LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone on Leviquin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone on Leviquin?
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 5 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If so, what was your dose & for how long? Did you feel improvement on it? Was it in combo w/ anything else? (ie for babs not in combo w/ other lyme abx)

Just did 8 weeks and had a killer headache the entire time - now 2 weeks off and backsliding already. Just wondering about others dosage, duration, and improvement. Thanks! ~Cindy~

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Levaquin for about 5 or 6 weeks. I've been taking it with penicillin, but am switching from the pen to augmentin because it's more agressive.

I'm taking 500 mg Levaquin 1x/day and 1000 mg Penicillin 3x/day.

No improvement yet. My hands became inflamed soon after starting the Levaquin, which was an old symptom that had gone away. I'm on the Levaquin to target salmonella, which my LLMD thinks is a big deal...but so far she's the only MD I know of with that theory.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hve been on levaquin for almost 3 weeks....5 more to go. I take biaxin and doxy also. Today I started Plaquenil as well.

Since onthe levaquin I feel lke i am moree symptomatic than just the biaxin and doxy.

I am going to ride it out if I can handle the depression. No tedon problems so far but i would say I ave some muscle soreness.

Hope this helps.

robi

PS thanks for answering my post......it really helps to get infofrom others and emotional support......

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me and I am 5foot nine and very thick big boned 250 pounds of angry sicilian pollak. And I used to like to work hard, play hard and drink hard...for me to go on a drug that would'nt even let me have a cocktail once in a while I thought would kill me....but it did'nt....beating this dang bug is more important than cocktails.

I did best on 250mgs three times a day....whenever even a LLMD told me to go to 500MGS I felt my liver quiver and my kidneys hurt. So being my own best doctor I backed off to the 250mg dose three times a day...yeah maybe I gave the cheetes a break but I felt I also gave myself a break....even Sam Donata says that tetracycline three times a day is the best that he has come up with as far as dealing with the spirochete...why three times a day....I don't know,....I've tried more even with homeopathic or organic(like grapefruit seed extract} type parasite killers and three seems to be the basic thing in my body.
More makes me sicker than I care to tell you about and less does'nt seem to do enough...keep in mind three....that for me seems to be some kind of key...like three different kinds of antibiotics...which I have tried on my own.....without the knowledge of my llmd at the time....to tell you the truth I did'nt try that approach to long cuz it really made me sick....I tried a cephalosporin, a tetracycline and a pennicillin or mr. cyst buster flagyl...yeah
I thought I might do myself in but I also thought hey...if this thing can change it's protein structure at will than I should hit it with as many different abx's as my body could take....it did'nt kill me but made me feel pretty punk and I did'nt do it for long.
For about a month was all I could handle.

good luch to us all zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Levaquin 500 mg/d for three weeks with Doryx 200 mg/d. I have been feeling extremely symptomatic on this combination (major fatigue, lots of pains, old symptoms coming back).

My LLMD just told me to take a break from it for three days.

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mathias, I may do that combo in the fall. Too many photosensity issues to deal with in the summer sun.
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this is true or not, but my LLMD mentioned one of the reasons tendon damage happens with Levaquin is that the spirochettes are in your tendons. Because it can get deep in the tendons, it kills the spirochettes deep in the tendons, and the toxins are released in the tendons.

It kind of makes sense to me. She said light exercise is ok. I really can't stop my strengthening program, because it reduces my pain so much. But I'm not increasing the weights until after quitting Levaquin.

You also need to take care with exercise for 3 months following the Levaquin.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken this drug even though my Babs test was a negative. I have not had any Lyme/Babs symptoms.

I took the drug for 2 weeks then stoped for a week. Then took it for another weeks. I am prone to headaches and I did have problems with that (this drug can cause some brain swelling).

But I have been totally symptom free since taking this drug. Whatever it worked on...it worked!

I dont remember the dosage.

I took no other drugs with it.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I was on this for 12 days - 500mg daily with Azithromycin 500mg daily for Bartonella...it didn't do much except make me very dizzy - so bad I had to stop.

The dizziness got worse with every dose and i started to get weakness in my hand...it is harder to tolerate with a macrolide.

Dr B has now put me on Rifampin and Clarithromycin instead.
Thankfully I never got the tendon damage.

cheers
Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies guys... This is the first I've heard of tendon damage - does anyone have any other info on that? This was the 1st drug I've been on that wasn't in my drug book. I'm curious cuz for 2 days now my legs are killing me. Anybody know why they didn't hurt while on the med, but now that I have stopped, my legs are so bad? It seems to me they would have hurt while on it, but just that incredable headache, and jaw/teeth pain - which I had experienced w/ the mepron also. Thanks ~Cindy~
Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy,
Here's some Levaquin info.
http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/lev1222.htm

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Cindy,
Here's some Levaquin info.
http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/lev1222.htm

robi

GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link robi....I'm not good at multi-tasking on this putter yet - the link made it easy for me. ~Cindy~
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went to pick the Levaquin up at the Rx store, the Pharmacist freaked and didn't want to give it to me. He said that it has a major cardio interaction w/Biaxin. Yet, my LLMD was perplexed as he's given this combo without a problem. Has anyone asked their LLMD about this?

I checked a few drug int. websites and one said they interact, others didn't. I took Cipro w/Biaxin w/out a problem.

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Lymelighter - that's interesting. I'm not on biaxin now, but have had my share of it. I had the same thing happen at the Rx when I was on biaxin, and went to fill my amitriptaline. Except, I had already had an episode where I thought I was dying - so that's when I was switched to trazadone for sleep. Seems biaxin has a few of these drug interactions. ~Cindy~
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Garden, yes, I had the same scenario. I took an Rx to the ole CVS and the pharmacist freaked! He ripped it up and threw it in the trash then admonished me & my duck for writing the Rx. This duck told me I had CFS and Elavil woulld take me to the promised land, yeah, right. If I had a $ for every Elavil Rx I've gotten I'd be retired at 30.

Good to hear you're having success w/Traz. That stuff makes my fog go from partly cloudy to full overcast. It's better for sleep as it's purportedly not addictive.

Needless to say, be careful, ticks love da' garden!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement