LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How many consecutive days can Diflucan be taken?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many consecutive days can Diflucan be taken?
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking one Diflucan l00 mg on a daily basis now for 2l days. Also, Yeast Defense, Nystatin 6 daily, lots probiotics, trying to eat low carb, no sugar and anything else I can think of to do to rid yeast.

I've read where you can take Diflucan for maybe a couple months without a liver problem, but not sure.

I'm off abx trying to eliminate yeast so I can concentrate on where my symptoms are coming from...Lyme or yeast. Very confusing.

Check out this list of yeast symptoms: http://www.stopyeast.com/news2.html

It's soooooo extensive.

I'm also doing CleanseSmart detox (thanks frenchbraid) and will start on the Paragone after that, hoping again to see if all this will eliminate the confusion of where symptoms are coming from at this point.

If anyone knows how long Diflucan can be taken without raising liver enzymes, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcpucho
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diflucan can be taken long term but blood must be taken once monthly to check liver levels. apparently diflucan can 'inflame' the liver. but it seems you know this.

nystatin may be a better choice than diflucan for that reason. i think it is redudant to take both.

as for cleansing be wary of programs. for example a popular liver cleanse program consist of drinking lime juice with olive oil while fasting.

you then 'deposit' stones (crap 'em out). in fact what you are releasing is the coagulated olive oil. i learned this at dr. andrew weil's website.

are you sure you have a yeast problem? or are you just concerned in the face of fear?

you can have a reliable stool test for candida at chelsea labs in ny. i can give you the info for that if you email me.

[This message has been edited by mcpucho (edited 05 September 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

I have heard when going for yeast- hit it with everything. You sure are, and I would watch the liver. I have read differnt things on this, and everyone is different.

Reason I looked cause just got, 7 days worth of difulcan awile ago, but he gave me 150mg and didn't notice til got to store, so breaking it up to be careful, cause health not the best right now, but if you think you can handle it, do it and get the enzymes checked. Or, maybe a break until you test, just to be careful.

Good Luck
Lymiecanuck

[This message has been edited by lymiecanuck (edited 06 September 2004).]

lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Actually was thinking it over. If it was me I would stop the diflucan, you would still have your bases covered. I wouldn't want to take a chance with the liver and end up with another problem.

My doc wasn't going to put me on flagyl and difulcan at same time cause it is hard on the liver.

Lymiecanuck

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this context the following could be interesting:
http://mind-brain.com/abstracts.php?qa=neuroborreliosis.

"Clinical effects of fluconazole in patients with neuroborreliosis.

Schardt FW.

Betriebsarztliche Untersuchungsstelle, Bayerische Julius-Maximilians-Universitat, Klinikstr. 3, D-97070 Wurzburg, Germany. [email protected]

Eleven patients with neuro-borreliosis had been treated with 200 mg fluconazole daily for 25 days after an unsuccessful therapy with antibiotics. At the end of treatment eight patients had no borreliosis symptoms and remained free of relapse in a follow-up examination one year later. In the remaining four patients, symptoms were considerably improved. At the end of therapy immune reactivity (IgM+) disappeared in three patients. Since borrelia spp. are almost exclusively localised intracellular, they may depend on certain metabolites of their eucaryotic host cell. Inhibition of P450 and other cytochromes by fluconazole may incapacitate Borrelia upon longterm exposure."

Personally, I rather think these people had an additional candida problem that got solved by the Diflucan, but who knows.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I have been taking 200mg of diflucan a day for almost three weeks. Two more days and im done. I had my blood tested last Monday and my liver and kidneys are fine.

But, everyone is different.

I am still on ABX though. I have to be to clear up a dental infection.

But, i had to do something about the yeast.

The nystatin will only work on your GI track starting from your mouth all the way down. At least that is what i THINK it does. It will not go into your blood stream to kill the yeast. That is why you need to take something like diflucan. It can go anywhere in your body and kill the yeast/candidia.

Keep up your probiotics and be very strict with your diet.

Good luck to you and let us know how your doing.

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poochini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poochini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you get a prescription for more than twice a month of diflucan? My insurance covers only once every two weeks. Granted, I can opt to buy more at $15 a pill, but I do wonder if anyone has managed to get a pre-auth for more diflucan.

Posts: 548 | From Diagnosed 2003 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all the information.

During my last visit with my LLMD, he did agree that I needed to work on the yeast. Stopping the abx was my idea, although, he knows I've been doing well and, hopefully, getting to the end of all this Lyme stuff.

And, I have never done detoxing, so my thinking is if I can clear up some of these side problems, I may be able to clear up some issues about Lyme. He agrees with the detoxing, also.

I have been on abx for l l/2 years with very good results. I figure I'm 85% better, maybe more. But, I have some residual symptoms that I think may be something else??? which is why I feel I need to clear up yeast and detox.

I do the yeast "spit" test, which, as I understand, gives a pretty good indication of systemic yeast. I do that in the AM first thing.
I learned about that on this Board (thanks Lymenet). Yeast is a tough cookie, I'm finding out.

I will also be going to an excellent endo in KC, Dr. S, next week, for hormone testing and perhaps other tests, liver enzymes, also.

According to my 24-hr urine test for hormones, I am very low in everything. My LLMD also agrees about seeing her, as I have been a chicken when it comes to injecting myself!

A Lymenet friend gave me Dr. S's number (thanks Lisa in AZ).

I am trying to work really hard to get a handle on what is left to deal with. It might help me know just where I'm at after all these other issues become more manageable.

I also had stomach problems, bloating, gurgling, horrible pain, and started taking L-Glutamine for leaky gut and Wobenzym N enzyme formula, and that did wonders. My LLMD suggested Wobenzym. I quit the enzyme formula while detoxing.

I have gotten such wonderful information, advice, and help, from so many people here on Lymenet, and thanks to them plus my LLMD, I feel I am on the road to better health.

It may or may not work for me, but I have to try. There's always abx, if I need them.

Thanks again everyone.

May we all be Lyme-free one day.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poochini....my insurance {Aetna} will pay for 60 tablets every 90 days if necessary. Of course, I don't use that much, but at least I have it when I need it.

lifeline....the shots for GHD are not very painful at all. Occasionally i hit a painful spot, but usually it's very easy and painless. And it's worth every stick!

Lifeline....where do you buy your Wobenzyme?

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Garlic (we use Kyolic tablets) and caprylic acid (also tablets) are also helpful w/yeast...I am also trying to sort out yeast vs Lyme symptoms. "Yeast Connection" is a great book and has other suggestions...

If I go off abx, I get sick really fast. I'd do diet, supplements and go off abx if it were possible, but have to do yeast meds w/the abx.

If I do Diflucan, I definitely get sicker (heart palp.'s and neuro stuff, headache etc.) Diflucan can increase the effects of some abx, like Biaxin, I've read, so it could be that...or the Diflucan could be affecting my Lyme (interesting link above) or it could be a yeast "herx." I guess it's impossible for any of us to know. Staying on the yeast meds for long enough, as you are, might clear up a lot.

I've never taken the Diflucan for more than 5 days, so it was interesting to read that you can get a prescription for much longer. I think my LLMD would do that...

Right now I am trying Nystatin for the first time. I am doing the "swish and swallow"- yechhhh!! Are you all doing a pill? I read that Nystatin isn't found in much quantity in stools and mainly addresses upper GI. Does anyone know if the pil form addresses lower GI problems?

Anyone having any problems taking both Diflucan and Nystatin at the same time? Any reason to be cautious about this?

I was glad to see this thread, very timely for me anyway! Thanks...

I'm going to look up CleanseSmart..what is Paragone?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie, I think the Nystatin pills take care of the intestinal tract. At least that was what I remembered reading way back. [who knows where!?]

I have always taken the Nystatin in pill form. I have taken Diflucan at the same time as the Nystatin, maybe for as long as a week at a time.

I don't think there's any conflict with taking both. They work differently.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Lymetoo,

The Wobenzyme I bought was at the same Health Food Store that Dr. C goes to. He told me about that store when I was there last month. It's huge and has everything, plus he said if you mention that you are his patient, they will give you a discount.

I'll try and be brave about the hormones!!!

Lyddie,

Yeast vs Lyme is a tough one to sort out, for sure. My residual symptoms could be co-infections, however, since I know I have yeast, I know it has to be dealt with, also.

I take Nystatin pills, but I won't be on Diflucan but a few more days.

Paragone (microbial cleanse) is the next step after CleanseSmart made by RenewLife.
This is the first time I will be trying their products.

Again, (thanks frenchbraid)!

Good luck Lyddie.

lifeline

Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first time in two years I have a totally clear and pink toungue after two months of taking virgin cold pressed coconut oil in high doses.

This is wonderful for systemic yeast, and also very medicinal in many other ways, including thyroid health. It is also a powerful immune food.

I just throw a tblspoon in my mouth every three hours, and wash down with diluted juice.

I am doing that, and also swigging down several cloves of raw, fresh garlic (must be chopped or chewed to activate allicin, so I chop and swig with juice) and eating soup loaded with garlic.

I did three months of Diflucan, and never had the outward symptom improvement. I figure, if I am going to do intensive therapy, why not try powerful natural intensive therapy that has bonus benefits.
I was on heavy abx with the Diflucan, and had to draw the line somewhere, I felt. I also did a liver/kidney cleanse program before starting this.

Pink toungue (hello!), no more red eye, no more heart palps, no more chicken skin on my thighs (not sure if that was yeast, but I'll take it..) and I pass the AM stringy spit test now.

As an added bonus, ladies, skin looks very clear and smooth..just beautimous , and it makes a great topical on your face before bed as well!

I have had DNA of two species found in my blood of Candida months ago and have not retested..so I can't be sure systemic yeast is gone yet, but pretty sure it is going..

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 06 September 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Wow, Mo, I'm so encouraged by what you posted. What is virgin cold pressed coconut oil?

When I think of coconuts, I think of the coconut we're not supposed to eat due to high cholesterol due to bad oils. That's my only experience with coconuts!! I must live in a shell!!!

I surely didn't know it works for Candida. Great information. The "spit" test results for me never seems to get better, and I yearn for clearance of this fungus.

Where do you buy it and how much do you take to get results? Oh, how I would love to pass the AM stringy "spit" test!

Mo, I'll bet you actually have eliminated yeast if the spit test is clear. That's a tough test to pass.

Those bonuses don't sound half bad, either.

Thanks for the encouraging help. Let me know where you buy it.

lifeline

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here ya go:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

This is truly a wonderous food.

I think the quality is very important in results, as with any "medicinal" food. It's more expensive..but, hey..it's food and medicine in one.

I have made the progress with this by dosing regularly, all day, every day.

I suppose later I could cut down to maintainance, but even ancient traditional healers.. "Bush" doctors, reccomend this food in high intake as a powerful immune food while fighting disease.

Cultures who have this in their diet as a mainstay (such as in the Phillipines) have far less disease, and "look" so much younger all of their lives.

It was a bit of a leap of faith to go off all anti-fungals in my case with documented
evidence of two strains of systemic Candida, and I do think the raw garlic has helped allot along with this..but I'm glad I did it, and just a couple of months with these results is better than I got on anything else, including 100mg per day Diflucan for months. (incidentally, after a couple months on Diflucan, I had a microscopic view of mt live blood, and there were still big clumps of yeast floating around!)
I felt the Diflucan killed some yeast, but was afraid of building a resitant strain. I also did not have this kind of symptom relief.

Garlic and Coconut can never create resistance.

I started by trying to use in eating..it is a great cooking oil, it also has a "butter like" consistency when below a certain temp or in fridge.. to spead on bread..ect..

but, honestly, I didn't really stick to that, and wasn't getting enough to be medicinal in my case, IMO..so I just take a tbsp of liquid every two/three hours while awake..to total eight doses. (it is liquid above a certain temperature..or you can let it liquify in your mouth..and then chase it with diluted juice. That is the best way for me to get the amounts I want right now.

This will give you about 800 calories in good lipids and other nutrients, stuff your body can use as fuel to fight with. I have also lost weight since eating it, so don't worry about these kinds of calories.

Ot also keeps you regular! (is there anything it won't do ?! )

It is great to throw in a smoothie for the kids:

Organic yogurt, plain..blackstrap molases (loaded with nutrients), a banana..and some berries is also a very nutricious smoothie..to get a little in them.

I should ad that I have this smoothie every day for breakfast (but skip the oil because I take so much of it anyway)..and I add two tblsp of green "Superfood" to mine, I eat free range eggs a few times a week, and I also have the chicken soup with lots of garlic (like twenty cloves) and greens, that we are talking about over in the General section. I'm back to drinking orange juice, because of it's nutritional value, and I'm not as paranoid about fruit sugars with Candida anymore.

I mention this because this I have also done daily since dosing Coconut oil..but the oil itself and garlic are the yeast busters.

It is a relief to take some of the work out of medicine and supplement regimens, even though you have to be dillegent in food intake, and have it work better. Simplify..

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 07 September 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Trout
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently sent article from newest researchs, had 1 on lyme.

They said the more of the anti-yeast meds. End up causing more yeast. Need to see if still have.

Your body compensates after too much & produces more yeast. They mentioned natural stuff. Also friend with constant yeast was put on a herbal med. First time in yrs. 3 days was gone. I never heard of it so would have to ask again. Have been brain dead with all the hurricanes & fam. Plus been quite ill, not on net much. My energy what I have goe`s to plain ole survival, day to day.

If interested will look it up.

This also goe`s for antiacids. More you take more acid you produce, body compensates also for digestion you need them that you are trying to supress. I was on for long time had to get off. Noticed the increase after while, terrible reflux....Only use if extremely bad, just for few days. Then continue with ginger in oatmeal.

Use probiotics for digestion when can afford. Really doe`s work. They have acidophilis to help aid digest. & bowel protection.

Good Luck, Been there too many times...

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mo,

For everyone: Here's a colossal website about coconut oil & more by the cold cure guy, George Eby.

Go to left index - the 20th line down in brown ink & click on "Coconut Oil - Good for everything."

http://www.coldcure.com/html/dep.html

If I can get my energy up, I'm trying to get to a health food store today for coconut oil------1st Tuesdays of the month are 20% off.

Kerryblue,
So relieved you're o.k. after the hurricane.
Lame words when you consider everything ya'll are going through.

Our hearts go out to all Floridians.

Is there anything we can do for you?

Sorry you are feeling rough on top of everything else.

Let us know how you are when you feel up to it.
Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Mo,

Very interesting site you posted about Coconut Oil. I'm so impressed with this oil.

I was always afraid of it due to the heart aspect of ingesting coconut and palm oils, but this is a whole new side of coconut oil I didn't know about.

I will be glad to be off meds for candida and on to something, first of all that works, and also that is a natural product.

Can you substitute garlanise 4000 for the raw garlic. I tried to take raw garlic, but is so much easier with just a pill. Tummy wise, raw garlic is way too much for me.

What is mt live blood?

Sounds like coconut oil works faster than Diflucan or anything else.

Did you buy yours at the site you posted. I think I will get mine there because I've never seen it on the shelves anywhere else. Cold pressed and virgin...got it!

Thanks so much. you're right, it is a relief to get help from something other than drugs. And, I take a truckload of supplements as it is.

This will be a healthy change.

Kerryblue,

I'm so sorry you are feeling so sick, plus all the hurricane problems that you are experiencing at this time. That's too much at one time. I hope you and your family are doing okay during this horrible weather FL is having right now.

I hope and pray that you will get better soon. I appreciate your input with these yeast issues. Thank you.

You know, it does make sense that antiyeast meds could cause more problems long-term. I had heard that about antacids, come to think of it.

I will look that up and hopefully can find a site on the net as that will be interesting to read.

Jan,

So far, I've only read the part about Coconut Oil from the cold cure guy site, but I will print out the whole thing, as he has a lot to say...interesting stuff.

Again, I am impressed with the coconut idea and will be getting some.

It's great to have a board like Lymenet where we can exchange ideas and get such excellent help from others.

Thanks so much. And thanks for posting the cold cure guy site.

lifeline

bpeck
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo:

I had to ressurrect this thread, as I have been using the Coconut oil also for the last month or so, and am hoping this takes care
of the last remaining problems with Candida.
I really like this stuff.

(I was thinking about taking diflucan - but if this works then all the better).

I was wondering if you had your blood checked lately for Candida, and if you know for sure the oil helped?

Thanks
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD just prescribed diflucan, 100 mg. ONE pill EVERY OTHER DAY.

I'm still on pulsing doxy 200 mg/day for 3 days, 2 days off; then starting biaxin 1000 day for 3 days; 2 days off; then start doxy again.

Plus I'm on benicar 40 mg/day.
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Yes, Miss Barb, as best I can tell I know for sure it has been a big part of ridding myself of a very bad case of systemic Candida (two species found in large amounts by quantitative PCR)..albicans and
papo-something..

I have to stress that I used Coconut and garlic (fresh) medicinally for four months, and have continued with maintainance for four more..

But the visible signs were there just about eight weeks in or less (specifically, no more red eye, my tounge went pink and clear, and no more chicken skin, and no more build up of discoloration along my gumline)..

Other symptoms that overlap with Lyme symptoms improved as well, but harder to attribute that specifically to CoConut oil for absolute sure.

By medicinally, I mean I took a tblsp. every two-three hours while awake, and minced fresh garlic (to get the benefits of the allicin release without having to chew it)..so minced it and chugged it down with some juice.

I am sure as I can be by symptoms, by the fact I again drink a little OJ each day for nutrients, and have red wine for sleep ..(had to get off Ambien)..and do have a little grain, but stay away from most other sugar, but do eat fruit again..and the Candida has not come back.
I could not injest these things before, made me feel sicker.

I did do bloods three months in...no trace found..and again aix months in..nothing..

..and I will probably run them again soon. I can let you know.

Granted, I started all this when I went off IV, but was still on orals for the first couple of months.

So reduction/elimination of abx certainly helped, but I know when Candida has gone as bad as it did for me, and is systemic..just getting off abx does not take care of it.
Three months of high dose Diflucan did not get rid of it, and may have given me a more resistant form..IMO.

I love this stuff and will never stop taking it.

My son has also been taking it, but will not get bloods till next month..he had a high antibody reading for a long time.

This is also very good for Thyroid, and lots of other things, and a very good "immune food"..his thyroid numbers have been returning to normal, but I can't be sure this is it as he is doing other things, but I did note it and that it is said to help Thyroid.

Article (has a sort of querky style, but the site on cold cure (link in above post) has this article with links to supportive info, this is an interesting read):

Coconut Oil: Cure For Everything?
Another natural anti-yeast treatment is plain old ordinary coconut oil. This natural substance has been known for many centuries to prevent yeast infections in women in Pacific islands. Finally, the oils in coconut oil have been tested against Candida yeast. Both capric and lauric acid found in coconut oil in very large amounts, were totally, absolutely, completely lethal to Candida yeast. Bergsson and Thormar writing in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy wrote: "The susceptibility of Candida albicans to several fatty acids and their 1-monoglycerides was tested with a short inactivation time, and ultra-thin sections were studied by transmission electron microscopy after treatment with capric acid (found in coconut oil). The results show that capric acid, a 10-carbon saturated fatty acid, causes the fastest and most effective killing of all three strains of C. albicans tested, leaving the cytoplasm disorganized and shrunken because of a disrupted or disintegrated plasma membrane. Lauric acid (also found in coconut oil), a 12-carbon saturated fatty acid, was the most active at lower concentrations and after a longer incubation time. Read the full article here and the 1.03 mb PDF version here. It is interesting that people who eat a lot of coconuts live in areas where yeast and fungi are extremely plentiful, yet they are rarely troubled by infections. Only in more temperate climates where processed vegetable oils are the main source of dietary fat are yeast infections, skin fungus, acne, and other skin infections big problems. Much more research needs to be done on the effectiveness of coconut oil in curing Candida, but for now the evidence suggests a good quality Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the best weapons in killing Candida. Much information is on the internet concerning the use of coconut oil to treat yeast infections. It is also an excellent topical anti-yeast agent for treating vaginal yeast infections. Read why coconut oil is one of the most health promoting foods on Earth here. Bruce Fife reporting in his book: "The overall health of both groups of Pacific Islanders was extremely good compared to Western standards. There were no signs of kidney disease or hypothyroidism that might influence fat levels. There was no hypercholesterolemia (high blood cholesterol). All inhabitants were lean and healthy despite a very high saturated-fat diet from coconut oil. In fact, the populations as a whole had ideal weight-to-height ratios as compared to the Body Mass Index figures used by nutritionists. Digestive problems are rare. Constipation is uncommon. They average two or more bowel movements a day. Atherosclerosis, heart disease, colitis, colon cancer, hemorrhoids, ulcers, diverticulosis, and appendicitis are conditions with which they are generally unfamiliar." Enough said? Try 3 to 4 tablespoons per day. It will not make you fat, and best of all it is non-toxic, very much unlike many prescription antifungals. But, start out with a low dose until you find out what your side effects from the break down of yeast affects you. You may say, "Yuck, coconut oil is a saturated fat!" Yes, but it is one very healthy food, and this is another highly important food that we have been conned into believing is bad for us by the American Soybean Association, Center for Science in the Public Interest and others interested in promoting their own products without regard for our health (a trade war). Search for more information about this issue here. Read how coconut oil is the healthiest oil on Earth.

Is coconut oil the cure for many heart problems? YES! Why? Well, the biochemistry is interesting and fairly simple. Candida yeast breakdown products include acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde, (also a break down product of alcohol, and is found in ripe fruit, cigarette smoke and coffee) has been found to concentrate in the heart where it adversely affects heart cells, and has significant effects on cardiac contractility and function. Acetaldehyde can cause fibrosis and enlargement of individual heart cells. Also, Candidiasis (yeast overgrowth in the colon and mucous membranes) is well known to cause magnesium malabsorption, thus causing depression, heart trouble and colon cancer. Put these observations together, and presto, coconut oil looks like it is a cure for depression, cardiac arrhythmias, myocarditis, endocarditis and lone atrial fibrillations (LAF). I suspect all the other problems mentioned above not found in the Pacific Islanders are also largely preventable by daily use of coconut oil and not drinking alcohol, coffee, smoking, or eating ripe fruit. How many psychiatrists and cardiologists want you to know this? I suspect there are a few. However, as I previously mentioned, a low to zero carbohydrate diet is also required and the combination does produce temporary side effects. Systemic yeast die-off is so intense by orally taking a tablespoon of coconut oil morning and night, that most people have adverse reactions (Herxheimer effect) to the die-off products, worsening symptoms for a few days to a week. I liken this paradox being stranded in a boat seeing land, but finding one first must pass through the dangerous breakers, just off the coast. See what Dr. Mercola has to say about the fungal etiology of inflammatory bowel disease here. Clearly, anything that causes bowel problems will impair magnesium absorption.

Do you have a yeast infection? Do you have: athlete's foot? jock itch, thrush, recurrent cystitis or other vaginal infections, endometriosis, fungal infections of the nails or skin, problems from exposure to chemical fumes, perfumes, tobacco smoke etc., food allergies, abdominal bloating, diarrhoea or constipation, pre-menstrual syndrome. depression, fatigue, lethargy, poor memory, food cravings, muscular aches, tingling, numbness, burning, unaccountable aches, swelling in joints, erratic vision, spots before the eyes, floaters?, tachycardia, impotence or lack of sexual desire, symptoms usually worse on damp days, persistent drowsiness / tired all the time, lack of co-ordination, headaches / migraines, Mood swings, loss of balance, rashes, mucus in stools, belching and /or flatulence, bad breath, dry mouth or throat, nasal itch and/or congestion, nervous irritability, prostatitis, tightness in chest, ear sensitivity or fluid in ears, heartburn and indigestion, cardiac arrhythmias, HIV/AIDS. I ask again, do you have a yeast problem? I have read that over eighty percent of us do, primarily because we have taken antibiotics and consume a high carbohydrate and sugar diet. Find out using this questionnaire from the Yeast Connection site. Learn more about the benefits of coconut oil and why it is good for you here.

Is it possible that the majority of diseases that we think of as being magnesium deficiency diseases are really manifestations of Candida suprainfections? If yes, could antifungals be the preventative or cure for a very large number of divergent chronic diseases? I think so. Walter Last also seems to think so in his new on-line book, 66 Natural Ways to Cure Diseases. See his section on Candida yeast as the cause of many widely different diseases and conditions including lack of energy, digestive disturbances, arthritic joint pains, skin diseases, menstrual problems, emotional instability, cancer and depression, including suicidal depression. Killing the Candida yeast is not enough, one must also replace the intestinal microflora as discussed here. I think that principal biological pathways in which Candida causes many diseases is through impaired magnesium metabolism and by diets that promote Candida yeast overgrowth. More on the fungusamongus problem at the FungusFocus web site. Look at the prostatitis page and you will notice that fungus-induced illness (prostatitis) has many symptoms identical to magnesium deficiency. In fact, the symptoms of Candida yeast overgrowth are essentially the same as magnesium deficiency. Candida allergy strongly depresses the body's ability to absorb magnesium, probably by inducing a leaky gut. Dr. Leo Galland observed this in 1985, although his emphasis was on latent tetany with normal serum calcium (low intracellular magnesium).

On the other hand, go to your physician and ask him if you have a Candida infection and unless you have a mushroom growing out of your nose, he/she is very likely to tell you that yeast infections nearly always occur in immunosuppressant people, and they do not occur in you. Ask him if you might be magnesium deficient, and he will likely tell you that no one is magnesium deficient except for drunks. Why the adverse opinions? Well, if your doctor prescribed magnesium or coconut oil every time you visited, why go? I think that it makes vastly more financial sense to dissuade us from looking for root causes of illnesses than to treat simple underlying problems with natural products. Does the idea that "Candida infection" is bogus have support on the Internet? Yes, some. There are a few sites that proclaim "Candidiasis hypersensitivity" to be bogus, but the main antagonist seems to be the QuackWatch site. The QuackWatch site is pretty clear that systemic yeast infection is bogus. Is it? I don't know, but if you find benefit from large doses of coconut oil in treating the bewildering variety of Candida-related illnesses, I imagine that you will suspect that the QuackWatch guy, Stephen Barrett, M.D., needs watching! I do know this much. Five years ago, I complained of a severe yeast infection, and after seeing many physicians, and after being treated with many antifungals and antibiotics in the intervening years, I continued to have the problem until I used coconut oil. Steven Barrett is entitled to his opinion, but this is free country and we can disagree in good faith. Who is Steven Barrett? He is reported to be a non-practicing psychiatrist in Allentown, Pennsylvania, working out of his basement, who is laughed at in this page. Why wouldn't he be practicing? Did he get busted by the state, like my previous psychiatrist (who is now taking magnesium) for self-prescribing psychiatric drugs?

What does George think about the disease causing potential of Candida yeast? I think Barrett is correct. Candida can not reach all these places to cause these other diseases, but its breakdown product, acetaldehyde, can and does. Acetaldehyde is an irritant, a toxin, a reproductive toxin, a mutagen and a carcinogen. It is a dangerous industrial chemical. It is also flammable, and five times more dangerous than the well known embalming fluid formaldehyde, of which it is a chemical relative. How do people detoxify this harmful chemical? Molybdenum is said to be vital in detoxifying acetaldehyde. In The Candida/Aldehyde detox pathway and the Molybdenum Connection, about 300 micrograms of the dietary supplement molybdenum, along with the B-vitamin pantethine (the active part of pantothenic acid), taken three times a day has been recommended to help people detoxify this truly harmful chemical. Alternatively, molybdenum is found in foods, with potatoes having about 600 micrograms per 100 grams. If potatoes are no longer eaten due to their high glycemic index, one might need a supplemental source for this vital nutrient. On the other hand, the Linus Pauling Institute reports that no healthy person has ever been reported to be deficient of this nutrient, although excesses are toxic .

How about HIV/AIDS? Candida yeast is found in nearly all of these patients. Would coconut oil and garlic help treat HIV/AIDS? Dr Mercola thinks so because these oils are also antiviral to a number of viruses including HIV, measles, herpes simplex (HSV-1), vesicular stomatitis virus, visna virus and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Dr. Mercola points out that lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid-coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, and various pathogenic bacteria, including listeria monocytogenes and helicobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies are being conducted to see if lowering the yeast load in HIV can prevent the disease from becoming AIDS, with some success. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid. Do you feel like we have been deprived of the truth for long enough? Do you think implementation of Codex will prohibit the sale of coconut oil too? Seems like it should if the main purpose of Codex is to protect pharmaceutical company income.

Want to know what that white stuff in your mouth is? Could it be candida? Dentists often find candida yeast infections in peoples' mouths. Here is a slide show about oral candida, which is likely to present more than you want to know. When your dentist chides you about not taking care of your gums by brushing better, he should be recommending antifungal treatments.

Garlic: The Cure for Everything Else!
The medical literature shows that garlic has important anticancer, antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects. I am experimenting in the spring and summer of 2004 with a heaping teaspoon of bottled, commercially prepared minced or ground garlic 4 times a day to add a second potent antifungal agent to my program to kill intestinal Candida yeast and other nasty critters in my intestinal tract. Fresh garlic extract has a greater efficacy than garlic powder extract. The antifungal effect of garlic lasts about one hour in the blood, but does not appear in urine. No physician is willing to tell me that I have a Candida yeast infection in my intestines, even though every time they prescribe an antifungal, I clearly feel better. You want to make a physician laugh? Tell him that garlic makes you feel better! They tend to hold their nose and giggle like crazy! So what! So far, garlic is helping quite a bit. It rapidly allowed me to reduce my magnesium intake by 75%, with no evidence of recurrence of any magnesium deficiency symptom. Currently, I only require 250 mg of magnesium supplements per day. My solid, 100 percent, totally convinced, no-questions-asked gut-feeling is that garlic in these large amounts contributed more to my feeling of true health and well being than anything else that I have ever tried outside of magnesium taurate. Why? Because it really does the things claimed for it in terms of cleaning out the intestinal tract, improving digestion and allowing nutrients, and especially magnesium, to be properly absorbed.

I thank my easily irritated friend Denise from Glendale, Arizona for her persistence on garlic. Even if she did get irritated at me for not wanting to try garlic, I thank her repeatedly and with great humility. Denise fussed at me relentlessly to get me to try garlic. I had never before in my life eaten garlic, except as an accidental ingredient in some restaurant foods. Have garlic in the house? You gotta be nuts! Not us! Bad breath! Think about the consequences of having bad breath from eating garlic and compare the outcome with the absence of health from having an ineffective, fungally-infected digestive tract. The need-more-taurine-for-digestion issue pales in comparison to the need for garlic. There should be an RDA for garlic. If I had to set one it would be 12 to 16 cloves per day as commercially prepared minced or ground garlic, but then again some people react to garlic poorly. In fact, when I tried to eat a clove of fresh raw garlic (fresh enough that it could have grown a new garlic plant if I had planted it in soil), I was met with the most amazing mouth pain. Fresh, raw garlic will cause mouth pain akin to eating a very hot chili pepper. Eating fresh or raw garlic is fine only if it is minced and added to food. I could not chew on a fresh garlic clove like one could chew on a fresh onion or a fresh carrot, but could if I minced the same clove and immediately added it to food. In the later case, I could not taste garlic at all. Eating fresh garlic hurts! What about odor-free garlic? No. As far as I can tell most (if not all) commercial processes damage the ability of garlic to provide us with the effects we need. All those widely advertised brands, Kwai, Kyolic, Garlinase, Garlique, and others, simply don't provide much benefit. This is because garlic pills are missing the key ingredient (allicin) only found in fresh-crushed garlic cloves. It is possible to extract allicin, but such products have not yet been commercialized. Regardless, garlic is the subject of extensive research. It is allicin that kills germs (bacteria - including anthrax -, viruses, fungi, amoeba). Allicin is the primary anti-cancer agent in garlic. Allicin also lowers blood pressure, control blood sugar levels, even controls weight gain. Each of these physiologic benefits probably occurs by improving magnesium absorption. A fresh crushed clove of garlic will provide from 4-12 milligrams of allicin. Unfortunately, allicin is also the odorant in garlic. I used really large amounts of bottled, minced and crushed garlic to get beneficial effects (probably without any allicin due to manufacturing and aging - which leaves open the exact cause of garlic's benefit), but much less fresh raw garlic is needed to get the same effect. Now that I have been taking garlic for a little over a month, my wife does not fuss at me for bad breath, but she won't follow behind me, because I have this little garlic cloud that follows me.

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 23 February 2005).]

bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mo!
Yes, I have the Tropical Traditions virgin
Coconut oil.

I smear it on toast with fresh ground peanut
butter and another dash of salt, and drink 6 oz of V8 with it... Man It's a meal. I love it.

So glad to hear it straightened out your Candida..

Thanks or the info.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barb that sounds like a delicious meal!
Mo, thanx. I am going to try it. I already use the virgin coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer so I have it here. Eight a day plus ground garlic, okay, what the heck. If it kills candida that would be great. I also have the diflucan, out of curiosity becausee of the German study so maybe I'll do both.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement