LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone on minocycline?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone on minocycline?
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez! Had my whole post typed,forgot my password,sent for it and lost the ***** draft!

Just started mino 4 days ago 200 ml/day and would like to get some feedback from anyone who's taken this.

I'm inches from being wheelchair bound. I've had lyme since childhood and am 49 soon to be 50(maybe it's time to start counting backward)

I've had many different abx and other therapies. Need some good news for a change. Thanks and Hi to all!

Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man,I'm really trackin today..Just noticed yours and Melany's posts trout...I've heard some good things about mino but nothing fist hand.Any comments yet? kt

Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Stuff...

of course...I know these people.

Kent

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLease check into
www.marshallprotocol.com

you may need it

Kent

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline crosses the blood-brain barrier pretty well, and it helped my neuro problems a lot.

Its side effects aren't that bad. I was a little dizzy for a week, then it went a way. Yeasty fungus issues weren't as bad as with Flagyl or Zith.

--Kris

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to start a mon, wed, fri. kind of pulsing with this but don't know if it's done with high dose mino? kt
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking acidophilus?
So, so important to avoid systemic yeast problems.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it a year ago and started on low doses (100mg/day) again this month.

Mino is one of the most widely prescribed acne abx, and is considered extremely safe by dermatologists.

When I took it a year ago, I was on too high a dose, 400mg/day, and had a nightmare herx. After a month, I switched to omnicef, but not before noting that mino gave me my first break from severe neuro symptoms in months.

I just added it back in, at non-killer-herx levels, and it definitely helps.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to ramp up to the 200mg,it might be pretty intense to start right at 200mg.Ive been sick for two and a half years and nothing seemed to help(all knds of orals)but now Im on minno and rifampin and Im seeing a little improvement.
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Thanks so much for all the input guys! Ya I'm thinking at 200ml/day I'm probably in for a serious herx.

Maybe Mon, Wed., Fri schedule is reasonable??
anyone done that kind of dosing? thanks kt

krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Almost forgot, yes cbb I'm definitely doing acidolphilous.bif etc. When does the herx arrive full force usually. I'm at the 4th day and do feel awful but not like dying yet.

Lots of vision and head stuff...dizzzzy!!

dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been on 300mg/day minocycline (2 mos) & 1200 mg/day Omnicef (3 mos). Other than feeling totally wiped out, I've had no herx or substantial positive effects so far. LLMD just switched me to 500mg Zithromax instead of the mino for the next month, we'll see if there's any difference.

Only herx so far was when I added Cat's Claw, and then it was fairly mild. Felt like the first day of the flu.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dsiebenh, Did you start on 300 mg/d or were you on a lower dose first?

Anyone else on a dose of larger than 200 mg/d of mino?

Does anyone know what dosage is required to cross the BBB? When it crosses, how much of the abx actually gets in the brain?

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcpucho
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't taken it but i spoke to someone who only take mino and completely recovered.

they were on it 13 months and said it took 3-4 months to start to see good effects. they were bedridden when they started.

they were treated by dr.L in ny who is the "minoking". he wrote the article "minocycline in lyme disease" if you want to research that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minocycline works great for me.
It helped with all the neuro problems (confusion, neuropathy, pain)
My joints are feeling much better to type now, and I have had few side effects.

Remember that mino is NOT THE SAME in dosing as the doxy.

for instance, 600 mg of doxy is equivalent to 300 mg of mino.

starting at 100 mg twice daily is a good dose, thats equivalent to 400 mg of doxycyline. You dont want to exceed 300 mg twice daily from what I understand or side effects could become issues. Of course, a lot of the dosing amounts will depend on your wieght and your liver functions.

I am on 100 mg am, and 200 mg pm. This is the highest I will be going due to poor liver function, but seem to do great on it.

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just came back from the (minnoking)yesterday and I asked him a couple of questions about minno.I asked if any oral penetrated better than minno and he said minno was the best.I asked scince my pcp wony put me on IV if 250mg of minno would be comparable or penetrate better and he said for someone my body weight (140lbs)that 200mg is enough any more for my weight may start to show side effects.Im on minno and rifampin and Im getting slow improvement and Ive had severe neuro and pschyc symptoms.
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In answer to the question, I started with 300mg/day mino, and am completing my 2nd month. I'm a 200 lb. male. The last couple of days I have felt a little lighter on my feet, maybe a positive reaction.
Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I'm on 200 mg/d and I weigh 180 lbs.
Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

About 2-4 hours after I take my schedule dose (100 mg 2x day) I start to develop major cogntive problems and brainfog. I don't get dizzy.

Does this sound like a herx or a side effects? It goes away with time.

I plan to ask my LLMD but I wanted to see if anyone else who has been on Minocycline has had a similar experience.

Tick N' Tired
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick N' Tired     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am into my 3rd week of biaxin and mino --- my skin is sooo itchy !!!! Is this normal ???
Posts: 80 | From atlanta, georgia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement