LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Poll question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll question
edvardo
Member # 6163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edvardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am curious as to how many lymies had the oral polio vaccine in childhood.

I did...in a sugar cube I believe.

If you don't have the big polio needle scar on your upper arm then you had the oral.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the little needles.
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the sugar cube
Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the scar was from the smallpox vaccine. I had the sugar cube for polio. kt
Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cube
Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edvardo
Member # 6163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edvardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be right...it may have bee the smallpox vaccine...I always thought it was the polio shot
because that is the only shot that I know of that can be either oral or needle. That's why some like myself dont have the scar.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edvardo
Member # 6163

To the top
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drops.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 11 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by krazykt1:
I thought the scar was from the smallpox vaccine. I had the sugar cube for polio. kt

THATS CORRECT!!!

I didn't know that the Polio vaccine came in the shot form...I believe that you are mistaken. I'm 53 and was in the very first wave of receipients of the Polio vaccine.

I even had class members that were effected by Polio before the vaccine came out.

For sure, the little scar on your arm is from the Small Pox vaccine.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. The needles are smallpox.
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edvardo
Member # 6163

I think we are both correct...

Here is the scoop but my point was to see if the live oral vaccine given to so many of us in childhood had any influence on our ability to fend off some bacterial infections:

The Salk and Sabin Vaccines Today

The Salk vaccine is given in two intramuscular injections spaced one month apart and requires boosters every 5 years. Because of the way it is inactivated, the vaccine is safe for those with compromised (weakened) immune systems.

Polio immunization at Cutter Lab. Berkeley, CA, 1955.
Photo by March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation, 1996.

The Sabin oral vaccine is given in 3 doses in the first two years of life, and a booster is given when the child starts school. Further boosters are not given unless the patient is exposed to polio or will be traveling to an endemic region. The advantages of a live, oral vaccine are its long-lasting immunity, the prevention of reinfection of the digestive tract, and the lower cost of administering the vaccine orally because sterile syringes and needles are not necessary. However, a major disadvantage is that it cannot be used for patients with compromised immune systems because it is a live virus and can cause disease in these patients. It also cannot be used by those in close contact with immunocompromised patients because the live virus in the vaccine can be shed in the feces of those who ingest it, and can possibly be transmitted to the immunocompromised patient. Another disadvantage of the Sabin oral vaccine is that those who have an enterovirus infection of the gastrointestinal tract when taking the oral vaccine may not develop the immune response. Clearly, both vaccines have their advantages and disadvantages with regard to relative safety and cost.

edvardo
Member # 6163

"However, a major disadvantage is that it cannot be used for patients with compromised immune systems because it is a live virus"

This makes me wonder if a child had had any infection at the time, like a cold or flu, and the live vaccine was administered, would it possibly affect the immune system over the long term.

One thing I notice with a lot of lymies is that they have felt 'not right' for so many years of their life even before lyme was diagnosed.

[This message has been edited by edvardo (edited 05 September 2004).]

[This message has been edited by edvardo (edited 05 September 2004).]

MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,My parents got me both,they took no chances with me getting polio. MADDOG
Posts: 4010 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeit
Member # 5018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral...drops I think.
Posts: 43 | From Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement