LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pain in Underarm Area - Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain in Underarm Area - Anyone?
lymeinboston
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3173

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymeinboston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All,
I have had this nagging pain in my left underarm area. I keep thinking it is my lymph nodes but there is no enlargement that I can feel - if I am feeling correctly. The pain comes and goes but is driving me nuts. Anyone else have these muscular type pains that don't seem to go away?
Ed

Posts: 139 | From Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathK
Member # 4383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KathK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ed,

Yes I get this too (comes and goes). Like my lymph nodes are clogged or something. Not swollen either. Also I get the same feeling on the back of my legs (at the knees but the back) weird.

Kath

Posts: 28 | From Delta, PA, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jewlbug
Member # 4554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jewlbug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ed,

This was absolutely one of my worst symptoms at the onset of the disease before diagnosis and treatment. It started under one arm and then eventually both underarm areas severely ached.

The pain became so bad that even just moving my arms made me wince. It was difficult for me to do anything...put on a belt, reach for a glass out of the cabinet, do laundry, etc.

I was scared the pain was from my lymph nodes too, but I never had any swelling either. I had very similar pain in the muscles behind my knees too.

Anyway, I still get pangs of the pain on occassion, but the severity has definitely diminshed. I guess it's just one of those weird Lyme things.

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on how to treat the actual pain...kind of a weird place to put ice or heat. I think I just sat around for months, praying that it would go away. Perhaps someone else will have some pain relief ideas?

Hope you feel better soon!
Jewl

Posts: 79 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jewlbug
Member # 4554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jewlbug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ed,

This was absolutely one of my worst symptoms at the onset of the disease before diagnosis and treatment. It started under one arm and then eventually both underarm areas severely ached.

The pain became so bad that even just moving my arms made me wince. It was difficult for me to do anything...put on a belt, reach for a glass out of the cabinet, do laundry, etc.

I was scared the pain was from my lymph nodes too, but I never had any swelling either. I had very similar pain in the muscles behind my knees too.

Anyway, I still get pangs of the pain on occassion, but the severity has definitely diminshed. I guess it's just one of those weird Lyme things.

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas on how to treat the actual pain...kind of a weird place to put ice or heat. I think I just sat around for months, praying that it would go away. Perhaps someone else will have some pain relief ideas?

Hope you feel better soon!
Jewl

Posts: 79 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed,

All kinds of muscular pain is possible with Lyme. Does the muscle under your arm feel really tight? If so, you may want to try to release the tension. I got a hand held massager that helps in that area.

If the muscle isn't tense, then it is possibly referred pain from another area. But I usually find it is the muscle in that area that gets tense and refers pain to my chest area.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In visits with a consult Doc reccomended by my LLMD who specailizes in Bartonella and Mycoplasma, I was told the underarm pain (as well as pain in lymph nodes under jaw when pressed on) was likely from Bartonella in my case.

Perhaps you should look inot that possibility? Have you been diagnosed with Bartonella?

That one, as well as the other tick-borne infections, can be hard to confirm through serology, repeated PCR's found it in me and my son.

I know other patients who consistantly tested negative in blood, only to "catch" it later in spinal fluid (just to give an idea of how illusive it can be.)

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ive looking for you,not to change the subject but how did things go with the urologist
Posts: 225 | From mass. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinboston
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinboston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,
I go on the 12th of october. they are so rediculously backed up. i guess they did not think it was that critical. i will let you know how it goes...
thanks for the concern
Ed

Posts: 139 | From Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point or another, over the last 3 years, every single joint and every single muscle in my body hurt.

I had symptoms that are impossible. For example, horrific pain on the inside lining of everyone of my teeth.

I've never even had a cavity in my life, so I knew it was impossible. My sternum would kill me; etc.

It comes and it eventually goes. Hang in there...I'm 99% better after two years on treatment.

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that symptoms for about 1 year a few years ago. My PCP never could figure out what was causing it.

No swelling, just an uncomfortable feeling in the armpits.

I have not tested positive for
Bartonella (yet), just LD and myco.

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same pains, and I couldnt really find the swollen nodes- they're pretty hard to find. I was actually having in the armpit and going down the inside (next to the bicep) thats how I know if Im going to get a flare-up, I move my arm and the pit feels "tight" Then I know Im in for some fun for later.
Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 6 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy,I have that problem from eating bananas.I keep scratching under my arms,untill they get raw. MADDOG
Posts: 4010 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeinboston:

Although I didn't notice lump or discomfort my oncologist found a small bump under my left armpit. The surgeon found a plum sized lymph node, which biopsied consistent with stage I Hodgkins' disease.

Lymphomas and Lyme have similar symptoms.

IMHO Lymites would do well to have an oncologist check for enlarged lymph nodes.

Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement