LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thanks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanks
mathprofessor
Member # 6352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathprofessor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate all the help I have received today.
My IDIOT dermatologist insisted it was a wart.
He only showed me the first test result which was negative.
It was the western blot test.
That was last month.
He also refused to give me any medicine until this second one came back POSITIVE.
He was extremely humble and frightened.
HE mentioned lawsuit, not me.
I tried to get those second results today, but they wouldn't give it up.
I threatened them when they wouldn't give it to me.
I made an appointment next week with a lyme friendly doctor.
I also have a name of an infectious disease doctor at the hospital a block from my house.
I had the lump removed today and they will perform a biopsy on it.
That was enough for today.
My back really hurts, but I have a screwed up back from an old injury.
It seems that lyme finds where your body is weak and lets you know it.
I feel taht my chest paisn are more muscular than heart related. It kills me to cough.
I think I just pulled a muscle or two in my rib cage.

Posts: 17 | From chicago | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mathprofessor,

It's so kind of you to update us on your progress, especially when you're feeling so rotten.

Sometimes, we don't know if we're helping others or confusing them more.

About not being able to access your medical records.....,

My husband is familiar with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of l996, which federally protects your right to your medical records which are legal documents.

Under HIPAA, the records belong to the patient and you have a legal right to obtain them for a nominal fee to cover copy costs.

You OWN your records. They are simply in the doctor's possession.

The doc is required to notify you of your rights to your health information by publishing a notification of privacy practices.

You acknowledged this fact when you received his notification the first time you visited his office.

He is required by US Federal Law & by his own notice to make your records available to you.

If the doctor refuses to provide your records, you can file a complaint with the US Dept. of Health and Human Services which will lead to an investigation of the Doctor.

Most states have their own version of HIPAA, also.

Get a copy of your doctor's notification of privacy practices & show him where he has told you that he will honor your RIGHTS to your records.

He's probably never read this because it was written by his lawyer.

Hope this helps.

From the way your doctor has treated you with such disdain, he's not worth an ounce of your anger or energy.

We just hope you get the very best care possible.

Best Wishes,
Jan

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 11 October 2004).]

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathprofessor
Member # 6352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathprofessor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mathprofessor:
That was last month.
He also refused to give me any medicine until this second one came back POSITIVE.
I also have a name of an infectious disease doctor at the hospital a block from my house.
I feel taht my chest paisn are more muscular than heart related. It kills me to cough.

Posts: 17 | From chicago | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathprofessor
Member # 6352

quote:
Originally posted by mathprofessor:
That was last month.

I know he has to give me the report.
He was afraid to show it to me last week.
This isn't the first time this has happened.
Ten years ago I tore a huge hole in my abdominal wall.
All teh doctos made fun of me.
I did my homework and it took a lot of money and seven years but i had teh correct surgery after 5 incorrect surgeries.
NOW all teh doctors tell me I was right and congratulate me.
My surgeon in Europe invented this surgery and has done 3000 of these. He published pictures of my tear in a journal. I was one of the worse cases he had ever seen. I do not trust doctors at all. They aren't very bright and couldn't pass the lowest level class I teach (Cal 3). Most of them are doctors to make money.

cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LymeNet.
You've been given excellent info.
Now you need excellent treatment.

Since there seems to be so few Lyme Literate Med Drs (LLMDs), I was wondering how you got the names of the two drs you mentioned -"appt with a Lyme friendly dr" & "infectious disease dr at a hospital" near your house.

Please be sure they really, truly are LLMDs before you waste lots of time, energy, & money!!!

The earlier the treatment, the better the results, BUT ONLY IF the treatment is long enough & strong enough.
Wasting time on inadequate treatment only complicates the process of restoring your health.

Go to Seeking a Dr here on LymeNet & put your location in the title.
See if the names of these same drs are e-mailed to you.

Also, on the left, click Support Groups for your state & surrounding states to see if they can recommend any LLMDs.

You're purchasing a service & you need to be sure your Lyme dr has a lot of satisfied customers.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness, that's a shocking story. That's terrible what happened to you.

I just shudder when I see these dismal treatment falures appear on this board over & over again.

Physicians refuse to police themselves. They protect each other infinitely.

I believe it's mostly incompetency mixed in with a whole lot of dishonesty.

When did it become o.k. for a patient to undergo 5 surgeries to get it right and nobody seems to bat an eye?

How can that be o.k.?

Then you have to consult a European surgeon?

No wonder they're afraid of lawsuits with you. They really messed up.

I'm a newcomer here, but there are many experienced folks.

With their years of experience in Lyme & co-infections, I wouldn't mind them being my doctor------for real.

They have firsthand knowledge & they listen.

A few members are probably doctors, but I'm not exactly sure which ones are. They, too have been misdiagnosed by multiple doctors.

Well, hope we didn't cause volume overload in prior posts. We just want to educate folks with the facts & then they can determine what course to take.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I know you're anxious to get the results of the nodule biopsy.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathprofessor
Member # 6352

I was a 32 minute 10k runner at age 35 (ten years ago) when I tore my abdominal wall.
The doctors were just nasty. Then two years later they saw where the adductors were tearing off of my pubic bones.
It is really painful I must say.
The assholes at Northwestern (Bulls Bears surgeons...) said go to Europe. That costs 3 hours and $300. It took me years to find the right treatment. One doctor sent me to mexico where they cut off too much in my groin. That took years to rebuild. I now do 60-70 reps at 170 to 150 pounds (each) on the adductor machine. That is over 200 reps a day at 170, 160 and 150 lbs. At first I couldn't do 60 lbs. But I don't quit.
It was tough going to Belgrade especially before and after sept 2001. I had surgery in August and flew back in Oct. It hasn't been easy. I have horrible pain. Now that my abdominal wall has been repaired the job is to get my back and pelvis in place. That has been another three years. That is where I'm at now. My previouys chiro thought that the left and right marking on the x-ray were instruments left inside of me, the moron.
My next chiro looked up my injury and told me about some guy in Europe.
I said that's my surgeon and showed him all the gifts he gave me while I was there. Everywhere I went in Belgrade all the 20 year olds ran up to this 70 year old surgeon as if he was a rock star. He was a soccer star in his youth and when he saw all these athletes having groin problems he invented the sports hernia. But most people insult me for going there.
I found a Lyme friendly doctor here (5 miles from my apt.). There is a lyme literate doctor, but that is a two month wait. The lyme friendly one had a very helpful receptionist who gave me good advice on the surgery today.
i have contacted the local lyme support here in Chicago and my podiatrist who removed the lump today and sent it to the hopsital gave me a number of a doctor who treats infectious diseases at that hospital, which is right outside my window.
Unfortunately when things look positive like that I find there are catches.
Hopefully these doctors won't be a deadend.
I have been desperate for help in the past.
I wasted over $5000 for the HORRIBLE treatment known as prolotherapy. That was 50-60 shots right in my groin twice a week for months. Absolutely HORRIBLE. Probably made me worse. That ass was probably the biggest crook on the planet.
I should add taht after tearing my groin I now do pilates. BUT I tried yoga and snapped my knee. I went to doctor after doctor.
after one MRI (I had two on my knees and 5 on my groin, not to mention 3 bone scans, Catscans...) they said that the cartilage was torn. It wasn't-wrongful surgery!!!!
The next doctor made me wait 4 hours only to say he doesn't treat my knee injury, BUT he billed $844 for I don't treat this.
They are assholes. This dermatologist made the nasty commment that everybody thinks they are a doctor. That was 5 weeks ago when I begged him for the antibiotics. He refused which will come back to haunt him.
Also my father was one of those 100,000 people killed a year in a hopsital (two years ago) known as wrongful deaths.
He was a donor to that hospital and they SAID we should sue. But we didn't. But I may here if I get really sick.

mathprofessor
Member # 6352

I forgot to add that my brother had a false negative last year and was in and out of the hospital with intravenous antibiotics.
They screwed him up and I begged my dermatologist, but he was so nasty they made a rather nasty comment about how hyper I was.
I was worried and now they are.

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME To LYMENET

Here's more goodys! A typical response to newcomers.

Hi and WELCOME! Get a LLMD or at least Dr that is willing to learn about lyme. Borrelia Burgdorferi is a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms and on your response to treatment. Good Luck, bumpy road ahead.

Post for a LLMD in Seeking a Doctor. Ps remember I am not a Dr, just a fellow sufferer.

How to Search Courtesy of Danq
LymeNet Links for New Members
Newbie's Lingo

Lyme Disease Audio Network
Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines
CDC Website on Lyme Disease
International Lyme and Associated Disease Society

Lyme Disease Symptoms
Rashes
Co-IinfectionsThanx M

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers
Making the Most of Your LLMD Visit
Camp A and Camp B, The Lyme Disease Contoversy
2nd Version Camp A Camp B

Why You Can't Trust Medical Journals Anymore
Something to share with friends and family members But You LOOK Good!

Labs
MDL
Igenex Labs

Western Blot Info
FDA It is important that clinicians understand the limitations of these tests

Explaining Borreliosis (Lyme) Western Blot Tests
Explanation of Western Blot Bands
Igenex Labs on the Western Blot
Melissa Kaplan's Lyme Website Explains Western Blot
Dr. C Explains Western Blot
- Not present
+ Low
++ Medium
+++ High
+/- Equivocal = indeterminate (there, but not as intense as Low)

Drug Interactions and Other Drug Info
Drug Digest
American Medical Women's Association Tiscali Reference Encyclopedia
Herxing
What Is a Herxheimer Reaction?
What Is Herxing?
The Herxheimer Reaction

Check Diet Link Atkins Diet
Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content
Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections
Good Site Canadian Lyme Disease Association
FDA on Lyme Testing
Legal Help

GreatSite
MedicalDictionary

USA Support

SupportGroups Canada

SupportGroups Australia

( No you don't always see a bite and if there's no bullseye the only way your going to be able to tell is (symptoms) and (((Maybe))) WB or lyme dot blot 3 day urine banged with abx's to free your antigens up for the test. )
See this ( . )thats the size of the larva stage tick...
Next nymph size... ( * )
Next is adult ( o ) to ( 0 )
Pretty small????? HUH

Marnies......... Ten Points Regarding Mg and Lyme Disease

Canlyme MAG

Help with Meds

Vitamins you should Know

Tests Synonyms Guide

Lab Tests Looky

How to apply Permethrin

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that you had to go to a former Iron curtain country for successful surgery. Some of the most enlightened and intelligent work on Lyme and co-infections is being done in Hungary and Poland. I have a theory about that: they learned to distrust authority and think for themselves.

Of course there are some good researchers elsewhere, like Italy and Finland. Might make a hole in my theory.

When you have a large dominant health industry like we have in the U.S., when they get it wrong, it really affects the big picture everywhere. And is as hard to turn around as a battleship.

Also, the profit motive and the "market" are skewing the situation. Isn't it amazing that patients are so poorly treated by so many doctors? Got to have something to do with the fact that insurance and profit-making people are calling the shots. We are just the innocent by-standers being trampled by the elephants. This is clearly not restricted to Lyme disease.

Have you read the book "Critical Condition?"

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 12 October 2004).]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathprofessor
Member # 6352

About the Serbian surgeon, I had read his unpublished manuscript years earlier an dhad to ait until the fighting stopped in Yugoslavia.
While I was there I spoke with a young business man from Greece. He wasn't surprised that i flew to Belgarde. He hadn't heard of my surgeon, but he said that these SErbian doctors were forced under communism to be the best in the world.
As for American doctors, I just hate them.
They don't care about anything but themselves.
They worry about lawsuits and I have been told I could sue so many times before.
I'm well off so i don't need it, but this time I'm so mad I may.
I'm waiting right now for the dermatologist to get in so I can get that blood test.
I'm getting stronger, but I'm nausea from the 100 doxcycline i have been taking.
I'm having trouble with getting a doctor through this link.
The infectious disese doctors next door have a 3 week wait, plus that is an incompetent hopsital, so I'm not sure if I wait I will be wasting more time.
I plan to make as many appoinment as possible.
I found someone lyme freindly who I will see next Tuesday. That seems to be the best I can do.
It is early and I want to get in soon. MY brother was treated in NY last year and I may fly in to see his doctor.

RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about the loss of your father. That's very sad. I'm sure it was unexpected, as well. (All the more hard to deal with)

You have been through so much.

I know you don't feel up to it right now, but someday when you're all better & you will get better --------you should write your story.

Try to get it published in a newspaper or magazine. You have an especially interesting story to tell because it did make the European Journal. Just an idea......,

Also, you can eventually make your own web page and tell your story. The only folks who acknowledge us are other patients.

The internet is very powerful.

Docs hate our insant access to the same journals they read and because patients can talk to each other-------comparing notes.

They hate "internet medicine."

There is such a hidden dirty secret to medicine in America. It seems to stay well-suppressed, too.

The only other way they listen is with a lawsuit.

If you go the legal route, I'm sure you know you have a 2 year statute of limitations to file suit. Then you have to prove permanent damages.

(My sister is a degreed para-legal who worked for a prominent Ft. Worth medical malpractice lawyer for years. He only takes the HUGE cases. He would refer smaller cases to other lawyers.)

Well, I'm amazed you're still functional. You certainly don't need LD on top of all this.

But you should be proud of yourself for persisting in getting treatment & building yourself back up. That takes a lot of discipline & perseverance.

Most folks don't have that kind of tenacity to get through all that.

I've heard alot about prolotherapy. Sorry yours did not work for you. Sounds very painful. I don't know how you could stand more pain like that.

You've been through so much already, I just don't want you to get your hopes up and expect perfection from your next doctors.

It's true, you have to try & stay positive, but I do hate to see you subject yourself to anyone else who won't take you seriously.

Maybe they can help you. Everyone has to treat Lyme in their own way.

I saw close to 50 doctors. When I begin to suspect chronic LD, I went to all the specialists------- neurologist for MRI, & Rheumatologist for an evaluation; Infectious Disease Doc------on & on.

This was covered by my insurance.

But by the time I went to the Rheumatologist, I knew he would just find the secondary damage caused by Lyme. He said I didn't have Lyme because a funky lab said I was negative.

He just said I had a very mild case of reactive arthritis. He did not care what was triggering the reaction.

He yelled at my husband when he asked the Rheumi, "Where can I take her for help with her head & neck pain?

He told us-----"She's just seen the Doctor."

We left & that guy was glad to see us go.

Things only started to get fixed when I finally found an LLMD in Houston. (He's now closed his practice to do further Lyme research.) He also had Lyme.

Actually, what I'm trying to say is------- (and this viewpoint is only in retrospect after about 18 months of treatment) try very hard not to expect perfection from these doctors.

Your new doctors have no real clue or understanding of everything you've been through.

I'm sure they wouldn't take the time to even read your story on this board. Too busy.

Your paying for their opinion. Just take the help they give you & go.

Try not to get upset or disappointed------if you have to leave without all the answers.

Did I get upset & disappointed? Absolutely.

I'm just trying to save you some additional hassle. No one told me. I figure this out the hard way.

Sometimes you have to lower your expectations or it will drive you insane.

It will make you crazy for your symptoms to be continually dismissed as nothing. And, that's exactly what they do.

When things started floundering for me & Doctors were unable to get to the root cause of my problems, I eventually made my way to an LLMD.

Even when you finally get in to see a LLMD, they are overworked. Many of them have LD, so they push themselves to help others.

They each have their own pet treatment protocols based on the results of working with many Lyme patients. Sometimes these ar based on the geographical locations throughout the country.

Some kinds of Co-infections are more prevalent than in other parts of the country.

Overall, LD & co-infections of all types are pervasive in the US.

Generally speaking, most folks get the level of care that they can afford.

If you read "CAAT's" story here on Lymenet, well, let's just say it's another eye-popper.
You'll have to scroll down to her response.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/028133.html

Anyway, we have to protect their identify because of persecution by New York State or any state for that matter.

The standard of care is to treat LD for 4 weeks and then you're cured. Period. End of story. This is false.

It's my understanding that even John Hopkins has refused to see Lyme patients.

You can read more about this in the Camp A and Camp B links provided by Treepatrol. This Board is camp B.

Well, I hope your brother is better. Sounds like he hit the BUMPY LYME ROAD, too. They should have made a clinical diagnosis on him & disregarded the test.

I can think of a couple of nutritional supplements that might some, but there's really no way of knowing what would help you.

What works for some, doesn't work in everyone.

I've done extensive reading in nutrition. I usually just give unsolicited advice, but you've had such extensive surgery & treatments-------you might be inclined to laugh or be offended.

Anyway, if any of us can help, let us know.

Sorry,------ can't resist telling you that sulfur in the form of N-acetyl cysteine, an amino acid might help you some:

It can help with bronchitis by thinning mucous. (Docs prescribe it in aerosol form I think.) You can purchase capsules in a health food store.

I use Country Life Brand. It says BIOCHEM on the label ---NAC or N-Acetyl Cysteine in capsule form. Twinlab brand is good.

To activate amino acids: Take on empty stomach or at least no meat/milk protein with a little Vit. C & B6.

I use 1 - 2 package of Emergence Vit C you purchase in a a little box. Just mix in some water. Drink fairly quickly. The Vit C will evaporate out, if you let it sit there too long.

You'd need to take that at least 2 or more hours away from your antibiotics (ABX). It will cancel out your ABX.

The sulfur is like onions & garlic. It is not related to sulfa drugs.

Sulfur will rebuild tissues in the body. It will make your tissues & framework stronger.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. So take care.
Jan

P.S. The extra white spaces are for those with poor eyesight. Some won't read your post if it's too condensed. Sorry, but the Board can get kind of persnickety about most anything. Welcome to our world.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement