LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia and Ehrlichia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia and Ehrlichia
fulton
Member # 6125

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fulton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I am new to Lyme Net.

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 18 months ago, Babesia 10 months ago and Ehrlichia 2 months ago.

I would like to hear from other people who have lyme and several co-infection, how you are/have been treated and how you are feeling now.

------------------

Posts: 6 | From Washington, D.C. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome fulton. Many of us have co-infections. Sometimes they can be hard to get rid of, like Lyme disease. It is good that you finally got diagnosed. Were you also tested for bartonella?

One way for newbies to get a lot of information about a subject in a big hurry is to use the search function on this website. Go to the top of this page, find a string of 5 words that ends in search. Click on it, fill in the box with the terms (like babesia, etc) and watch a whole raft of previous threads on this subject appear like magic! This way you get the benefit of people who may no longer be posting here or did not see your post. Some topics have been discussed many times, and after a while, people tend to slack off on replies, because they have repeated themselves over and over.

So, give the search function a try. I bet you will like it.

I'm sure you will hear from other people too.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fulton,

I was diagnosed with lyme in October 03, and babesia in December 03. I was treated for the first month with Doxycycline and the second month with Omnicef and Doxycycline, then my LLMD found the babesia. I have just finished 8 rounds of Mepron/Zithromax and am finally feeling good most days. I was diagnosed early and received treatment 6 weeks after the bite. Babesia seems to have been the bigger issue for me. It took a good 5-6 rounds of Mepron and Zithromax before I had several good days in a row. I have just recently resumed a walking program and hope to return to work later this fall. I would be interested to know how your treatment for erlichia is going? Take care and hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rene

P.S. We may have the same LLMD, I live about 30 miles from D.C. in MD.

Posts: 366 | From Louisville KY. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fulton, and welcome.

Several of us are going through the babesia treatment now -- you can check it out "in progress" at Mepron Buddies.

Don't know the outcome of treatment yet. But after 5 months, I'm doing much better. One more month on babs tx for me, and I don't know what's after that. I see the doc next week.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fulton
Member # 6125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fulton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeNet is great.

Thank you for the responses and support. I am already feeling better.

I know that many people have coinfections, nevertheless, I have not been able to find much information on how to treat multiple coinfections. My doctor says that you cannot treat babesia before the ehrlichia has been treated, while I read somewhere that you cannot treat ehrlichia before treating babesia. Based on my own experience, I am beginning to fear that both may be right.

Is it possible to treat both coinfections at the same time with for example a mepron/zithromax/doxycline combo or doxycycline/artemesinin or something else?

Posts: 6 | From Washington, D.C. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, it is possible to treat both at the same time. I was treated that way, in fact. Both of the combos you mentioned are possibilities, it seems to me, but if you have a Lyme doc, probably are going to have to go with what he or she prescribes.

Not all Lyme docs think the same. I guess that is because it is complex, without any easy answers.

The doc who treated me for babesia and lyme at the same time said his experience was that in co-infections, whatever he wasn't treating got worse.

Of course, a combination of multiple drugs can be harder to cope with, yeast and diet wise, and also any possible drug side effects.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doggiemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doggiemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fulton:
My doctor says that you cannot treat babesia before the ehrlichia has been treated, while I read somewhere that you cannot treat ehrlichia before treating babesia.

I don't know about humans, but having an Ehrlichia dog (co-infected with Babesia at one time), I know that in dogs Ehrlichia is usually treated before Babesia.

Posts: 106 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BennyAndTheJets
Member # 5940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BennyAndTheJets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minoucat, you said:

Several of us are going through the babesia treatment now -- you can check it out "in progress" at Mepron Buddies.

Where is this and how can I find it??

thanks...

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mepron buddies redux is at http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/025770.html

It has some links to other mepron buddies lists. There are some others that you can find via the Search function (under the New Topic/Reply to Topic buttons)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement