LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Interesting call from Health Dept. re tick disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting call from Health Dept. re tick disease
doggiemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doggiemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a call from my county's health department. They are doing a follow-up on all reported tick in this area. The doctors in this state are supposed to report tick disease cases and the health department just got my lab report, which showed I was positive for Ehrlichia, so I was one they were following up on.

I talked with the person from the health department for quite a while, letting her know all the problems I've had trying to get tested and properly treated, and how the doctors have to go look it up in their books because they don't even know what Ehrlichia is, and how doctosr have been telling me that Lyme is not found in this state and refuse to test me. I wanted to make sure they knew what a problem tick disease patients in this state have getting proper testing and treatment. I also told them that the reported cases they have are probably just a fraction of what is really happening, because so many doctors don't test for it, even if the symptoms are there, and many patients are being misdiagnosed. She seemed to know that this has been a problem in our state. She also said that only two-fold titers have to be reported to the health department, and that many doctors don't do the two-fold titers, so many cases may not be getting reported. I'm glad at least my Ehrlichia was reported to them.

She said that it looks like tick disease is becoming more of a problem in this state than they originally thought. She said she had a recent report of LD to follow up on and one report of RMSF too. She said these reports will go to the CDC, who is then supposed to inform doctors that these diseases are becoming a problem in our state, and make them aware of the symptoms so that they can be properly diagnosed.

She said she would make sure the CDC gets a report of all the trouble I'm having getting treated for Ehrlichia and getting the proper testing for LD and that I'm having to go out of state to get help. I don't know what will come of it, but it's a start at least.

Posts: 106 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JesusisLord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesusisLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mind telling us which state you are located in?
Posts: 111 | From Tick Country | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
edited out

[This message has been edited by Lishs mom (edited 19 August 2004).]

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SandiB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1557

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SandiB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doggiemom,

Please tell us what state you are in? Or just tell me yes or no....is it Florida?

I'm meeting with the Sec't of Health at that time and this info would help me present my case for the state. If you like just email me [email protected]

Thanks,
SandiB

Posts: 991 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doggiemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doggiemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Tennessee.
Posts: 106 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doggiemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6094

A suggestion to anyone who has any tick disease. Let your county's health department know about it. Send the lab work to them as proof. This includes those who had to go out of state to get diagnosed. Let the health department know that you were unable to find a local doctor to take you seriously.

It looks like the county health department is our first "tool" in creating awareness. Since they have to report these diseases to the CDC, if enough reports come in from these states where doctors or the CDC claim there is no tick disease, eventually the CDC and doctors will have to start taking this seriously.

JesusisLord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesusisLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your response as to where you are located. I am originally from TN and have family there. It is a big problem in TN.

A family member was told recently, by an ID duck there in Nashville, that there is no Lyme in TN - it is all at St. Martha's vineyard. Needless to say, this family member wanted to wring this duck's neck.

I will call my local health dept. again. I called a few months back to see if it had been reported and it had not been.

Posts: 111 | From Tick Country | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The amazing thig is that positive Lyme tests from labs are not always required to be reported to the CDC.

Even CT labs no longer have to report positive cases to the CDC.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaCLD
Member # 6050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaCLD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really not surprised at the stupidity regarding this disease! I had very little - if no knowledge of Lyme before I was diagnosed.

Here in MN, I don't think many doctors look for it at all. My doc has tested and treated many of his patients with the "symptoms" with or without the positive test.

Do you know what his reward was?? Having one of his colleages report him to the state for treating patients without a positive test result!

What a crock!!!

Posts: 15 | From Edgerton MN USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lived in Kingsport, TN when our daughter was bitten. She was hospitalized, but since the IFA test for Lyme came out negative, they decided it was rheumatological. Later they decided it was a "general tick infection".

We didn't get positive tests until after we moved to another state and started treatment in NC. Another Lyme statistic under the radar for TN as far as CDC reporting.

I am curious if you know what type of tick bit you. I think in our case,it was a dog tick (somewhat controversial as a vector of Lyme). I had saved it at first, but since no one was interested I tossed it.

I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and I definitely agree with you that there is a problem in Tennessee.

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doggiemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6094

Nearly every tick bite I've had this year (and there have been a lot), were either deer ticks or lone star ticks. So far I have not seen many dog ticks here. Even those that bit my dog this year were all deer or lone star. This is the first year I've ever seen any ticks on him. We had the worst tick season I've ever seen in my 24 years in this state.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement