LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Probiotics Ineffective in Preventing Vaginal Yeast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probiotics Ineffective in Preventing Vaginal Yeast
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral and Vaginal Lactobacillus Ineffective in Preventing Postantibiotic Vulvovaginal Candidiasis

Yael Waknine
Medscape Medical News 2004. � 2004 Medscape

Aug. 30, 2004 -- Oral and vaginal probiotic treatments containing primarily
Lactobacillus rhamnosus are ineffective in preventing postantibiotic vulvovaginal candidiasis, according to the results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study reported in the Aug. 27 Online First issue of the British Medical Journal.

Probiotics are commonly used and recommended for vulvovaginitis that develops after antibiotic treatment -- a condition of concern to many women and usually caused by Candida albicans," writes Marie Pirotta, MD, from the University of Melbourne in Australia, and colleagues.

"Our previous study found that 40% of a sample of 751 women with a hist[ory of vulvovaginitis had used yoghurt or
lactobacillus orally or vaginally to prevent post-antibiotic vulvovaginitis."

To explore the effectiveness of this treatment, the investigators recruited
278 nonpregnant women aged 18 to 50 years requiring a short course of oral
antibiotics for a nongynecological infection within 48 hours of enrollment.

The women were randomized to receive one of four treatments during the
antibiotic course (six days) and for four days afterward:
oral and vaginal lactobacillus (n = 67),
oral lactobacillus and vaginal placebo (n = 73),
oral placebo
and vaginal lactobacillus (n = 70),
and oral and vaginal placebo (n = 68).

Surveys and vaginal swabs were take at baseline and at follow-up 14 days after enrollment or onset of vulvovaginitis symptoms. The primary outcome measure
was symptomatic vulvovaginal candidiasis, defined as symptoms (vaginal itching with or without discharge) confirmed by isolation of Candida from the follow-up swab. Compliance with the treatments was high among 234 patients who provided complete data.

Postantibiotic vulvovaginitis developed in 23% of patients (95% confidence
interval [CI], 18% - 29%). Compared with placebo, the odds ratio for developing
vulvovaginitis while taking oral lactobacillus was 1.06 (95% CI, 0.58 - 1.94),
and 1.38 (95% CI, 0.75 - 2.54) while taking vaginal lactobacillus.

According to these results, the chances of a significant reduction in vulvovaginitis with oral or vaginal lactobacillus were poor (0.032 and 0.0006, respectively), and the trial was ended prematurely. "It was considered unethical to continue recruitment to a trial with no potential benefit," the authors note.

"The use of lactobacillus in post-antibiotic vulvovaginitis is an example of a treatment that has widespread use despite lack of a biologically plausible basis or evidence of effectiveness," the authors write.

"Our results should prompt health professionals to inform women that lactobacillus is unlikely to prevent post-antibiotic vulvovaginitis and that they should consider using proved antifungal treatment if symptoms develop."

The study was funded by a Quality Use of Medicine Scholarship from the Australian Commonwealth Department of Health and Aging, the Shepherd Foundation, the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Nutrition Care, Institut Rosell, Health Care Network, and Sean Howard.

One investigator received active treatments, placebos, and research funding
from Nutrition Care and Institut Roell.

BMJ. Published online Aug. 27, 2004.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
over the counter vaginal yeast products ie monistat or similar is much better at treating active yeast infections.
topical gels,cremes rinses all work better than systemic pills in treating active yeast infections. the topical kills on contact as opposed to the pills that swim in your blood stream and go everywhere

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, even though I posted this, that oral and vaginal probiotics have worked very well for me, but I seem to be highly reistant to Candida.

I agree with Doc Dave, I would try the topical route first, unless it was clear the candida was in the GI tract, or other locations as well as vaginal.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm inferring from the study that they used only probiotics, and no other drugs. I wonder if the result would be different if they used an anti-fungal drive (topical or oral) along with probiotics.

I have always been under the impression that if you have an active infection, you need a strong medicine (or supplement) that kills the yeast. You take the probiotics to replenish and that can prevent the yeast from returning.

Personally, for vaginal infections, I have found Diflucan works best. The reason it doesn't seem to work right away is because of the herx symptoms.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing said here about diet and avoiding sugar/carbs.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement