LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you O.D. on Probiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you O.D. on Probiotics?
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 3000mg of Amoxicillin daily and I take two Jarro-Dophilus + FOS about every two hours and I take four before I go to bed and three or four when I get up in the mourning. I've haven't noticed any problems one way or the other. I was just wondering if you can take too much of it.

------------------
``I had no intention of living this way.'' -Adam Duritz

Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much of a good thing, right?
I think you'd probably get 50 different answers from 50 different people. I have heard from some that the body will get rid of what it doesn't use so theoretically you can't overdose. But like I said, someone else may tell you differently.

Is there a reason in your mind for taking so much probiotic? That certainly is a pretty hearty dose of abx you are on. What is the purity of the probiotic product you are using?

Sitting on the fence is starting to hurt my butt!!!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cootiegirl:

Is there a reason in your mind for taking so much probiotic? That certainly is a pretty hearty dose of abx you are on. What is the purity of the probiotic product you are using?

Sitting on the fence is starting to hurt my butt!!!
cootiegirl

That's funny. I hope it not a barb wired fence.

I'm taking that much because I DO NOT want yeast issues. I'm 6 foot 140 pounds and I don't want to have to go on a no carb diet...I would disappear.

They have 3.4 billion organisms per pill. Is that what you mean by "purity?"

Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's what I meant by 'purity' - how many of those buggers are in your pills.

My son is about your size and weight and he too likes his carbs, especially bread. His doc suggested taking a couple of tabs a day - the ones I have are 4 billion buggers each and a variety of different types. I am working hard to get him to keep his carb intake on the low side and really stick with protein and veggies.

I'm not the best one when it comes to understanding supplements, so hopefully someone else will come along....I've put a cushion on the fence!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRobin
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Thank you for the soft cushion!)

I have been doing probiotics for 4 months, using refrigerated Jarrodophilus and also Bifidus Balance, both have FOS, both Jarrow formulas.

I quadruple the dose with no after effects, and am taking it 3 times a day. Do not know if it is affecting yeast situation, though because I have only been on antibiotics for 10 days.

However, my ex GP also wanted me to take extra FOS (she never inquired as to what I was taking).
It was a disaster, and ripped through me taking everything with it. So I stopped that part. I deduce there is a body signal for too much FOS!

I have read pro's and con's on FOS because of theorized stimulation of detrimental bacteria.

Seeing LLMD tomorrow, and I will ask him what he thinks of amount of probiotics and what would be effects of "too much", so I will know when to cut back.

JRobin

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

quote:
Originally posted by JRobin:
[BSeeing LLMD tomorrow, and I will ask him what he thinks of amount of probiotics and what would be effects of "too much", so I will know when to cut back.

JRobin[/B]

Let me know what he says.

JRobin
Unregistered

oops...for more clarity..............

The Bifidus has 2 billion per capsule. Recommended dose is 1-3 capsules per day. I take 4, for a total of 8 billion.

The Jarro-Dophilus has has about 8.4 billion Lactobacillus varieties per serving, and 3.6 billion additional Bifidus, for a total of 12 billion. That is for one serving, which I also quadruple.

Antibiotics are 500 mg zithromax and 50mgX2 minocin at this time. No digestive upsets at this point.

I also take a Zand Cleansing Fiber , which contains psyllium seed and husk, plus pectin, licorice root, bentonite, kaolin clay, peppermint leaf, slippery elm bark, pau d arco, and chlorella. (how can they get all that in one capsule?)

Psyllium etc. is taken at normal dosage twice a day. (This did not stop the extra FOS problem.)

JRobin

LLLucille
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLLucille     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lenny,

I'm just wondering when you take the abx in this schedule of yours?

I seems to me that if you are taking probiotics every two hours, all day long, and then more before bed and when you first get up, then when is the abx supposed to have time to work against the "bad" bacteria?

Abx indescriminately kills all bacteria, good and bad, so you definitely need to replace the "good" to keep the yeast in check - however, it seems to me that taking so many probiotics might just make the abx work harder? It seems that you may be, to a degree, cancelling out the usefulness of the abx because it is now working so much harder to find the lyme bacteria hiding amongst the "good" bacteria you are pumping in. Does that make sense?

Maybe that is a stupid opinion (and I'm sure if it is, someone here will let me know!), but you should give the abx AT LEAST a couple of hours to kill off the bad stuff before you take the good stuff.

Just a thought!

Oh, and I find that too many probiotics can sometimes mess up my bowels something awful! I suppose if you don't have this problem you are doing okay!

Posts: 438 | From SE Michigan | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taking the Ultra Flora Plus, 2 caps, 3 x/day. I got wicked diarrhea. They have 7 billion whatevers in each capsule. So, I guess 35 billion was a bit much. My Dr. said to cut way back so I don't evaculate all the good stuff that is supposed to stay in my gut.

I am now at 2 billion 3x/day. Seems to work.
You have to "take to tolerance", as my MD said.

But, cutting out the refined carbs and sugars will really help you alot. You have to kill/starve the bad yeast & replace it with the good bacteria. Balance is key.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

LLLucille,

I was taking my abx at 10am with a two hour window on each side. I think I'm gonna start taking them before I go to bed and stop the probiotics a few hours before I got to bed.

JRobin
Unregistered

Hi Lenny,
I just returned from LLMD. I asked if there was a limit to the amount of probiotics. He said no. Now, after thinking about that, perhaps he was thinking in a scientific/research sense, rather than experiences of others. So I guess I will just continue my schedule, unless there is a bodily reaction.

Sorry I could not provide more help.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement