LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 3rd Stage Lyme Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3rd Stage Lyme Question
eronvica
Member # 6342

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eronvica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Can Lyme still be diagnosed after 10 years? Can it lie dormant for so long? I had the Lyme rash 10 years ago was treated for it with antibiotics (at that time I thought successfully) and now I'm having symptoms again.

Thanks for all your help!

Posts: 11 | From Morristown New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, my lyme, bartonella adn babesia was dormant for 11 years with no symtoms until I had elective surgery in 2001 adn then all my symtoms came out inthe form of neuro lyme..really bad! they say when the immune system is fighting something like surgery it can no longer fight off the lyme etc..adn the spirochetes win and come out again..

this explains why when we're very stressed or have a crisis of some kind to our body our symtoms get worse..also anesthesia also is a stress on our body which brings out the lyme even stronger

so the answer is yes..it can be dormant for many many years and then come out...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eronvica
Member # 6342

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eronvica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you test positive for it 11 years later? How was it established that you had it again?

Posts: 11 | From Morristown New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I didn't try to test because I thought it was gone..then I had surgery adn all my sysmptoms resurfaced adn more neuro than ever....

but it was 11 years later...my immune system had kept it in check that long..i had noticed when i was especially tired etc..I'd notice some small symptoms , but not full blown like after the surgery...but I never tested positve, even after the surgery..my immune system was too tired of fighting it,a dn too used to the bacteria to even recognize it any more...

dr. diagnosed my symptoms which is what any good lllmd will do...find a good one and he'll do that and then treat you for it. you dont' need a positive test to be treated anymore

Lsia

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that the bacteria lies dormant until a stress of some sort comes along.

A car accident, death in the family, surgery, etc.

Then it returns and must be treated again.

This happened to a friend of mine. Her mother-in-law had a stroke and had to move in with them for a few months. YIKES! It returned after being gone for almost two years.

I'm sorry to hear yours returned; but the good news is that you know how to treat it and you know you can get back to your life once again.

--Nancy

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 10 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure that, when I started having symptoms, I must have had LD for many years, probably more than ten years.

I had a severe head trauma from a bad fall on concrete...it was after that that my LD symptoms started occuring.

Also, your treatment (tx) for Lyme years ago you may not have been given enough antibiotics (abx) for a long enough duration.

You own immune system can be working against this bacteria for years without you knowing it.

Have you been given the following essential links? Tincup's Links for new LymeNet members

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

You'll definitely want to bookmark the above link.

If you'd like to search through posts on any subject pertaining to LD, then this post will walk you through how to do just that. Dang's Hot to use the LymeNet Search

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

Welcome to LymeNet the best support for Tick Borne Illnesses on the Net.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eron, yes, it is true.

I can count back at least ten years + when my symptoms started to show.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it can be dormant.

I had symptoms about 15 years ago and we never put two and two together to figure out i had lyme.

The symptoms went away until i had surgery 1.5 years ago. I have been sick ever since.

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynnic86
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnic86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can definitly be dormant.
For me it was my two preg. that brought out the worst of the symptoms and the neuro symptoms came out with my last preg. over 5 yrs ago and with anti I am better but will never be completly ok again.

Posts: 215 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about it being dormant, but I probably had undiagnosed lyme for about 35+ years.

Been dealing with symptoms most of my life.

I had 3 major surgeries wthin 9 months time and my symptoms got a lot worse.

My duck didn't have any answers for me until I developed Bell's Palsy.

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eronvica:
Hi all,
Can Lyme still be diagnosed after 10 years? Can it lie dormant for so long? I had the Lyme rash 10 years ago was treated for it with antibiotics (at that time I thought successfully) and now I'm having symptoms again.

Thanks for all your help!

You need to see an LLMD. Did you post under "finding a Doctor"? Also, know that you are not alone here!

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eronvica
Member # 6342

Icon 7 posted      Profile for eronvica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you get a positive lab result ten years later?

I've been trying to find a "Lyme" doc near me, but so far no one I have written to has been able to provide me with any information. I am truly disappointed. I have already e-mail about 10 people. I live in Hamburg Germany right now, but I would be willing to travel home (Morrsitown New Jersey or NYC) to get treatment. Could someone supple me with some information either near me or in the States.
Thanks again! especially for all your very informative replies. Blessings.......

rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 3 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sending you back to the first page where maybe someone will see it and reply to your last question.

But, if travel is no problem...here's one of the more popular LLMDs...he's in Springfield, MO and they have an airport there.
www.drcharlescrist.com

I hope you find success in finding the right doctor for you.

Also, Dr. C, above, is one of the LLMDs that doesn't think it is necessary to see you each and every month or two. My daughter and her two daughters saw him for the first time on August 30th and they weren't required to return to see him until January, 2005.

So, keep that in mind when choosing an LLMD...some do require seeing them more often than others. He will also do phone appointment between visits if necessary. And, he will work hand-in-hand with your PCP. He understands that most of his patients come from all over, even from Europe. So, he will definitely work with you.

Here's what others have said about him:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004140.html

Let us know how it goes, ok?

Again,

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME To LYMENET

Here's more goodys! A typical response to newcomers.

Hi and WELCOME! Get a LLMD or at least Dr that is willing to learn about lyme. Borrelia Burgdorferi is a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms and on your response to treatment. Good Luck, bumpy road ahead.

Post for a LLMD in Seeking a Doctor. Ps remember I am not a Dr, just a fellow sufferer.

How to Search Courtesy of Danq
LymeNet Links for New Members
Newbie's Lingo

Lyme Disease Audio Network
Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines
CDC Website on Lyme Disease
International Lyme and Associated Disease Society

Lyme Disease Symptoms
Rashes
Co-IinfectionsThanx M

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers
Making the Most of Your LLMD Visit
Camp A and Camp B, The Lyme Disease Contoversy
2nd Version Camp A Camp B

Why You Can't Trust Medical Journals Anymore
Something to share with friends and family members But You LOOK Good!

Labs
MDL
Igenex Labs

Western Blot Info
FDA It is important that clinicians understand the limitations of these tests

Explaining Borreliosis (Lyme) Western Blot Tests
Explanation of Western Blot Bands
Igenex Labs on the Western Blot
Melissa Kaplan's Lyme Website Explains Western Blot
Dr. C Explains Western Blot
- Not present
+ Low
++ Medium
+++ High
+/- Equivocal = indeterminate (there, but not as intense as Low)

Drug Interactions and Other Drug Info
Drug Digest
American Medical Women's Association Tiscali Reference Encyclopedia
Herxing
What Is a Herxheimer Reaction?
What Is Herxing?
The Herxheimer Reaction

Check Diet Link Atkins Diet
Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content
Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections
Good Site Canadian Lyme Disease Association
FDA on Lyme Testing
Legal Help

GreatSite
MedicalDictionary

USA Support

SupportGroups Canada

SupportGroups Australia

( No you don't always see a bite and if there's no bullseye the only way your going to be able to tell is (symptoms) and (((Maybe))) WB or lyme dot blot 3 day urine banged with abx's to free your antigens up for the test. )
See this ( . )thats the size of the larva stage tick...
Next nymph size... ( * )
Next is adult ( o ) to ( 0 )
Pretty small????? HUH

Marnies......... Ten Points Regarding Mg and Lyme Disease

Canlyme MAG

Help with Meds

Vitamins you should Know

Tests Synonyms Guide

Lab Tests Looky

How to apply Permethrin

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement