds are common at the sites where West Nile viral disease appears, suggesting that the illness may afflict birds before entering humans. Dr. Warren Levin of Wilton, Connecticut states that 56% of the families in Wilton have at least one family member with LD. Could seagulls containing crystalline mycoplasma fermentens and West Nile Virus have escaped or been released from Plum Island?"

I don't know bout you, but I find this hard to believe. But more importantly, such speculations should be avoided in serious articles. In fact, such statements rarely appear in serious articles. I find the article very interesting, but not very trustworthy.

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way to prevent birds from landing and taking off of an island. Case in point..Mt. Athos.

Mt. Athos contains many monastaries in Greece. No females are allowed on the island. Not even female animals..except for 2 things cats..and birds. Because over the centuries it was found it was impossible to prevent those 2 from coming and gowing.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Considering Plum Island was started in the 1940's and the person put in charge was originally head of Hitler's bioweapons division..who knows what they were doing out there.
salatheel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salatheel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread, and I don't doubt it's authenticity. I for one think it's likely true. M.S.,Lyme,Fibro,CFS all are now exploding through the population.
Posts: 107 | From Milford,Ct.USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeit
Member # 5018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link worth reading for info on different forms of transmission
www.canlyme.com/sex.html

Posts: 43 | From Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your thoughts. Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients is a very respected journal so its encouraging Lyme is getting a bigger journal. Yea sure some of the things are a little speculative and are taken from Donald W. Scott of the Common Cause Foundation.

I found the idea of Lyme being transmitted through pasteurised milk interesting.

With Long term infection I hold to the view that a pulsing regime is generally best with emphasis put on diet and detox. I personally feel we put too much faith in the wonder powers of antibiotics on this board.

healing thoughts,

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticise the board. I've just taken a few months off antibiotics to try and sort out my diet and am now back on the antibiotic route wiser and older! Looking forward to my next herx! But I guess we can take comfort from the fact that we are on the cutting edge of medical deveopments!!

Healing thoughts,

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Does Anyone know of another article that says roughly the same thing but better?

Healing thoughts,

Wallace

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement