LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Fish Oil (EPA) contain Mercury?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Fish Oil (EPA) contain Mercury?
Lymelighter
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5310

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added EPA fish oil to my vast inventory of vitamins & herbs and it occured to me that it could have Mercury in it. The manufacturer said it has <1 part per billion of Mercury and thus should not be of concern.

Yet, we Lymies have to be concerned about everything we put in our body. Given I spent months chelating Mercury, could these capsules only exacerbate my situation?

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer your question directly, but I can tell you what was told to me by my very informed local Health Food store owner.

I asked the same question, and he said that he calls the mfg if it is not clear. I know the ones he orders are as minimally contaminated, if at all.

They are not from crowded farm-fed areas where murcury has a high content...just oceans. Don't know if ALL the mercury can actually be eliminated from the oils.

There are some brands, he says, that, from their brochures, never actually state how pure it is...he doesn't purchase those.

He did say that he recommends no Cod Liver Oils. Granted, he is just a store owner, but he has never steered me wrong yet, and I come in with a million questions. If he doesn't know the answer, he will find out.

He and his wife are very much into Healthy foods and supplements, so I do trust him.

Someone else will come along with a better answer.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie
Member # 5941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the fish oil pills don't have murcury because it separates from the oil.
Posts: 62 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Lemonlyme
Member # 1962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Lemonlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out this short article
http://www.mercola.com/2001/dec/12/fish_oil.htm

Posts: 39 | From Lancaster PA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jack, that's very helpful.
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lulu
Member # 6031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lulu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also found this on Dr. Andrew Weil's site:
http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=93664

Posts: 11 | From NY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The forecast is that in five years there will be no uncontaminated fish any longer.
There is no uncontaminated water already at this time, and most fish is contaminated.

The only one we take at this time is the Pharmax fish oil. Mercury separating from the oil is not true. Most toxins and metals are stored in the fat. They are stored in the fat in our body. That's why we find much of them in our brain. Our brain is largely fat and that's where a lot of mercury sits.

The oils are graded from 1 to 5. I do not know who oversees this. Pharmax is a Grade 1. Until further notice. The Medicine Man in Seattle sells it at a discount.

That's one reason we have to be so careful. Since we have been taking Chlorella, we are now on the third brand. The first two slowly deteriorated. For this reason we now use Prime Chlorella, www.pure-chlorella.com.
It comes from Canada, but should be available here soon. 1-888-277-7330.

It is really tricky and we have to be very watchful what we put into us. We don't need more toxin - we are trying to get rid of them.

I will let you know if I hear anything important. For now, we are off on a vacation - this one I have been waiting for for a few years.

Til later. Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi is right about the fish oil - that is what I have been told. Carlsons Cod Liver Oil was recommended because it tested with no detectable mercury. That doesn't mean there isn't a trace amount. But, it is one of ones that tested cleanest.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi, you're a wealth of info. Enjoy your trip.
tomwisefoole
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomwisefoole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what you want to look for is a supplement that Specifically Says on the label......Molecularly Distilled...which means the mercury,cadmium, etc is removed and the product is safe. a good brand like jarrow or source naturals is fine. i pretty much have stopped eating fish altogether. ..its sad, to see the food chain now contaminated like this. sushi is a favorite but i cant bring myself to eat all that mercury now. tuna sandwiches.......cant eat it anymore. too bad. we have to think of eating fish as we would think of eating lead paint chips off old buildings....something our parents always warned us never to do.its hard to imagine that we today, our generation of human beings is the First generation of the entire human species ,going back many thousands of years,with an ancient ancestry of hunting and eating fish as a staple of survival for these many thousand years, .....now we represent the First generation of humans who must break away from this primal ,instinctive impulse to eat fish. we have to force ourselves to stop eating fish. and probably the next 4 generations of humans on this planet ,as well, denied the safety of eating fish,and if our planet isnt destroyed in these next 40 years,and somehow the oceans are made safe again, humans can start eating fish again,but as of Now.... All fish is contaminated with unsafe levels of toxic metals.and the rivers are More contaminated than the oceans. it should be a wake up call for the human species and the state of our planet that is being destroyed in our lifetime.
Posts: 205 | From california | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reibersc
Member # 5752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reibersc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question....my hubby takes Rescue 1250....which is touted to be the purest fish oil around and contain the highest and purest concentrations of EPA and DHA. He takes it to help lower his cholesterol and it is working even better than any prescription he ever took. I never thought it could hurt him....have to look into the mercury thing a little closer.
Posts: 23 | From Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may also contain Vitamin D...and, this is starting to be a major concern for Lymies.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thnaks for post. Many doc`s push fish & omega 3 needed. I was told long time ago to take for cholesterol lowering.

.They had program on fish from Tampa bay where I live on.

Our coast guard dumps tons of battery~s they knew it was coast guard from marking. Alot of shell fish & other fish made there homes there.

It was really disgusting to see all the hazardous crud dumped in our Bay by the very guys who are to stop that type thing.

Grrrrr
I used to love swordfish. Have not had for yrs.
Not sure what is safe to eat. Can drive oneself nuts all the things we are told are bad for us then good.

Such as margarine, pushed on us. Now back to butter or olive oil.

Low Carb diets are causing some big problems. Essential carbs needed.

Italy they eat alot of ghetti,bread,live very long healthy lives. Must be the WINE with meal,hmmmmmm

I was taught moderation is the best way to go. Body has way of adjusting.

Look at Mexicans, they can drink their water, no problems.Their bods adjusted. We can get monta zumas revenge just from lettuce washed in their water.

Body has amazing waya of adjusting to our environment through time. I have not been eating protein foods. Think my bod is
craving. Have felt like crap with less meat.

My dad ate poor diet,bakery,fat off meat, not greens or salads. Never was illtill 80`.He played ball till 80. Then finally got cancer.He ate lots sweet carbs,fat & low choesterol. I watch what I eat cholesterol quite high. Mom also.

Mom watched her diet,had cancer at 40 then herat trouble, with quad bypass. Still prob.

Do go figure.

Think we are to worryed. Test studies. Been in many & ran. It always was slanted.

Appears in bible people live forever,in filth,voiding etc. in streams where they had to use for water & thmeselves for personal use.hmmmmmm

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement