LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Suggestions for Spec Education Accomodations?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions for Spec Education Accomodations?
MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MarieElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're about to meet again with the school to get them to include the accomodations my daughter needs in her IEP (Individ. Education Plan).

She has been on homebound instruction for the past two years, but we are optimistic that she will be able to attend high school (9th grade) in Sept.

She probably won't be able to go to school for a full day in the beginning. She has been diagnosed with Lyme & Bartonella.

Any suggestions on what to have the school include in her IEP to accomodate her?

We can think of the following:
-extended time for testing
-use of a dictionary at all times
-a designated quiet place for her to
retreat to, as needed
-concentrated (reduced) workload
-use of a calculator at all times

We are torn as to whether to ask for a tutor to help her at home with the workload who can also help coordinate the work with the resource teacher.

We are also torn as to whether to ask for any on-line courses to reduce the time she must spend in the classroom.

When she was in school she was a high honor roll student. Since becoming ill, she has bouts with headaches and fatigue as well as memory problems and concentration issues.

Cognitively, I'm told by her tutors that she seems to not be affected and that she is still able to handle honors work.

We are fearful that if we do not put into place a carefully thought out plan, it will be a disaster for her.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Marie

Posts: 143 | From Putnam Valley, NY. USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teachers who really understand might give her projects in lieu of tests.
Also, I would think it would be important, at that age, to not have her "special consideration": too overt- if the other students feel like shes getting extra consideration, that could backfire.
Above all, gently encourage her to overcome the problems and do everything she can. Her friends' support is surely a key ingredient, too.
A quiet place she could go to rest or work privately is a great idea.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marie!

I'm right where you are. Except, my educational attorney is still fighting the school to have my son eligable for an IEP due to disablity from Lyme.

Once that is settled, I get to work out his plan.

All I can add at the moment is that is must be set that the plan will need to fluctuate ro what she is capable of at any given time, stressed that the disease fluctuates.

Also, rather than a dictionary, maybe consider the use of a Franklin Speller..a hand held machine where she can quickly access words.

Then, too..I know my son conceptually understands how to get the correct answer on advanced math problems, but has allot of trouble (related to Lyme) "showing his work"..the mechanics. They should not be penalized in grading for that.

Also, ny son will need books and novels on tape..due to brain/eye involvement and concentration issues. He also may need to fall back on half days with supplementational tutoring.

Have you done a neuro-psych eval with one of the LL's (for kids..Doc R in Katonah, Doc L.S. in NYC)..this can medically pinpoint that which is reactive to her infection (cognitively and otherwise)..which the school must then accept as part of constructing the plan that is fare to her.

Allot of this can and should be done behind the scenes with modifications that don't draw attention to her amongst her peers.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 08 August 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're in pretty much the same boat. I have had Dr. V. S. write a note but think we need to add some other possibilities.

We have an IEP..You can request testing by the school Mo. We did..2 years ago. I didn't want a label but it has been a help with missing school,etc. Also they have until 21 if needed as opposed to no more help after 18.

The school and school psychologist have been very supportive for us.

Another thing that gives you more leverage and help is to get a psychiatrist on your team. The school must listen to them. I was on school board for 8 years..Their word carries much influence if handled correctly.

Our senior year is approaching and she has only completed slightly more than 3/4's of junior year assignments. I think we will have to drop chemistry. She isn't able to self-teach that one.

Good luck moms...I am going thru it too but with more school support, thank God. lymemomtooo

ps. No matter how much we want them to be treated like all of the other kids, it will not be easy. Becky has lost all friends and now with a picc line, I think she will be the talk of the school. We have already decided if she must do lunch at school that she has an alternate place to eat. Kids are brutal at the cafeteria tables.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this website:
www.wrightslaw.com

Jake (18) has 5 credits to complete before graduating. He should have graduated in June. I'm hoping his school sticks to the plan to let him finish these credits online.

Jordan (13) will be in 8th grade. At this time, I don't think he will be able to go to school. I'm hoping for a homebound tutor for him.

Good luck everyone!

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do a 504 plan, and our 504 team includes the principal and school nurse, rather than SPED folks. Accomodations have varied with each year. This will be our 4th year of dealing w/school and Lyme; my child also has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years and wears an insulin pump, so putting it all under 504 works well.

I write up the plan with everything I can think of (also consulting some resource books I got from the state Dept. of Ed. and Federal Office of Civil Rights, with really useful lists of suggested accomodations for all kinds of problems). I like writing a draft myself, which I bring to the meeting, because they usually sign it and we get more help than if I let the team write it up at the meeting.

My child always gets an extra set of books. One year she needed a scribe to write for her. Last year she was in and out and we had a system (suggested by a lawyer) so that EVERY DAY all her teachers filled out a form w/class work, homework, grades missing, and all worksheets, notes or readings attached, so that my daughter could go in and out of school and still keep up. We did it this way because the teachers proved unable to notice her absences, so they had to do this all the time,even if she was there.

The last semester last year, we homeschooled math to take pressure off.
Lots of kids w/Lyme headaches seem to have pain w/math, the subject of some joking with math teacher.

The whole social thing is so hard. My daughter has been "different" her whole life. Until a year ago, the school nurse visited the classroom every hour to get blood sugar results. She's now going into high school. My daughter is very matter of fact, and often humorous, about her various trials. For some reason, the boys get it better than the girls, so she hangs out a lot with the guys.

I've found it cost effective to meet with a lawyer for one hour ($150) and review my accomodations. She sometimes adds or clarifies some. I just let it drop in a friendly way that they have been reviewed by a lawyer, and I don't have much trouble!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I am a school psychologist who (before Lyme disease struck) did IEP's and evaluations for a large school district. I also did a lot of 504 plans but find that at the high school level they are not followed as closely as they should be. I can tell you that you have lots of rights as a parent. You should try to ask for EVERYTHING you think your daughter may need, and then some. It is a negotiation process and a lot of back and forth. I agree that if you have your accommodations in writing before hand that will help. Much more money and personnel time has been spent by school districts for kids who may not have needed "all that help". But having Lyme disease myself, I know that it is a serious yet variable condition and that your child's needs may change over course of the school year. It is crucial that the school understands that this is a disease that does change and that although she may not need all the accomodations right now, they need to be in her IEP should the need arise. Most districts will try to get by with the least involved services and the "least restrictive environment". Make sure they know that your daughter's "Least Restrictive Environment" can change at any time!!! VERY IMPORTANT. If the district gives you a hard time, do not hesitate to fight them. If you need a lawyer, don't hesitate to get one....Just some advice from "the other side" and a fellow Lyme sufferer!
Good Luck!
Pippy

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a bit long and was written by the
Dr. Rissenberg Mo recommended. You may be able to think of some modifications by checking the last section.
Best of luck.
Not sure why the SPED folks were not included for your child, Liddie...they should be IMO. Our kids have special needs if they have lyme and need modifications to their programs.

Distinct pattern of cognitive impairment noted in study of Lyme patients
by Marian Rissenberg, Ph.D. & Susan Chambers, M.D.
the Lyme Times, Vol. 20, January-March 1998, pp. 29 -32
1) Cognitive Characteristics of Chronic Lyme Encephalopathy

On the basis of both a formal neuropsychological study of 49 patients (APA 5/96) and on clinical observation and comprehensive neuropsychological examination of well over 100 patients, a distinct pattern of cognitive impairment occurring chronic Lyme disease can be described. These patients consistently demonstrate deficits in directed, sustained and divided attention, planning and organization of responses, temporal ordering, verbal fluency, abstract reasoning, speed of processing, and motor programming. The overall pattern of intellectual impairment is not unlike that seen with diffuse brain injury, and it most often results in some degree of work-related disability.

Although performance is impaired on measures of cognitive functions associated with specific brain regions -- receptive and expressive language, visuospatial problem solving and memory -- the quality of performance is not suggestive of focal lesions in these areas. Rather, deficits are secondary to impairment of higher level integrative functions, likely mediated by complex neuronal systems. Specifically, the receptive language deficit is secondary to impaired auditory tracking and slowing of mental processing. The expressive language deficit is secondary to impaired word retrieval and response planning, The visuospatial problem solving deficit is secondary to impairment of mental flexibility, conceptualization and the ability to compare and contrast necessary in decision making. Finally, deficits on test of memory function are most often secondary to impairment of the encoding or initial processing of information, which depends on attention, and the retrieval of stored information. The storage of new information, or memory per se, is rarely impaired.

This pattern suggests that cognitive dysfunction in chronic Lyme, while expressed variably across individual patients, results from a common factor -- the breakdown of diffusely represented processes involving both integration and activation, and impacting primarily on attention and reasoning. The fluctuation of impairment over short periods of time suggest that a physiologic rather than a structural mechanism is responsible.

2) Neuropsychological deficits in chronic Lyme disease (A study presented at the annual meeting of The American Psychiatric Association , May 1996)

The neuro-psychological characteristics of 49 patients with Lyme disease were examined. The study set out to answer three questions:
1) Do all patients with subjectively perceived cognitive dysfunction have measurable intellectual impairment on objective testing?

2) In those without measurable impairment, does depression account for the perception of cognitive dysfunction?

3) What is the nature of the cognitive impairment in Lyme disease when it does occur?

Subjects were patients seen consecutively between 1990 and 1994 in a private neuropsycological practice with complaints of cognitive dysfunction and a symptom complex consistent with Lyme disease. Diagnosis was based on former CDC criteria. Mean duration of illness, defined as the time from the onset of general symptoms to the neuro-psychological exam, was 4.7 years (range: 3.3 to 14 years). Mean age was 39.9 years (range: 21 to 58 years) from 18 to 60 years. Mean level of education was 15.3 years (range 12 to 20 years).

Subjects were interviewed and administered a comprehensive battery of tests, including the complete WAIS-R and WMS-R, and additional test of language, attention, reasoning, visuospatial processing and complex motor function. They also completed the Beck Depression Inventory and a symptom checklist. Tests were divided into seven groups based on the cognitive functions they are presumed to measure: Attention, Memory, Language, Visuospatial Processing, Reasoning, Verbal Fluency and Motor programming.

Subjects were grouped into three levels of impairment based on their neuropsychological performance: Intact (N=11; 22%), with no functions impaired, Moderate (N=31; 63%) with two functions impaired, and Severe (N=7; 14%) with three or more functions impaired. Subjects in the Severe group met diagnostic criteria for dementia. The correlation between depression and cognitive impairment was nonsignificant, but the trend was positive, rather that negative. Anxiety by self report was significantly greater in the impaired groups that the Intact group. Duration of illness was greater in the Severe group (nonsignificant).

Of the 38 subjects with cognitive impairment, deficits of attention were most common, occurring in 26 subjects (68%) Deficits of memory storage were least common, occurring in 8 subjects (21%), Motor, Verbal Fluency, Visuospatial, Language and Reasoning deficits occurred in 24, 26, 29, 36 and 36% of the subjects respectively.

3) Possible Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Cognitive Impairment in Lyme Disease

Based on these findings and on patients' reports, two characteristics of Lyme Encephalopathy arise which provide insight as to possible neurophysiologic mechanisms:
One, the nonfocal nature of the cognitive functions affected, and

Two, the subtle fluctuations and reportedly abrupt and global shifts in cognitive function from one day to another in a given patient.

Four broad categories of possible neurophysiologic mechanisms might be compatible with this pattern:
1) Diffuse cerebral diffusion abnormalities -- Single photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) scans of the brain in Lyme disease often display a diffuse pattern consistent with heterogeneous areas of hyperfusion and/or diminished neuronal metabolism. While vasodilators are often capable of reversing these abnormal patterns on SPECT scan, this reversal does not consistently correlate with a symptomatic improvement in cognitive function.

2) Alterations in cellular metabolism at the cortical level -- Evidence of alterations in neurotransmitter function is suggested by clinical evidence of cognitive improvement following treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) which appears to be independent of their antidepressant effect. Systematic studies of the impact of SSRI's on cognitive function, as well as the role of other transmitters, are required.

3) Neuro transmitter abnormalities (imbalances of synthesis and/or receptor activity) -- Neurotoxic substances may well play a role in Lyme Encephalopathy. given the neurotropic nature to Treponema pallidim , and the close parallel between syphilis and Lyme disease, it is possible that Borrelia burgdorferi could produce intracellular or extracellular neurotoxins which we have yet to identify.

4) Neurotoxic substances produced endogenously or possibly exogenously -- Endogenous neurotoxins have been identified as by-products of the humoral immune response. Among these is quinolinic acid, a product of the interleukin cascade system, which accumulates as a result of the humoral response to acute infectious agents and functions as a neuronal excitotoxin. As there are many similarities between Lyme Encephalopathy and the nonspecific mental dysfunction of acute systemic infections, such as influenza, it is quite possible that continue stimulation of production of quinolinic acid and other cytokines plays a role in the pathophysiology of Lyme encephalopathy.

4) Clinical Impressions and Implications for Diagnosis and Treatment in Chronic Lyme Disease

This study demonstrates that for the majority of chronic Lyme patients with cognitive complaints, there is in fact a measurable and significant decline in intellectual acuity. The nature and severity of the cognitive impairment is such that it interferes with all aspects of normal functioning: employment, home, marriage, social interactions, and general emotional well-being. Rather than the cognitive complaints being secondary to anxiety or depression, as is sometimes suspected, depression and anxiety increase with, and are apparently secondary to, cognitive impairment and the emotional and practical impact of a loss of competence. Thus, while patients with chronic Lyme disease can present a confusing and "psychiatric" picture to the clinician, it is important that their concerns be properly investigated and addressed.

Patients with Lyme encephalopathy complain of problems with memory and concentration, word retrieval, confusion, problems with thinking, "mental fogginess", a decline in job performance, difficulty with calculations, directions, and judgment. Decreased initiative, manifest as difficulty getting started with or following through with projects is often noted. Mood disturbance is common with complaints of irritability, explosiveness or "a short fuse," sadness, hopelessness or guilt, increased anxiety or mood swings. Sleep disturbance is also common, and can present as initial, middle or terminal insomnia or some combination of these. Fatigue is universal. Headache is common, and of course joint and muscle pain. Increased sensitivity to light and noise, visual disturbance, and tingling in the extremities are also common.

On interview patients with Lyme encephalopathy tend to be vague and disorganized in the presentation of the history of their illness. This is despite their close attention to their symptoms and having recounted them many times before. Although in most cases memory of discreet events - tests, dates, diagnoses, responses to medications -- is intact, the patient is unable to recall them spontaneously or organize them in temporal order. They may be unclear as to their chief complaint. They may completely lose track of what they were saying, sometimes repeatedly, or of what the question was. They may get off on a tangent and have trouble re-orienting themselves. Frequent prompting and refocusing will be necessary. beginning the interview with an open-ended question like "Tell me what the problem is" will allow these qualities to become clear.

Often patients with chronic Lyme disease will seem overly focused on their illness, or overly concerned with convincing the clinician that they are ill. The clinician may be tempted to interpret this as evidence of a primary psychiatric disorder. It is important to understand that the frustration many of these patients experience is real, and results from the general attitude of doubt toward Lyme disease as a serious and chronic illness, the invisibility of their symptoms, the difficulty in getting a definitive diagnosis and getting approval for extended treatment from insurance carries. Many have been accused of hypochondriasis or malingering. As with head injury, the patient may "look fin" though they are having difficulty with very basic work, social and day to day functioning.

The cognitive deficits in chronic Lyme disease involve primarily attention and arousal mechanisms. Patients have difficulty keeping track of external and internal events, retrieval of information from memory and with planning and sequencing, as occurs in attention deficit disorder. However their experience is different from that of ADD, in that rather than having the experience that there are many thoughts competing for attention, the Lyme patient has difficulty bringing any thought into clear focus. They experience difficulty thinking. One patient described it as the universe ending six inches from his face. He can't process information that is not immediately apparent, immediately experienced. Another said that when he tries to think about something, or figure something out, all he can do is repeat the question -- he can't get to the meaning. This is like the idea of "surface" versus "deep" processing in cognitive psychology. Reading a passage for typing errors would be surface processing, while reading for meaning is deep processing. One patient, a physician, described it as a "mental intention tremor" -- the more she tries to focus on something the more out of focus it becomes.

The clinician should proceed with empathy and reason. Specific cognitive complaints in previously high functioning individuals are unusual and indicative of serious illness, either psychiatric or neurologic. Comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation will most often differentiate the two.

Where the neuropsychological exam is normal or there is a significant psychiatric component, a psychiatric evaluation is advised. Psychiatric symptomatology is not uncommon in Lyme and the presence of depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive symptoms, flat affect and so on may cloud the issue of significant cognitive decline. Both the cognitive and psychiatric symptoms would be expected to improve with antibiotic treatment in Lyme encephalopathy. However sometimes concurrent treatment with psychotropic medication is necessary.

Unfortunately for some patients significant cognitive impairment persists even after years of antibiotic treatment. These patients may never be able to return to their premorbid level of employment, or be gainfully employed at all. Cognitive remediation can help them learn strategies for improving memory and concentration and relieving stress. Support and advice in regard to living with a chronic condition is equally important. Strategies include reducing work hours when possible, taking regular rest periods during the day, limiting the number of outings in a week, and using a calendar to stay organized and structure their time.

5) Cognitive impairment in Lyme disease: specific functions and the impact or deficits
1. Attention and mental tracking: includes directed and sustained attention: the ability to direct and maintain one's focus on a particular event or idea, whether in the environment or internally; and divided attention: the ability to simultaneously attend to two events, or dot two or more things at a time, or to retain awareness of one thing while doing another.
Impact: difficulty functioning effectively in many situations, remembering what one was doing before a distraction, keeping track of conversation, taking notes while someone is speaking, remembering that someone is on hold or what you were about to say.

2. Memory: Retaining new information.
Impact: secondary to impaired attention, slowing of processing and the retrieval of stored information, but not storage per se, a tendency to lose or forget things, miss appointments, repeat oneself.

3. Receptive language: understanding spoken or written language
Impact: secondary to impaired attention and speed of processing, difficulty participating in meetings or social conversation, difficulty with reading comprehension.

4. Expressive language: Using spoken or written language to express ideas
Impact: difficulty finding the right word, using the wrong word and not noticing, not being able to express oneself or communicate

5. Visuospatial Processing: Efficient scanning of the visual field, making sense of how things are related in space, visuospatial conceptualization and problem solving.
Impact: a tendency to get lost, difficulty with reading comprehension.

6. Abstract reasoning: The ability to generalize from the particular, to identify the common factor between related concepts, to compare and contrast two things or ideas, to see the "big picture", to identify the critical factor in a situation, to anticipate consequences and make inferences regarding cause and effect.
Impact: difficulty with decision making, planning, and problem solving.

7. Speed of mental and motor processing: the ability to think and respond quickly, critical to understanding speech which occurs at a fairly constant rate.
Impact: difficulty understanding or keeping up a conversation, functioning in a timely manner in day to day situations, meeting deadlines.

[This message has been edited by nan (edited 09 August 2004).]

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Nan, we have gotten all the accomodations we have needed using a 504 plan, which is simply another way to address special needs, stemming from medical problems. A 504 plan is enforced by the Federal Dept. of Education (office for Civil Rights) and implements Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We have gotten extensive and very flexible help for whatever my daughter has needed, and the 504 process is very simple to negotiate and control. The school nurse serves as her aide and advocate during the school day.

In other school systems, an IEP might be the way to go but in ours, the principal is very in tune and 504 has worked great. I have discussed going through Special Ed with our lawyer, but so far she also agrees that 504 is the best route.

One other thing: if anyone else uses a 504 plan, the language of "reasonable accomodations" is inappropriate. For primary and secondary education, the standard schools have to meet w/504's is higher than "reasonable" because those levels of schooling are compulsory.

[This message has been edited by Lyddie (edited 09 August 2004).]

mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nan-

My son was in ninth grade last year and had a 504. We included everythng we could think of. The weak link is teacher attitude and enforcement. The teachers that got it were flexible and accomidating. One was particularly rigid and continued to grant E's for homewrok handed in on the wrong days. My son was sick in bed 50 days last school year. His self-esteem got beaten down. Before lyme he had never seen a C.

This year he will be "attending" a Cyber Charter School at home. It is run by the 5 county IUs in the Philly area. They were excited to enroll my son and he is excited about getting his own computer, provided by the school and getting started.I'm floored.

If it doesn't go well, something like this could be an option for your daughter. My son will still tbe in the band at his old high school when is feeling well enough.

Best of luck to you,
Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 6 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree that the 504 plan is the way to go. When writing up the modifications I think the Sped people can be a big help...which is why they might be valuable
at team meetings.

I taught for 23 years and have been appalled at the way some schools throw up road blocks when it comes to our lyme children. They have no clue really of what these children go through.

Several of us have made it our mission on Cape Cod to do programs for teachers, nurses and parents about lyme disease and the effect it has on children. We use a couple of videos and tell of our own children and how they have suffered.

The roadblocks really go up when the principal consults the school physician!
Big trouble then! You can imagine what gets said.

I always hand out the ABC's of Lyme pamphlet. It is very good and can be found on the Lyme Disease Association web site.

You all sound like you are terrific advocates for your sick kids...and I commend you! A+ to each of you...and a gold medal for Mo!

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarieElaine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5408

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MarieElaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all the wonderful responses and ideas.

Could someone elaborate on what "Sped" folks are?

Also, any sites I can check out in regards to "Cyber Charter School".

We've had an awful time for a year and a half with our school district despite her spec ed classification of 'ther Health Impaired.'

Fortunately for us, a dear friend, almost a second father to our daughter, joined our school district running the alternative programs including the alternative high school.

We don't think our daughter needs the alternative high school, but our friend is helping us to bridge her needs to school officials.

Despite all of that, I want to request another Committee of Special Education (CSE) meeting and get her Individual Education Plan (IEP) to spell out all of her modifications and accomodations.

I had an article written by Dr Marian Rissenberg but it did not include a number of points in the one posted....thank you!!!

Our school district fought us every inch of the way for the much needed home tutors last year. They went on record twice informing us that we needed to hospitalize our daughter with lyme disease.

We finally did hire an attorney and, by golly, like magic, they backed off and began to listen to us.

I just want to turn to the attorney selectively, when and if they refuse to provide her with the accomodations we know she needs.

Thanks again for all the incredible support and help....you guys are g r e a t!

Marie

Posts: 143 | From Putnam Valley, NY. USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sped is an abbreviated way of saying Special Ed. Am posting another article which some parents have found useful.

Keep us posted on how you make out, Marie!

By Alfred C. Tagliabue, M. Ed.
Director of Student Personnel and Community Services, (Retired) Jackson Township, New Jersey

More often than not children who contract Lyme Disease are treated with antibiotics for a few months and do not require any additional educational supports or services to make up for lost time in school. This is the rule for the majority of children who contract Lyme Disease, however there are many children who have a difficult time responding to standard treatments, for any number of reasons, and other children who become re-infected one or more times. These children are considered to have ``Chronic Lyme Disease''. They have a multitude of symptoms and problems that make it impossible to keep up with their schoolwork without special accommodations and services from their teachers and school. It is important to note that some physicians in the medical establishment do not recognize the term ``Chronic'' Lyme Disease. Some school physicians are among those who do not recognize the term ``chronic'' when dealing with students who have Lyme Disease. If your child suffers from Lyme Disease and needs special education services or accommodations you may get a hard time from your school district if your local director of special education either had the disease or knows someone close to them who had the disease and was cured with a couple of months of antibiotics. These people are among the lucky majority that never become re-infected and respond positively to standard antibiotic therapy. This article however, will deal with those students who do not respond well to standard treatment and have a variety of needs for special education services and or accommodations in the classroom.

While all states have their own special education laws there are two federal laws that protect students with Lyme Disease and supercede state code and regulations. The first law that parents need to become familiar with is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA. This law deals with all students who have some form of disability. Students with Chronic Lyme Disease may fit several different categories depending on how severe the Lyme Disease has impacted on the child's ability to profit from regular education. Some classifications or categories could be ``chronically ill''; ``other health impaired'' or ``learning disabled''. You will need to obtain a copy of your state's special education code and read it carefully in order to become an active participant in the decision making process for your child. Many states have slightly different categories and definitions than those given in IDEA. Remember that, the IDEA law supercedes all state special education laws except when the state law is more protective of your child's rights or offers more services. It is also possible to have your child qualify under other more intense terms such as ``multiple disabilities'' or other categories depending on how the disease manifests itself at a particular time during the course of the disease. There can be, in extreme cases, both neurological and psychiatric problems that may require additional medical and educational treatment. A ``red flag'' for parents when dealing with their school or school district, would be a suggestion to classify a child with Chronic Lyme Disease as ``orthopedically disabled''. This would show some archaic thinking on the school's part if they believed that Lyme Disease was like arthritis. The most significant educational impact of Lyme Disease lies with lack of vitality to produce schoolwork, the ability to focus and sustain attention, memory and the overall ability to process and syntheses what is being taught. If a child with Lyme Disease had some severe orthopedic symptoms they would most likely also have some of the learning problems as well and this would qualify under the term ``multiple disabilities''.

Children with Chronic Lyme Disease can have a multitude of symptoms. These symptoms can change week to week, day to day and sometimes hour to hour. Every child is different, so parents and school special education committees (child study teams, etc.) need to listen carefully to both the students and the family physician that is treating the student for the disease. Some children have their REM sleep interrupted by the disease and would have significantly more functional learning disabilities in the morning. I have found that allowing them to stay home in the morning and bringing them in at lunchtime provides them with a greater vitality needed for learning. I would then provide home instruction between 4 and 7 PM for the subjects that were missed in the morning. This may continue for a few weeks or many months depending on the success of the medical treatment. A very common problem for these students is the inability to focus and attend. In fact some children with Lyme Disease have been misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD and have been treated with Ritalin. It is important to remember that Lyme Disease is diagnosed by excluding other diseases and disorders since there is still no 100% accurate test for Lyme Disease. Another very common problem is memory loss and the ability to organize one's schoolwork. Any insult to the central nervous system can cause memory problems and once again the student's abilities can change day to day or hour to hour. Motivation is also a key factor to learning. When children don't feel well they will have a tendency to become depressed and develop feelings of hopelessness. This will have a negative impact on their ability to perform academically. Children with Lyme Disease have been accused of ``faking it'', trying to get out of homework and generally trying to beat the educational system. Educators need to fully understand all of the neurological and psychiatric implications of Lyme Disease and they need to understand that the children would much rather be well than to be sick. Whenever you deal with a person with a disability you should provide them with an educational program that not only meets their needs but also provides them all the experiences and opportunities that a child without disabilities would encounter. Children with Lyme Disease should lead as full and as normal life as they are capable given their individual symptoms and the severity of those symptoms at any given time.

The second federal law that is applicable to students with Lyme Disease is Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act. This is not educational law. It is primarily civil rights legislation that prevents students from discrimination, if they have some type of disability that substantially limits the child's ability to learn. School districts and parents together can decide which of these codes and format could best serve the child. While there are whole day workshops on the differences and similarities between Section 504 and IDEA I will attempt to highlight some issues to keep in mind. As a former public school special education administrator I based the decision of whether to provide service to a student under Section 504 or IDEA on the projected outcome and level of service that could be reasonable assumed for a given student. For example if a child only need some classroom accommodations and some home work modifications that could be performed by the regular classroom teacher I would prefer to see that child served under Section 504. While Section 504 requires a written plan signed by the parent, as does IDEA, there are far less procedural issues and students can be served faster than through IDEA in general. The written 504 plan itself is less complicated, faster and easier to write than an IDEA plan. Parents need to remember that all IDEA students are 504 students but not all 504 students are qualified under IDEA. There can be some cases that that 504 students would not qualify under IDEA but these cases are rare. However, students with Lyme Disease often fit into these rare situations, primarily due to their ever-shifting medical and educational condition.

In general any service or program that can be delivered through IDEA and also be delivered through Section 504. In most cases districts would prefer using IDEA rather than Section 504 since there is no state or federal financial aid available to school districts through Section 504. As I mentioned above, as a special education administrator, I would prefer that a child who would need special transportation, tutoring or other services that would increase their cost of education, be handled through IDEA. If a student's needs can be met with accommodations and modifications that do not involve extra expenses to the school district, I have always felt that Section 504 was a quicker way to go without compromising the quality of service provided or the student's/parent's due process rights.

Parents basically have the same ``Due Process Rights'' if they become in conflict with their school district with IDEA and Section 504. Most state departments of education use the same conflict resolution procedures for both IDEA and Section 504. You need to check these state procedures with your state department of education. Ultimately the United States Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights will hear both IDEA and Section 504 complaints against school districts. You can call your state department of education to get the address and phone number of your nearest U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights. If you are reading this and saying to yourself `` This seems fine if my child is in public education but my child attends a private or religious school''. You are correct in thinking that all of this is may not apply. Times are changing. Since the ``1990 Americans with Disability Act'' the rights of all students, public, private, religious and even home schooled children have been expanded through various court cases. I recently read a federal court decision in which the judge reinstated a preschool child with disabilities back into a private preschool program that had recently dismissed the child. Most states have child advocacy organizations that can provide some guidance in conflict resolution or direct you to where you can obtain legal advice. I have found two Internet sites that can be very helpful. One is [http://www.ideapractices.org/]. This site contains the entire 1997 edition of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Regulations, which can be downloaded and printed. The second site is [http://www.504idea.org/]. This site contains the entire text of Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act (which again, can be downloaded and printed) and gives a detailed comparison between IDEA and Section 504. This data will make you an informed participant when making educational decisions for your child.

pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something someone else mentioned that may be important: It is your legal right to have your

child evaluated (Psychoeducational Evaluation) by the school district. You must

present your request in writing. They have a time limit within which they must respond and start the eval. process.

unfortunately, the special ed system is not designed to help kids reach their full potential. If your child is bright to begin with and makes

extra effort despite his or her condition, achievement scores will be too high to qualify for special ed services. A 504 (Other Health Impaired) would be another way to get accomodations.
The danger with a 504 is that teachers often fail to comply with accomodations even though they are violating the law by not doing so. This happens too much, especially in honors or gifted classes.

Good luck with getting what your daughter needs! We are all cheering for you!

Pippy

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pip!

Potential problems with a school eval is that the evaluators have no experience treating chronic Lyme to efficacy, and no knowledge of the illness.

We do have the right to request an eval, then reject it based on the info I mentioned above..and then have the independant eval done at the school's expense.

Or..you can advocate to go straight to an IEE (Independant Educational Evaluation).

Anywho..here is my working list in preparation for Ryan's IEP.

Anyone have any ideas, let me know! Marie..hope this gives you some ideas.

Mo

1) It should be understood that the course of Tick-borne disease and it's therapies will cause Ryan's condition to fluctuate,therefore he will need to be excused from arbitrary deadlines that involve grade penalties for Ryan because there may be times when he cannot do the work. When his condition allows, we get him to do as much work as possible.

2) Late work should not be counted late with penalties that effect his grade.

3) Ryan should not be penalized for "lack of focus" or other manifestations of his illness in the classroom.

4) Ryan should not be required to "make up" classtime that is missed because of his illness.

5) The attendance policy does not apply considering Ryan's medical condition.

6) Recognize that Ryan's medical condition may require him to arrive late or leave early because he doesn't feel well. This should not be considered irresponsible behavior.

7) Ryan may need quizzes and tests given orally.

8) Recognize and give credit for Ryan's oral participation in class, his conceptual understanding.

9) Allow Ryan to get copies of another student's class notes.

10) Provide Ryan with a list of assignments daily from each teacher.

11) Provide Ryan with two sets of textbooks, one for school and one for home.

12) Provide modifications of homework assignments and tests, ie: no penalties related to needing more time on any assignments, reduce the amount of work required when possible, and no penalties or limitations in respect to time on tests.

13) Ryan will be provided access to books on tape.

14) No grade penalties applies in regard to mechanics, ie: "showing his work" on Math tests, assignments, ect.

15) Ryan is excused from PE as per his doctor's recommendation, or if he should feel himself unwell. No contact sports as long as his PICC line is in place.

16) Ryan will be supported in taking breaks, either in the class, or in the nurses office, when he feels he needs them, or is overwhelmed. Teachers will communicate with his mother as to whether Ryan is exhibiting signs of being fatigued or overwhelmed, as this is important to be aware of.

17) Due to the neurological effects of the illness, Ryan may at times experience light and sound sensitivity in a classroom setting. This can manifest itself in forms of frustration or overload. Teachers will be understanding of this aspect of the illness, and will not call attention to, nor penalize Ryan if he experiences this symptom.

18) Teachers and staff will agree to keep in close communication with Ryan's mother throughout the school year, so his condition and any fluctuations may be monitored by his physicians, as well as his school progress.

19) Ryan will not be graded on spelling content in written work on tests or assignments, and when appropriate and timely, he will be permitted to use a Franklin Speller in class. If it is better in a given situation in the interest of time or fluidity to write without the Franklin Speller, then he should do so, and not be penalized for spelling content.

20) Ryan will be graded on the content of his writing, and his grasp of the concepts taught.

21) Ryan will be assigned to teacher teams who exhibit flexibility and appreciation for different learning styles, and as much as possible within the curriculum, put emphasis on visual and conceptual learning.

22) Ryan may need directions on assignments written out for him, in addition to the teacher's oral classroom instructions.

23) As much as possible, these modifications will be incorporated in Ryan's school day so as not to draw attention to him among his peers, out of respect in supporting his assimilation and feelings of accomplishment within the school setting.

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 11 August 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys for all the useful information, I think I may need it in the future maybe in the near future.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Just a small suggestion to that wondeful list from Mo...Requring teachers and staff to communicate with the parent can cause some problems over time, depending on the people involved of course. If there is one person employed by the school (special ed person, or, in our case, the school nurse) who coordinates this communication, it seems to work a whole lot better than directly communicating w/paretn.

Some teachers have communciated w/me by e-mail, but last year's team just wasn't used to working with a parent so closely and, I think, wasn't used to putting in that amount of time for one child. If SPED is coordinating the plan (MO's is through SPED), then this is probably taken care of already, but if it is a 504 like ours, there is a huge void in terms of personnel able to handle implementing the plan. To fill this void, I ended up essentially supervising teachers and the dean, which was very uncomfortable and had to be changed with the help of a lawyer.

Mo
Member # 2863

Thanks, Lyddie!

I should rethink the wording on that one..maybe leaving some room as to who may be the contact person/people after I feel out the situation..

Thanks!!

Mo

Lyddie
Unregistered

Another way to say this is to keep ourself out of the direct line of fire! Our principal used this phrase himself, to his credit, when the dean of students blew up at me when I asked for a missed test. The principal, who is pretty ethical all around, said it was the vacuum in staffing that had put me "in the line of fire."

Mo, thank you for your detailed list which will help others a lot. Too bad, but all the parents I know w/children w/special needs, spend the whole month of August thinking about this stuff. But our kids benefit....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement