LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bee venom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bee venom?
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for algr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As autumn rolls in, the bees begin to die off and in the process get rather ruthless with their final stings of the season. I was discussing it with my mother the other day, and she e-mailed me this article. http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/23/bee_venom_lyme.htm

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
It sounded downright odd to me!

------------------
cheers,
AG

Posts: 119 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a friend who's mother has MS. she uses bee stings.

they actually have a hive in their house! yes, really, mounted on an outside wall!

it is completely sealed other than an entry tube that goes through the wall to the outside. it has a 'door' on top that they get the bees out of with tweezers.

MUST help because i cannot imagine anyone getting stung on PURPOSE!

she's had MS since she was young and heard about bee venum therapy on tv.

her husband told me she was always sitting on the porch when he got home from work - she finally told him she was trying to catch bees! that was 45 years ago!

he figured if there was a possibility of some relief for her it was worth a try and ordered some bees by mail.

she stuck a few bees in her sock so they would sting her ankle. CAN YOU IMAGINE?

now mostly her husband just gets her a bee with tweezers and seh gets it to sting her.

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for algr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! The injections sound less nervewracking than stings lol
Posts: 119 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I use to get stung 3 days a week,was up to about 30 stings each time.I was diagnosed with M.S. 13 years ago.Its suppose to help with inflamation and yes it did help for awile but after a time my body was not having much a reaction to it.My husband would grab a bee(we bought them air mail) by its wings and would hold it on a acupresure point.Did it hurt? well yes espeselly the first few times, but later is was just a small anoyance.Terri
Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I did a lot of bee venom therapy before and after a great number of other therapies. We did however not use live bees that need to die to do the stinging. We did injectable that we learned to do ourselves.
The bee venom is collected from healthy bees by a method that also does not kill the bees. I much preferred it that way.

We are both well today. You might to read some of my posts on this board.

Good health.

We are both well today

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Gigi-
I'm so glad to hear that this has helped you and your husband!

It still seems to strange to me. I suppose the venom kills bacteria?

A little more off topic though...I'm a vegetarian/animal rights supporter, so naturally I'd be curious to know more about the process they use to 'harvest' bee venom humanely. The article I posted mentioned doing it through injections and not live bees as well.

Thanks!

------------------
cheers,
AG

GiGi
Member # 259

AG,

The bee venom is collected by inviting the bees to sting into a certain type of membrane which avoids that in the process they lose their stinger and thus do not need to die. The bees release their venom; it is being collected; and the bees return safely to their hives. Within 3-8 days their venom sack is full again.

The bee venom is collected in environmentally safe areas. Further, if the bees are killed during the venom collection, the honey-stomach and other organs release their content thus contaminating the collected venom.

Bee venom is a mixture of enzymes that digest most if not all of the various kinds of biological material. In the treatment of Lyme, the proteolytic enzymes are important - those that digest protein. It is believed that the proteolytic enzymes in bee venom are capable of digesting the protein coating or shell of Borrelia cysts.

Bee venom contains anumber of potent peptides that are responsible for having a strong inhibitory effect on Borrelia. When the spirochete is inhibited it does not multiply and is vulnerable to the host's own immune system and other medications.

The knowledge about bee venom as a healing medium goes back thousands of years. The Babylonians, Romans and Greeks made use of it, and every bee keeper knows that that there is no bee keeper with rheumatic illnesses.

Bee venom is very beneficial for MS sufferers. And many other problems such as allergies, depression, dizziness, hormone disfunction, etc. etc.

You should have an api-pen available in case of an allergic reaction.

Reactions during bee venom therapy indicate that finally the immune system is waking up and the autonomic nervous system is being unblocked. When I first started to use it, the needle prick barely left a red mark. As I improved and my system was able to respond, the "sting" areas got larger red circles around it. Yupeeeee!

My doctor has been using Bee Venom Therapy for many years and it contributes to his wide success in treating the chronically ill.

Good luck.
www.beevenom.com
Check out Rocky Mountain Laboratories Microscopy Branch - there is extensive info available.

Bee venom has been discussed on this board a number of times. If you do a search, you will find a lot more about it.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

up --- more people need to see this --- it was very much part of what got us well..
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I tried this thearpy by accident. I was working in the garden and got stung. Intrestingly, this is the first time since my 1,000 pints of plasma that I have been stung.

In the past I was allergic, but I did not go into shock. I was stung on my wrist. about 8 hours after the sting, my wrist and hand began to hurt unlike anything I had ever felt, I could not even close my hand. No swelling but significant pain.

The pain started to migrate up the arm. I happened to see my Lyme Doc a couple of days later for a regular visit, and he joked about how he wont be starting me on bee venom injections any time soon.

It was definatly a toxic/herx reaction, maybe overall a positive one, not really sure. All I know it is not something I would like to experiment with again. At least not at this time.

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
algr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6197

Gigi:

So interesting! When I go to my LLMD next week I am definitely going to ask her what she knows about this (she does a lot of holistic type stuff in addition to traditional medicine, maybe she's heard about it or done it).

Thanks for the great info!

------------------
cheers,
AG

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement