LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy side effects & What would you do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy side effects & What would you do?
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

PART ONE-DOXY SIDE EFFECTS?
Okay so now I've been on Adoxa (Doxy) 400 mg/day for about a week and I'm having a hard time telling what's what. (I was on 200 mg/day for 9 days prior to upping my dose)

Since I bumped the doxy dose up I'm feeling pretty tired alot especially right after I take it. I also find that I'm a little confused and foggy. And today I got chills for a while after taking it.

Oh yeah, and instead of getting stomach distress I'm actually hungry all the time! And my EM rash, muscle aches, fever, neck ache, etc that I had before the abx. are pretty much gone.

So, I'm trying to figure out if these are side effects of the Doxy. Or are they from the Lyme? Or are they herxing? Or are they from being freaked out about the whole thing and basically anxiety-produced?

PART 2:WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Here's my other question-I'm being confused about what to do. I'm in Colorado and was diagnosed with Lyme by a dermatologist at the end of July (about 4-5 weeks after being infected) based on the fact that I had EM and an assortment of other symptoms (fever, fatigue, mild muscle pain, neck ache). So all the wonderful folks here have encouraged me to get myself to a LLMD and provided me with reccommendations.

I've contacted three ILADS Docs so far with these results:

Two require me to see them and take a bunch of lab tests-one charges $450 for the first visit and the other charges $775 for the first visit. Neither office could tell me what lab tests they ask for or how much they might cost. First available appts are in late Sept/early Oct.

The third one was very nice and called me back immediately. He listened briefly to my story and said that I was doing the right thing and that he reccommended waiting to see how I feel after 4 weeks on the Doxy at 400 mg. If I'm feeling good he said to take take another 2 weeks of meds just to be sure but that I would probably be okay. If I wasn't feeling good he thought I should come see him. I asked him about co-infections and he said he usually doesn't deal with those until he's addressed the Lyme especially since I had the EM rash.

So my inclination is to do what the Doc I actually spoke to said to do. My reasons are:

1. I think I'm following a pretty agressive abx regimen. I'm also taking supplements and overall I don't think I'm doing too badly.
2. I'm reluctant to have to take a bunch of lab tests that are often inconclusive.
3. I'm reluctant to fly to NY during this whole election time-I know that that sounds paranoid but what can I say.
4. The cost of all this is a problem for us-our insurance is not likely to cover any of this and my husband is out of work (I have a very low paying job). Of course I'd pay whatever it takes to have my health but I don't really want to pay thousands of dollars for unneccessary tests and treatment.

So I'm trying to do the sensible thing. Any thoughts on what is sensible in my situation?

Thanks so much, you've all been so wonderful helping me so far. I'm truly grateful.

-Shanna

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I loved the price of doxy, I had to stop taking it.

Get the pamphlet that comes with the prescription from your pharmacist. Save them when they come with your prescriptions.

Many LLMDs believe the patient should take meds until a month after all symptoms are gone.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shanna-

It sounds like you are going this alone.

I never split hairs about whether I was having herxs or symptoms. As the doxy works you could feel some of the things you have been feeling. When I was on doxy and upped my dose I felt like I had been hit by a truck, but it passed in maybe a week. At this point it was years ago so I don't remember clearly.

You may need abx longer than you or the dr you spoke with told you. Typically, you would go a period of time symptom/herx free before quitting abx. My llmd says three months.

If you aren't, you need to take probiotics, suppliments and use adjunct therapies to get well. You can read about them on lymenet.

At some point you need to test/treat for co-infections.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muscle aches, fever, neck ache all indicate disseminated disease. They are what are called constitutional symptoms.

From Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines

DISSEMINATED DISEASE -- Multiple lesions, constitutional symptoms, lymphadenopathy, or any other manifestations of dissemination.

EARLY DISSEMINATED -- Milder symptoms present for less than one year and not complicated by immune deficiency or prior immunosuppressive treatment:

1. Adults: Oral therapy until no active disease for 4 weeks (4-6 months typical)

So, according to Dr. Burrascanno, six weeks is not long enough given your symptoms. Your current symptoms sound like they may be a herx, though doxy is also known for causing tiredness on it's own. It can also cause the hunger.

If it were me, I'd play it safe and take the meds for longer than six weeks. You don't want to be stuck with this long term. You might want to make an appt. now with one of the doctors who can't see you till later. You can always cancel it if you are doing well enough. But if you already have it, you won't have to wait even longer if you aren't doing well. Just make sure you know the cancellation policy, and give the office enough notice.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lulu
Member # 6031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lulu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needleseye,

I am currently seeing a well regarded LLMD in the NY area. I've been symptomatic for several months, maybe more. This week I started at Doxy 200mg and now, several days in, my doctor has increased the dosage to 400mg. Let's hope I continue to tolerate it well.

Interestingly, I too am quite hungry. I'm also trying to cut out yeast and sugar.

I also felt significant fatigue after my first few doses. I asked the nurse about this and she suggested that perhaps I hadn't taken in enough water at the start. I've been told my doctor, nurse, and pharmacist that I must drink A LOT of water with the Doxy. If you aren't already doing this you might want to try to increase your water intake quite a bit.

Good luck!

Posts: 11 | From NY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 7 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rita, Mel, riversinger and Lulu for your input...all good advice, insight and suggestions.

:-)
Shanna

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxycycline is known to cause some serious fatigue, along with other unfriendly side effects such as depression. The phamplets they give you at the pharmacy, half the time, do not list all of these side effects. I had to look to actual medical textbooks that I bought

at a book store to find all of the side effects of some of the drugs I was on.

As for what to do, personally I would never end treatment without being checked for coinfections. BUT that is just my honest opinion.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Crimeoflyme and Cave76

Thanks for your posts...the pamphlet I got from the pharmacy only mentions the stomach distress and sun sensitivity-so it helps to know that's not all that I should be aware of.

And thanks for honest opinions...honesty is something I like to count on.

-Shanna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement