LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin LA Dose?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin LA Dose?
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I went to a new Dr. this week that was suposed to be up on lyme,I was seeing Dr.C in mosouri but its just to far for me to travel now.The new guy was very lyme e-literate!But I was able to have him perscribe Bicillan LA,he wrote it for 1,200,000 every two weeks but wonder if I should take a bigger dose every week? I could really use the advice for it looks like Im going to have to treat myself for awile. Thanks,Terri
Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my readings, this would be inadequate as the minimum dose for adults seems to be 1.2 MU weekly, to start. I've worked up to 1.2 MU three times a week as have many here.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickoflyme
Member # 5461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickoflyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kissis:
Well I went to a new Dr. this week that was suposed to be up on lyme,I was seeing Dr.C in mosouri but its just to far for me to travel now.The new guy was very lyme e-literate!But I was able to have him perscribe Bicillan LA,he wrote it for 1,200,000 every two weeks but wonder if I should take a bigger dose every week? I could really use the advice for it looks like Im going to have to treat myself for awile. Thanks,Terri

Terri, I just finished 8 weeks of Bicillin , 2.5 million ccs in two shots once a week. I am in Michigan and had local family doc confer w/Dr.C in MO. I know we killed off massive amounts of Lyme, In fact, I never knew I was this sick until I had shots. Never could go very far on all different abxm too many herxes and too much time spent clearing up toxins led me to finally ask for faster, harder treatment after 4 years, 2 with DR.C.
I had the worst herxes for the first 4 weeks, managed to keep working, many time with heard down on desk. Had 2 ER visits, nothingwrong, third time they agreed that it must be Lyne dying olff. Finally, 5&6 week I had little herxes and some good days. Week 7 was even better, just had shots #8 yesterday. Still have fatigue, could be from bad fall last week and pain in kneew that were hurt keeping me up all night. Called DR. C for abx th take orally while we travel to Az in motor home over next month and will see him OCt.18th. That way I hopr to keep them bugs dead!!!! He is allowing me to try Ketek, very expensive, 80.00 for two weeks supply, but I will not give up fight against this disease. I have ordered them to evacuate my bod and go away, I want my life with out Lyme back! By the way, you can do phone con ferences w/Dr. C & or get a local doc who isn't an egotist to work with him. Don't give up, Perhaps, call Dr.C and go back to him via phone. My philosophy is , how much is my life worth? A long trip? money?. How badly do you want to get well. I see hjim on our way to and from Michigan & Arizona and do phone calls and work with local docs or maybe find a nurse practioner like I have in Arizona?? Keep fightimg, if you quit, THEY win! Kill dem bugs!!! Jane

Posts: 17 | From out west & up north | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is a super tiny dose.
The typical dose is 1.2 2-3 times per week, not once every 2 weeks. By then the drug would be out of your system. If I were you I would go to a LLMD, this doc seems to know nothing unless you are on other meds with it, even then it should be atleast once weekly. I took two 1.2 MU Bicillin shots (one in each butt cheek) Twice weekly.
i did all my own shots and Bicillin works great. Check to make sure the prescription was written correctly, and make sure you get them cold, and keep them in the fridge or the medicine is useless. Are you only on Bicillin? if so, and at that tiny dose its like no treatment at all.

make sur eyou are prescribed a blue Tubex along with your first Bicillin so you can do your own shots.

Good luck.

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 1.2 2x/week = 2.4 per week. I take them both at the same time for convenience. My Dr. gave me the option to spread them out. I think he said the drug takes 5 days to be fully absorbed. I asked for a lower dose to start because I am a small person. He said, "Nope, it's 2.4 min. per week or orals". Yeesh! I didn't argue - just jumped right in.

Maybe your LLMD feels he can start you off slowly so you can get used to the drug. I just don't know and wasn't pffered that option. Ask him/her.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he upping the dose gradually? Mine started me on one a week for two weeks and then went to two a week. She wanted to lessen the chance of a big herx.
Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Terri, I agree with WildCondor, Make sure you keep the meds. cold.

I was to afraid to give them to myself, so the doc gave them to me.

I started on 1.2MU once a week, with oral zithromax. The plan was to up the Bicillin to twice a week and so on....

I had a major reaction after a few weeks, terrible itching. It was terrible. So now I'm on IV DOXY....much better, no itching.

You should try and go to an llmd IMO....

good luck

Jamie

------------------
oh I just want to say that 1,200,000 units is 2ml every other week is not nearly enough.IMO

[This message has been edited by guiney (edited 17 September 2004).]

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for every one giving me there two cents,I'll have to agree with wild condor I thought it was a small amount.It was obvious this guy didnt have a clue.But right now I just cant aford to travel to missori and its been a year since DR.C has seen me and recently sent me a letter stating he can not continu to treat me unless I make a yearly visit.

My husband left me a few monthes ago and I'm raising two kids and trying to cope on my own,I wish I could just concentrate on my health but evrything right now just seems so overwelming.If buy chance anyone is close to Ohio and is going to see Dr. C soon maybe I can share a ride?

Or do you think I can adjust the dose myself? he gave me 5 refills of 1,200,000 .Do you think ill have just that amount each time or all at once to put in more.I have no adversions of giving myself shots .I used to give myself shots daily with all the M.S. abc drugs that only made me feel worse.Since treating for lyme I'm finally starting to feel better and starting to see slow improvment,so I cant stop now.Just not sure how I'll continu on .
Terri

Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement