LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Loosing my gallbladder on Wed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loosing my gallbladder on Wed
trying2bsunny
Member # 5798

Icon 11 posted      Profile for trying2bsunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found out this week my gallbladder doesn't have stones but is next to nonfunctioning. It took over 3 hours for it to fill up with enough dye to even show up on the hyda scan.
So wed morning they're removing it. I know it's a common surgery but I'm still spazzing about it.

For anyone that has had this done is it going to send me into a major tailspin? That is my biggest fear that after surgery I'm really ganna crash.

Posts: 53 | From Nct. Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KLS
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I'm fairly new to the site, with not much experience on lyme, but I can tell you that when my symptoms began this past winter, my doc did find that my gallbladder was full of stones and needed to be removed. I was having horrible pains that kept me up most of the night and couldn't wait for it to come out! I hope that you didn't have to deal with all the discomfort!

If you're having the surgery done laproscopically (which seems to be the case most of the time, unless they run into complications) don't worry, you'll do just fine. My general md was so casual about the gallbladder coming out that I didn't worry much and thought I'd be up and around the next day, and that was really the toughest part for me. It will take a few days afterward to feel like getting up and around-don't push yourself and take time to rest. Within a few weeks you'll feel good again. Some people have told me that they have a lot of problems with "gas" afterward, but it wasn't a problem for me and as far as diet, I am eating everything that I was prior to surgery without any problems.

I can't give much advice on the surgery and it's correlation to lyme because at the time I had my gallbladder out, I was so ill I hoped that all my problems would be solved, but right after surgery all my symptoms began again (except the horrible stomach pain!)

I wish you the best on your surgery and remember to keep in mind to take it easy for a few days after and have someone there to help you (esp. if you have little ones like me!) because you need the rest!

Keep us posted on your progress and we'll keep you in our thoughts!

Kim

Posts: 90 | From NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc also was nonchalant about the surgery. It seems to be an easy, common procedure.

For better or worse, procedures like this do seem to set off Lyme, but you could work that in your favor. Are there any abx you were hoping to try anyway, but putting off because of the inevitable herx? Now's your chance to get it on board.

This last comment is very new agey, and please feel free to quickly discard it--but I chose not to have my gallbladder removed because my physical therapist said the body uses it to process stress. Luckily, a combination of craniosacral therapy and Actigall helped with the stones, and I haven't felt any pain there in over a year.

Since it sounds like yours is ready to come out, though, is there some kind of gentle, calm exercise you can pursue to help with stress buildup?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good that you are having this done electively. I had emergency gall bladder surgery after it burst. Believe me when I say you dont want to do it that way.

I had gall bladder disease, no stones (which sounds like what is going on with you).

You may want to take digestive enzymes after the surgery but other than that...it is a very common surgery.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,Rocephin causes gallbladder sludging.I had mine out before I new I should stop the rocephin and just let the sludge slowly get out of there.The sugury was not to bad,they used a lazer.I had adhesions for two years they HURT.Allso got the diareah real bad everytime i ate fat. MADDOG
Posts: 3997 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mine out from Rocephin, too. It really wasn't that bad, and I don't think my LD got any worse for the wear. Honestly, I just felt better having the painful thing taken out of my stomach!
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also lost my gallbladder due to Rocephin-caused gallstones. The surgery for me wasn't bad. It was kind of emergency surgery in that I went to the ER with an especially bad attack (I already knew I had stones and was waiting to meet with a surgeon about it), went to the ER, and was admitted and had it out a few days later. They had me up and walking around the night of the day of the surgery (I had the surgery in the late morning) and I was released the next day. It took about a week or more for me to really feel like myself and it took a little longer than that for me to really feel I was "healed" from the surgery. But overall it was very easy to deal with. My Lyme didn't flare badly, although the stress of the surgery wasn't great for me (my anxiety came up BIG TIME). I think having to be in bed for a while was actually good for me because I was pushing myself pretty hard at that point.

Hope things go smoothly - I'm sure it will.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 7 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Good luck on your surgery. I had a gallbladder scare in ER in the spring.

As long as I didn't move, it didn't hurt. LOL.

You said you were afraid of crashing after surgery.....

My favorite immune stimulant is MGN-3 by Lane Labs, but FDA just banned it. That was the best over-the-counter stuff. Very expensive, but it worked fast.

(There was nothing wrong with it; mislabeling was their big sin.)

You're probably already well covered with anti-oxidants, but here are some ideas for you to consider.

This is what I would probably do extra:

Liquid Co-Q10 softgels by Twinlab or your favorite----- as much as I could afford.
(not wal-mart)

NAC - N-Acetyl Cysteine capsules for rebuilding the body. You need sulphur for rebuilding tissues. Take on empty stomach with Vit. C & B6.

(This is not related to SULFA DRUGS, that's something totally different. If you can eat garlic & onions, you can take NAC)

Beta Glucans - these are too expensive, but they work. They stimulate your immune system, but don't work on infection directly.

Try not to get the kind made with oats---not effective.

Here's a costly suggestion:
Immunition Glucan Extra Strength 10 mg per day for a 160 lb. person.

Some health food stores carry these. We always purchased them on discount day - Tuesdays 20% off ----- so it wasn't so darn expensive.

They come in quantities of 30 caps or 60 caps.

This is their site. Has good info, too.

http://www.nsc24.com/nsc24.htm

Also, for protein shake, use a can of your favorite Denatured Whey protein to build glutathione levels.

From health food store: "America's #1 Protein - Designer Protein Whey" for $17.

(I don't get that $50 stuff; too costly)

To look at it: www.designerwhey.com

(The website is weird; click on products; & then denatured whey. Darn, they don't show the small can I use which is 12.7 oz.----sorry.)

You may not have much of an appetite, but do try to keep your protein levels up.

Only if Physician approved: Add 1 tablespoon of Essential Fatty Acid (keep refrigerated) it will stick with you longer. (please, please check with doctor on that)

Then add your favorite fruits:
frozen bananas, strawberries, yogurt,etc.

You can also add l T. of unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses only from health food store $4; it's chock full of minerals. It will really build you up & energize you.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how things go.
Best wishes,
Jan

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 04 September 2004).]

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 04 September 2004).]

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shassler64
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shassler64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope all goes well.Sending happy wishes from the land downunder.

Is it from rocephin?

I watch mine carefully and pulse the rocephin so hopefully it won't happen.

Take care,Sue from Downunder.

Posts: 801 | From Kiama,Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be praying for you. I know it is scary to go under the knife especially when you have time to think of it.
I had 2 c-sections, the first one was emergency and the second one was planned.
Was very afraid second time.
But, it will be fine, just know that in your heart. You have plenty backing you.

~Big Hug! Amanda

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trying2bsunny
Member # 5798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trying2bsunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for your replies and well wishes. I have managed to calm myself down some,and to relax a bit.

Recipegirl,
I'm going to check into the stuff you mentioned today as soon as I'm done with this post. Thanx for all the good info.

Kara,
I agree with you about not having it done on emergency basis. That had to be scarey for you!

Maddog,slcd,arg82,
Yes i think it's due to Rocephin. I was on IV for 90 days 2grams a day. My doc never suggested anyhting to protect my gallbladder. As a matter of fact i took doxy for a year without any accidopholus because i had no clue about it.

If this is going to stop the doubling over stomach pains traveling into my shoulder and back then i can deal with the fear of surgery.

Once again thank you all for you responses and well wishes!

Posts: 53 | From Nct. Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying,

I dont remimber it being scary. What I remember is yelling, "TAKE IT OUT!". By that time I think I would have been glad if they hadnt even waited to put me to sleep.

Dont fret over it too too much. If it is elective you should be on your feet in no time. Just dont wait to long.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering...

if it is really necessary to loose your gallbladder if steps are followed... like below.
Or if you do gallbladder flushes or gallbladder herbs or health drinks to keep the gallbladder from building up sludge in it from the antibiotics.

Got this info from Dr B's guidlines...
and dont know if others have seen it.
I do not want to loose my gallbladder...
Some I know have lost it and are not the same, their digestion is not the same.
I am doing beet drinks, olive oil and lemon juice to keep the gallbladder working... and I do notice that sometimes I take this drink I am quite ill... but feel better later.

When choosing a third generation cephalosporin, there are several points to
remember: Ceftriaxone has 95% biliary excretion and can crystallize in the
biliary tree with resultant colic and possible cholecystitis. GI excretion
results in a large impact on gut flora. Biliary and superinfection problems
with ceftriaxone can be lessened if this drug is given in interrupted
courses, such as three to five days in a row each week. More recently,
chenodeoxycholic acid, used to dissolve gallstones, is being prescribed
along with ceftriaxone as prophylaxis. Cefotaxime is less convenient to
administer because of the need for either multiple daily doses or continuous
infusions, but as it has only 5% biliary excretion, it never causes biliary
concretions, and may have less impact on gut flora. It is the experience of
some clinicians that cefotaxime can be even more efficacious if given as a
continuous infusion, rather than in interrupted doses.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orion
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3858

Icon 13 posted      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Well, I'm going to take a different viewpoint about this. I share your apprehension about having your gallbladder removed.

I think we should hold on to all our "parts" as long as possible. Too often the medical profession treats them as if they were "spare parts" and is way too casual about taking them out.

If you go to the gallbladder flush group on Yahoo http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/gallstones/ you can learn about doing the liver flush (SOOOO easy!)and possibly save your gallbladder.

I say don't don't have surgery without trying to save your gallbladder first.

You could be pleasantly surprised as countless others have been before you, including yours truly. The doctors will be just as happy to take it out two weeks from now as they are this week.

Check it out!

orion

Posts: 245 | From Tickafornia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had gallbladder problems since my late 20's...

Sunday...I will do my first full fledged gallbladder/liver cleanse.'

I was advised to have mine removed last winter.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking to see how you're doing -- please give us an update when you're feeling up to it.

Hope it went well!

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement