LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Disability coverage - is it possible with Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disability coverage - is it possible with Lyme?
GrandmaCLD
Member # 6050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaCLD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to keep working, but have to suffer through every day. I've worked for 34 years, and wish I could quit and just try and get better.

The Social Security office is telling me I have to be off work for 5 months before I can get approved - you could lose your home by then!

Has anyone applied for disability due to Lyme - is there any way to shorten the wait?

Posts: 15 | From Edgerton MN USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma, There have been some recent posts regarding this. If you go to medical and then click on the word search that is just above the posts, not the one on the margin..you will get a fill in th ebalnk form to search..If you put in the topic,you may find it or if you search for the last 30 days of ConnieMc or Tincup, you will find what you need.

Good luck.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that a few have gotten it with a diagnosis of Lyme. I have Lyme Disease and am currently on SSD.

But, remember this...it is NOT the disease that you are awarded SSD or SSDI. IT is what the symptoms of that disease that prevents you from working that they will base your case on to get an approval.

Much, and I mean much has been posted on this and good links given, both in Medical and in General Forums. I just wrote, I believe it was yesterday a rather lengthly post just on this subject. You may use my name in the search and you'll get a lot of those posts, as I have responded to as many as I could.

It took me from April 2000 til December 2003 to see a dime. Most of ALL the people that apply are turned down the first time (of course as with anything, there are exceptions). Most folks with a death sentence diagnosis, such as some of the Leukemias do get it without having to go through a 3 step process, 1st denial, reconsideration and then the Judge.

Those three steps are more common than not.

Some states have more workers on the SS and will get to you faster, but, most do not and the process is very, very slow. So, Getting Social Security Disability or SSI usually is NOT a quick fix.

The two most important things that I can tell you is:

1) Get to an attorney that specializes in Social Security Disability claims.

2) THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT things you can do and it is get letters from your doctors supporting that you can no longer work at anything or any job full-time.

The SSA put a high score on what YOUR doctors say.

AS for getting approved in 5 months and getting your money, that is a best-case and not usual with those who have our symptoms of fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue.

Then if and when you get approved, it can be another 4-6 months before you actually get a dime. So, you'd have to plan to be off work for at least a year before money would be in the picture...but, more than likely longer...much longer.

If you do not know how to do a search, Dan has provided a step-by-step instructions on how to do a search.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000464.html

Remember, you must not be working when you first apply and if you go back to work during the process, you will not get approved and will have to start over with a new application.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SSDI presumes that shorter term disability will be covered by State or employer disability programs. It is really only for long term disability, which is why the five month wait.

Check and see if you can begin your application now. It will take them, and you, at least five months to process it.

Rosemary is right, they award the disability based on your function, or lack of it. However, you have to have proof, so a diagnosis they understand, and a doctor's testimony make a difference.

Here are some links to get you started. Some of them mention CFS, but it all applies equally to Lyme.

How to use the Lymenet Search

Disability Info & Resources
Completing Disability Forms
Five Crucial Steps to Winning your CFS Disability Case
Trying to Look Good When You Feel Like Crap: Don't
Daily Activities Worksheet (PDF)
SF-36 Functional Capacity (PDF)

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaCLD
Member # 6050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaCLD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you for your answers and help. My Doc is behind me all the way - it is just very discouraging to be in such pain and exhaustion all day.
Posts: 15 | From Edgerton MN USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 2 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riversinger, SSDI and SSI are still administered by the Social Security Administration. BOTH REQUIRE THAT YOUR DISABILITY PREVENTS YOU FROM WORKING FOR AT LEAST ONE FULL YEAR, FULL-TIME.

To put it simply, the difference is how much money or assests one has and whether one has paid enough credits through their working in the past. If you have ENOUGH credits, assets and access to money, then you'd get SSDI...

if you qualify for your state's Medicaid program, then the Social Disability program you'd qualify for is SSI and would NOT qualify for Medicare.

Here's what the www.ssa.gov site says the difference is:

Both programs are administered by the Social Security Administration. For most people, the medical requirements for each program are the same and the person's disability is determined by the same process, although each program has some distinctions, as noted below.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a program financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers and self-employed persons.

In order to be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work. Disability benefits are payable to disabled workers, disabled widow(er)'s or adults disabled since childhood, who are otherwise eligible. Auxiliary benefits may be payable to a worker's dependents, as well.

The monthly disability benefit payment is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker on whose Social Security number the disability claim is filed.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program financed through general tax revenues.

SSI disability benefits are payable to adults or children who are disabled or blind, who have limited income and resources, who meet the living arrangement requirements, and are otherwise eligible.

The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate which is standardized in all States, but not everyone gets the same amount because it may be supplemented by the State or decreased by other countable income and resources.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rosemary,

Yes, you are right about SSDI and SSI. However, at least in CA, there is also state disability that covers the short term. This is ususally only available if you were employed, not self employed.

It is not Medicaid, but a program that the employer pays into. In addition to CA, I know that New York also has this, and I would guess most states. It is usually not a lot of money, but it is better than zero.

My sister and my son both had this, so I know it exists. If the disability lasts longer, then you look to federal disability programs.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 12 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to get a copy of your file to see what your doctors wrote about you. This report needs to state you are totally disabled for all full-time work and state why.
You do not need an attorney as long as your doctor gives the right information.
I worked there before lyme for many years. Yes, you can get disability due to lyme disease. My daughter was an attorney for 17 years and receives SSD.
But you must see what is in your file.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it 2 years ago when I had to close my business cuz i just couldnt function any more. They gave it to me right away with no lawyer. I had to wait for the required 5 months with no work befor getting a check.

I had no reall diagnosis then. I had been to a sleep dr. cuz i was sleeping 20 hrs of every day and never refreshed. They said I had excessive daytime sleepiness (eds) with possible narcolepsy. I was labled drug resistant cuz none of the drugs they gave me worked or else I couldnt take them due to side effect.

You know the routine, thyroid, groth hormone definiency and on and on. 3 months ago they now tell me i have lyme.

The diagnosis is not important its all about the symptoms. Its funny now but I had a very hard time understanding and answering the questions. The form was a mess and i think that was in my favor. when they asked did i go out anywhere on a regular basis my answer was the simple truth: yes, to the mailbox!

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement