LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Not doing well........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not doing well........
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok here goes.......I have been crying on and off really feeling like I am not gonna make it through this......I have been in treatment for 3.5 months after 8 months of being undiagnosed.

Yesterday at the LLMD I found out I have borderline Bartonella Infection, Mycoplasma, maybe Babesia(all tsts were negitive though)and an immune system that is barely functioning.

I have been on Doxy, Biaxin for 3.5 months and levaquin for almost 3 weeks. I was feeling some improvement in symptoms from the doxy, biaxin. When I added the levaquin my symptoms started creeping back in. I don't think this is a herx.....it just feels like a return of symptoms that had previously diminished.

After my visit with the doc yeaterday I was very depressed......3.5 months of abx and my immunition system is shot and I am beginning to feel like crap again. Sine I have only been on levaquin 2 weks shewants me to stay on my current combo until mid September at which time I will stop levaquin, take a drug holiday for a week and then restart a new combo which will have mepron;biaxin or zithro; and doxy or mino.

I am eating a healthy low carb (occassional whole grain) diet. About 70% of my foood is organic. Even my soap and shampoo have been changed to natural proucts.

I take a huge amount of high quality supplements. Too many to list.

I exercise when possible.

I guess I expected to be getting better. In the last week I have deveeloped chest pain...My LLMD want s me to see a cardiologist although she said she didin't hear anything abnormal.

So I am sooooo depressed. I have a very supportive partner and feel blessed for that.....stil don't feel like there is anyone I can really talk to that understands that I feel my life has been stolen form me.....I thought I was gonna get it back but now I am not so sure.....
Can my innune system recover from this assault?

Do we have a chat room on here where we can chat in real time? I need some help here....

Thanks for reading all this,
robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,

Im so sorry you are feeling sad.

I probably went undiagnosed for at least 16 years.

I started my ABX about 3 months ago.

I know how hard it is.

It sounds like you are doing everything right and that makes it more frustrating.

My first month was amazing on doxycyline. All of my joint pain was gone in just 3 weeks.

I got switched to Mepron/Zithromax to treat babs. The first month was kinda uneventful. But the past month has been HORRIBLE!

I have to keep telling myself that i am getting better. I think this whole last month has been a herx.

Hang in there. I wish there was a chat too.
You can email me anytime.

Take care,

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,

I was impressed as I read your post on what you are doing for yourself and the positive things in your life.

You are a strong person. I have a feeling everything will be OK. It will just take time.

Please give yourself a pat on the back for getting to a LLMD, changing to organic as much as possible, taking the supplements, eating a low carb diet, trying to get some exercise in, etc.

When I find myself the lowest, it is when I am trying to do too much.

Maybe you are going through one of those times when you need to just rest.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graneet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graneet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless your heart, your not alone in feeling like this. Im so glad you have a great support system i also have that and thank GOD for it. So many are not as fortunate.

This depression,fears are quite normal. Especially when you first get sick. Your life changes so dramatically its hard to cope with it and being sick at the same time.

You are on the right track though it will take a while with lots of determination to follow threw. Once all those issues coinfections are delt with you will begin to level out and hopefully feel better.

Maybe your doc can perscribe an antidepresant for you. Lyme causes this its not like the regular depression its lyme induced.

Hang in there and come in here as often as need be when you need to talk. There are a lot of great people in here. Many even tho very sick are so knowledgable about every aspect of this desease and co-infections.

Graneet

Posts: 655 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks jordan, kam and graneet for the support......it helps to hear that I can get beter when I am feeling like this.

I really like my LLMD just wondering how you know if she has me on theright course of treatment. She is an LLMD, amember of ILADS,and has about 100 other lyme patients (a rough guess)so I gues she knows what she's doing.

It' just so hard to feel so bad.....I nkow you all know abut this.

Thanks again............I am gonna try to nap now.

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lsudvm
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsudvm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robi:
Ok here goes.......I have been crying on and off really feeling like I am not gonna make it through this......I have been in treatment for 3.5 months after 8 months of being undiagnosed.

Yesterday at the LLMD I found out I have borderline Bartonella Infection, Mycoplasma, maybe Babesia(all tsts were negitive though)and an immune system that is barely functioning.

I have been on Doxy, Biaxin for 3.5 months and levaquin for almost 3 weeks. I was feeling some improvement in symptoms from the doxy, biaxin. When I added the levaquin my symptoms started creeping back in. I don't think this is a herx.....it just feels like a return of symptoms that had previously diminished.

After my visit with the doc yeaterday I was very depressed......3.5 months of abx and my immunition system is shot and I am beginning to feel like crap again. Sine I have only been on levaquin 2 weks shewants me to stay on my current combo until mid September at which time I will stop levaquin, take a drug holiday for a week and then restart a new combo which will have mepron;biaxin or zithro; and doxy or mino.

I am eating a healthy low carb (occassional whole grain) diet. About 70% of my foood is organic. Even my soap and shampoo have been changed to natural proucts.

I take a huge amount of high quality supplements. Too many to list.

I exercise when possible.

I guess I expected to be getting better. In the last week I have deveeloped chest pain...My LLMD want s me to see a cardiologist although she said she didin't hear anything abnormal.

So I am sooooo depressed. I have a very supportive partner and feel blessed for that.....stil don't feel like there is anyone I can really talk to that understands that I feel my life has been stolen form me.....I thought I was gonna get it back but now I am not so sure.....
Can my innune system recover from this assault?

Do we have a chat room on here where we can chat in real time? I need some help here....

Thanks for reading all this,
robi

I think all of us go thru the depression over
the huge changes we have to make in our lives.
I hate change and fight it like crazy. You go thru a grieving process, you have lost your old life and have to adjust to a new one. You miss your old lifestyle. I have had many teary eyed moments too. How do you know your immune system is shot?? What did your latest CBC/CHEM PANEL say?? Drs.will treat illnesses even if the tests come back negative. This is based on your clinical signs. I have numerous meds to take too. I try to eat healthy. I do yoga twice a week. I was water skiing, wakeboarding, high impact aerobics, jogging, weight training...before the lyme. I was ill for 1yr & 5months before I was dx by a LLMD. I took zith.& flagyl for one month---no change. I took Biaxin for 8 months; no change. Yes, it is very frustrating. I am waiting for my next tx plan. My neurologicol symptoms have worsened. I feel like I'll never
get better too. Yoga has been the best thing I
have done. It helps with muscle stiffness and aches, jt. aches too. It is a support group for me too. Just about everybody in the class has some type of ailment. Find something you are able to do that will bring you joy and happiness. The fact that I am doing what I can
health-wise does cheer me up. Last week I was bitten by another tick. I have the erythema migrans this time. I hate ticks!!! I have chest pains too. They originate from my sterum. This is a symptom of LD. I hope you get to feeling better. Is your Dr. tx your depression??? It needs to be addressed if it hasn't been already. Chin up, there are other people with LD that have it a lot worse than you or me. I think about those that have it and don't know it. They definately suffer.

Posts: 40 | From Brandon, MS. USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salatheel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for salatheel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take care Robi, and keep your chin up! I gave up my overtime at work and although I need the money working fewer hours has helped me a lot. I don't feel as exhausted. Have you tried seeing a Naturopath?
Posts: 107 | From Milford,Ct.USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi! You need to talk to your LLMD about the depression. I fought mine on the anti-depressants - I thought I could handle it - but you know what? It's bigger than we are - and once on the anti-dep. you realize how much better your day is when your not crying all the time. Not to mention it is physically draining to have alot of crying jags every day. You need your strength to heal.

And what I put my family thru by not going on the anti-depressents in the beginning. I mean my husband would tell me the car needed an oil change, and I would burst out crying. Life got more on an even keel once on meds.

I was only on them for 2 years, and have been off of them for 9 mo's now, and doing OK.

Try to keep in mind that the cure is worse than the disease, but it does get better.

I just finished leviquin, and I noticed the weepies came back some while on that - but I was also overdoing and not sleeping much at all. I didn't feel that way on the mepron, so maybe when you switch it will lift some.
(((hug))) ~Cindy~

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi! You need to talk to your LLMD about the depression. I fought mine on the anti-depressants - I thought I could handle it - but you know what? It's bigger than we are - and once on the anti-dep. you realize how much better your day is when your not crying all the time. Not to mention it is physically draining to have alot of crying jags every day. You need your strength to heal.

And what I put my family thru by not going on the anti-depressents in the beginning. I mean my husband would tell me the car needed an oil change, and I would burst out crying. Life got more on an even keel once on meds.

I was only on them for 2 years, and have been off of them for 9 mo's now, and doing OK.

Try to keep in mind that the cure is worse than the disease, but it does get better.

I just finished leviquin, and I noticed the weepies came back some while on that - but I was also overdoing and not sleeping much at all. I didn't feel that way on the mepron, so maybe when you switch it will lift some.
(((hug))) ~Cindy

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robi,

Sorry you are not doing well.

What strain of mycoplasma do you have?

My LLMD just found my myco infection 3 weeks ago and thinks it is the key to me getting better. I've been on antibiotics for 10 months with little success.

Mycoplasma are tough to get rid of, just like lyme is. Some strains are harder than others and are resistant to many antibiotics.

I had the same thing happen to me when I started Levaquin.

[This message has been edited by Mathias (edited 02 August 2004).]

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds awful but hang in there--you really can't let some little threadshaped bug win. Really, get out a spool of thread, snip off an inch and look at it. Does that stupid little bundle of fiber have the right to beat you in a contest of wills? No, of course not. Get out there and teach it a lesson.

By the way, this weekend, I went back to the island where I got bitten four years ago, with revenge fantasies of hunting down every last deer, baking them all into pie, and selling them at the local Sunday market. The path where I got bit runs along this idyllic beachside resort, and on the porch of every house, people were partying, dancing to music, sunbathing, having margaritas that I am no longer allowed to drink.

As I passed the exact spot where I met this fatal deer, who of course has moved on with his life and never given me a second thought, I got really depressed and angry and jealous, and was raging about how I lost all this time, how I have no future now, blah blah blah.

At that exact moment, an old friend jogged by. He whipped off his fashionable headphones and sunglasses (he was looking considerably more buff than he did four years ago, by the way), and screamed, Hey, how are you?!? We got to talking, and before I could launch my whole Lyme story, he said, I have to tell you, I've been really, really sick, too. And it turns out that two years ago, he came down with meningitis out of the blue, went into a coma, permanently lost his hearing in one ear, and lost his job. It took him years to get back to being able to jog again, and that's when he ran into me. For all that I've been through with Lyme, babesia, mycoplasma, heavy metal detox, etc., what I went through is nothing compared to that. He's proved to be a much braver spirit. To the victor go the spoils.

Also, you mention certain "big gun" abx looming in your future. Having been on nearly every abx, please allow me a very subjective, biased plug for minocycline over doxy. I'm taking it now along with flagyl, DMSA, and a bunch of herbs and supplements, and even at a low dose, see a big difference. The herx is the worst of all, but it may save you time in the long run.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also impressed with all the things you are doing for yourself. I can't think that much its hurts my Lymie brain hehe.

Hey man it gets better then worse then better. But it does get better. I am on my 12th week of IV treatment. Ive been in treatment 2 and a half years. I have had Lyme for 14 years. Im 22.
only diagnosed 2 and half years ago hence treatment then.....

Babs, Bart....no mycoplasma yet but he keeps testing me so who knows. I have good days and bad days, but I am alive and I go to class and I go swimming even with my blue thing on my arm to make sure the PICC line doesn't get wet.

We all get depressed and think about what we don't have and how weak our bodies are. Why not try and think about how strong you are for keeping you alive..... Think of the things you have and the stuff you can do instead of the stuff ya can't. I know its a longshot but sometimes gratitude is the only thing that keeps me sane and alive.

On that note thats more than enough of my rant. Feel free to email me if you want.....
Keep your head up...keep fighting we need you.

Thats my 2 cents

Take gentle care all
Always in my prayers
abbie

------------------
You can only see the stars when its the darkest.................

Posts: 149 | From New City, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz....running into that two legged deer sounds like it was worth the trip!
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreanPea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreanPea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robi:

Actually, I think it was lazerorca who set up this AOL Instant Messenger Chatroom.

aim:gochat?roomname=lymenet

(Just copy and paste the above line into the address bar of your browser and a chat room will pop up)

I still have a shortcut to it on my desktop. If you have AOL IM, then you just need to sign in first, then go to that link.

Hope it works for others.

If you want to meet in there to chat robi, just let me know.

Pea

[This message has been edited by GreanPea (edited 02 August 2004).]

Posts: 552 | From Right here | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Yahoo and MSN almost daily.
Feel free to contact me!

Yahoo ID: MariaStella20

MSN: [email protected]

Might be able to help!

Posts: 712 | From Ottawa, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreanPea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreanPea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or anyone else, for that matter...

I'm signed on to yahoo also, I'm not sure if I can chat or not.

But if anyone would like to make a meeting time and place, I'm up for it..

There is a lyme chatroom every Saturday night... I'll have to go and look for the link.

Anyone else?

Pea

Posts: 552 | From Right here | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Wow! All the responses are great! I feel better when I know you are all out there.
I appreciate the offers for AOL, Yahoo and MSN chat....I don't have any of those....

lsudvm....it is great that you can be so kind while in the middle of your own difficult time.....damn I wish I could do that......I will work in that direction

salatheel....yes i see a naturopath.....she has made som good reccomendations although she is not lyme literate...she is learning.

Mathas I am not sure what strain of Myco I have they re testing that now. They found it in a lymph node that was removed in January......blood for myco was negative...
I have been on doxy sinve May so maybe that has taken care of the myco.....don't really know.

Cindy thanks for the email....I will answer when the energy allows.....I really appreciated getting it.

Liz...I acually laughed when I read about the thread and scissors....was a great way to visulaize cutting the little ****heads up into small pieces

Abbie....you are an amazing 22 year old....I am 44 and have been healthy until now....you have been fighting a long time and you still have a great spirit....I am impressed and fell like well if she can do ......maybe I can....thanks

Stella and Green pea......I would love to chat but the link didn't work.....I used to do IRC chat....anyone know how to do that....anyone can set up a chat room there.
I wonder what it would take to have a chat room that we could drop in on anytime and see whos there. Anyone know how to do this?

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Robi,

I just want to send you some hugs. I've been on treatment about the same time as you. I started in early March, but the first 6-8 weeks were really just a penicillin challenge getting me up to a significant dose.

I too had some major symptoms hit with Levaquin. I try to think about it as the pain from the Levaquin is just the last attempt of a dying spirochete to make it's mark...but I know I'm going to win the war.

I was really hoping I'd be farther down the road by now. I start law school in a few weeks - and it's a night program on top of work. I'm scared because I was hoping to be in a better place.

But I'm in a better place than I was 2 years ago, and that's because of pain management. I don't know what I would feel like if I hadn't found a good pain management doc and a great physical therapist.

They helped me get the use of my hands back, which was the worst symptom for me physically and emotionally. When your hands always hurt, suddenly touch is a bad thing. I used to just dig my hands into my cats' fur, because that was the only thing that felt good.

I hope you are feeling better.

*Hugs*

-Aniek

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. It takes time to turn the corner on this. I just about gave up myself, thought I had something fatal, and got addicted to pain pills along the way. It was enough to make this grown man cry. Looking back I put myself through unnecessary grief because I didn't know much about Lyme, never mind babesia. It seems to me there are alot of people who can really feel your pain and have been quick to respond to your post with support and good advice. If a wimp like me can get through this, you will too.
Posts: 228 | From Wassaic NY. USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uthminmel
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uthminmel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Robi,

I'm not sure if this post is for you or for me. I am right with you on this. Every time I think I am turning the corner, I get hit hard again with symptoms.

The depression that follows is the kicker that makes it all unbearable. And no one understands.

I had my annual review today with my boss. And don't get me wrong, he has been great through this but I just wonder how long he will continue to be supportive.

I try to explain Lyme and what it does but the average person in New Mexico has no clue what this is all about.

I'm a youth minister and one of the reasons that I am in the church that I am in is because of my normally emotional and proffesional stability. But Lyme changes almost everything about me.

I feel like my boss is starting to feel like this can not be all due to Lyme. He suggested that I see a counselor and made a veiled suggestion that maybe there was some kind of Spiritual problem that was causing me to be depressed and act so out of character.

That is really hard for me to hear. This disease is starting to undermine my bosses trust of me and that is disater in my proffession.

All that to say Robi, I hear you and you are not offended by this I would like to really start praying for you.

Hope you start to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Mel

Posts: 22 | From farmington,nm USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shassler64
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shassler64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
I know where you are coming from it is just so downheartening.All the abx etc etc and you feel like you are not getting anywhere.Hopefully we are but it is so hard to tell.It is going to take a while and the sooner you can accept the situation the easier you are going to cope with it.
I have been on abx for 18months now and I have just started another 6 months of IV's,3 days a week so it is not easy.

I think we are all just going to have to be very patient,we all know now where that word came from as being sick is very hard to take.

Talk to a counsellor about how you feel if you think it might help but acceptance of what is happening and that it is going to be a longterm struggle is the only way to get over the depression.

Take care,Sue.

Posts: 801 | From Kiama,Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement