LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme related surgery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme related surgery
GEDEN13
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

did anyone here ,have lyme related surgery? going for third knee surgery..can't seem to find anyone with lyme ,that has had any type of surgery.

please,don't tell me to take abx,have tried,arthritis keep's returning...would discribe,but kinda nasty...thanks,gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

My Mom had arthritis really severely.
She does not have lyme.

She is so much better now... could not golf before, sleeping was like a nightmare... the pain of lying down was incredible.
Nothing helped her until....

she changed her diet. She was sensitive or allergic to wheat and dairy. Sugar also. TOO much sweet foods, like cakes and cookies.

After being off wheat and dairy... for one month, she was about 60% improved. After 2-3 months she was golfing again, and smiling all the time, because the pain was gone.

She also did a candida diet, and some supps, as well as cut out sugar. She does now have the odd sweet, and sometimes wheat and dairy, but if she overdoes it the arthritis starts to return.

Also, if you read the book Eat Right for Your Blood type, you may get some help there.
My Mom is a blood type O, and if she eats wrongly for her blood type, she gets arthritis. Blood type O's are to avoid wheat and dairy. For some type O's this may not make a difference, but for other type O's there is major difference. Only thing for you to do is try and see how you do.
I am a blood type B.

MANY times it can just be food allergies.
Also, a past injury in the knee, dont know what went on with you and your knees.

If you look for a list of foods to avoid for arthritics, it may help you.

I think arthritics are supposed to avoid the nightshade foods.
Look into this.

Possibly it is lyme, but possibly if you do the above you may be much better. Not sure, but worth a try.
I dont know what you have done, maybe done all this.

I could NOT believe how swollen my Mom's joints were when she had the arthritis. The MD told her to take some kind of drug to help, it did help the pain somewhat for a few months, but it then go so bad she wanted to die. I would catch her sobbing in a room sometimes... cause the pain was so bad.

SHE DID NOT HAVE LYME, so arthritis could be for you, both lyme and one of the above, or possibly something else.

hope this helps,

Also, a good body cleanse, and possibly a liver cleanse. I read that the knees can really hurt if the liver is congested.
Maybe some liver flushes or beet flushes.
My Mom also did several body cleanses, a parasite cleanse and apple cider vinegar.
She did the apple sicer vinegar for months.
Also, the MSM, and the Glucosamine Sulphate.
She is 67, and prancing around the town, when before, she was in so much pain and not doing much.
Goes to show you that... ailments most times can be reversed, just have to find what works for you.

Good luck.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks trish,

this i know is lyme arthritis. orthopedist dxed it as such(he did the past 2 surgeries)..

what you said about past injuries i believe is true.was hit by a car in my younger day's...maybe scar tissue has something to do with it..

had a open synovectomy.(scrape bone's and remove most of synovial lining)..

the pain is also in my hip's,seems to be spreading. i find it odd that i can't find anyone with lyme ,that has had surgery..have read about other's,but can't seem to find anyone to talk too....thank's again trish,gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eventually...I'll need surgery....left knee....from Lyme.

My back and neck are terrible, too.

Trying prolo...VERY expensive though.

Don't know what else to tell you.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm getting ready to have the {laproscopic} surgical procedure done, where they use something I think they called a trocar. This will be done sometime after November 10th.

They said they will cut a small hole and go in and clean all the bad tissue out and hope the new will regenerate. If not, then it's on to bigger things.

I've been sick with Lyme and RA for 16 years, with treatment only the last 2 years. I also have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. Both my knees are shot as well as my both hips, shoulders, wrists, all my fingers, neck and a few vertebra.

Best of luck to you and God Bless You,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

thank's for the reply's..pam i also have fibro.which i think might be a generalization of diseases ,with no cure...like lupus, fibro some others i can't recall..i see my orthopedist on monday.will discuss the possibilty of what you are going to do......gary

------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sis has had both knees replaced. One at a time. Doc at a very major teaching hospital said they were the worse knees he had ever seen and didn't know how she could walk. They were totally disintegrated.

She is doing very well. Used a device post op to stimulate exercise of the leg. Now goes to a pool to exercise a few times a week.

Additionally,she is on a very, very powerful drug to reduce inflammation. She does FEEL better.

Weigh the risks. Personally, I would not hesitate to go for the knee replacement if it is really really bad.

P.S. for newbies...don't freak. Sis was misdiagnosed and given a LOT of steroids years ago. This enabled the disease to get a foothold and do its dirty work.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

thank's marnie, just trying to get all the info i can....eating percocet like candy..i know that is the wrong direction...

but can't bear the pain any longer either..seem's pill's are cheaper then surgery ,in the eye's of hmo...gary

------------------

b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie,

They did the same thing to me. I took steroids for treatment of RA for about 14 years before realizing I had lyme also.

Bless Us All,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

up...one more day..

------------------

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 10 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Lyme related surgery this past March. I had my rotator cuff that was torn by a huge bone spur (caused by Lyme).

The only difference was that my recover time that I had to have Physical Therapy was upped by one whole month. So, instead of having 2.5 months of PT, I had to have 3.5 months for it to heal.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Back to the top for another round...just in case someone missed this post and may be able to add to it.

Pam

bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, I have not had knee/hip replacements, but I have had 12 other surgeries since my undx tick bite 34 years ago.

2 of them I was really sick afterwards with staff infections. My gallbladder removal ended up being 10-11 days; murphy's law happened over daily there. Best wishes to you.

Also, I'd recommend warm water swimming pool workouts to exercise it. I was doing that for physical therapy until I became so allergic to ALL smells; had to stop. That's also when my RASHES started popping up for me; 7+ yrs. later, and still have them!

But since started my 8-04 regiment of abx, I have not had one flareup of rashes! Yea!

Pam, when I read your symptoms/pain areas...it make me think also of post-polio syndrome! My cousin's wife is going thru this: has to replace ALL major JOINTS in her body; 2 per year! Betty, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcnteddy
Member # 6075

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mcnteddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you could call my surgery Lyme related. My instability had me fall and I shattered my right hip. The rubbish left of my femoral head was removed and I had a Titanium cup and Femoral Head of the same gloriously expensive material placed into my femur. Just returned from 2 weeks in hospital after the procedure. Hip doesn't hurt but where the muscles where chewed up to get at the femur and stick the spike of the prosthesis into the femur that was chopped off at a convenient level allowing both legs to be the same length so that you may call me Titanium Teddy. Expensive stuff, the titanium so I'm worth more on the second hand market. Now at home and looking after myself. The op did a job on my neuropathy of the leg operated on, but it is improving to catch up with the lousy neuropathy of the other leg to even things up.
I'm satisfied with the surgery but my hospital stay made me feel like a third class citizen. Horrific experiences, especially having a nutty room mate who was obviously a drug addict and a pain in the butt. Happy to be home and treated by a decent doctor; myself.
Please everyone, do be careful and avoid falling. Nice to be back on line. Took a while to empty my mail box, 378 messages were waiting for me. I deleted them all except those from people I knew and a few relatives I like. Love to you all. Keep the faith, a cure is round the corner. I suspect it is Irish Whiskey in copious amounts.
The Ancient Mariner, Ted

------------------

Posts: 77 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

glad you are back with us doc...or is that,the man of steel..was wondering where you were ... gotta see the orthopedist tomorrow.pain in right knee is unbareable.
already had orthoscopic surgery and open synovectomy..dxed, lyme arthritis with extensive synovitis...

eating percocet like candy.gota do something..
irish whiskey don't sound half bad right now...take care of yourself....gary

------------------

jimw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a quote from my earlier post:

I would like to offer something that a friend with horrible arthritic pain for years told me about that has him walking around town like nothing bothers him.

I had terrible hip and shoulder pain so I took him up on it.

One heaping teaspoon of turmeric (also spelled tumeric, a spice) in a glass of warm water
or mixed in with a food that suits your taste (for me in a bowl of porridge).

Take one heaping teaspoon in the morning and one at night.

My legs and joints haven't felt this good in years.

I have now got about twenty others trying this but only within the last week so results have only just started to come in. Looks very good.

If anyone else wants to give this a try the spice is not strong and at a bulk food bin you can buy a months worth for less than a dollar.

I think after 14 years of lyme this is the most promising treatment for me. I have a bounce back in my legs that I thought was gone forever. Neuro symptoms are way down and I think straight now.

This is only my response to it but I really want more to try it to see if it holds true for others.

see below and do a Pubmed search www.wholehealthmd.com/hc/doctortips/1,2316,443_10062,00.html

Posts: 144 | From British Columbia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

wanna thank all of you who replied.have some info to work with now...see orthopedist this afternoon......gary

------------------

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 7 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimw:

One heaping teaspoon of turmeric (also spelled tumeric, a spice) in a glass of warm water
or mixed in with a food that suits your taste (for me in a bowl of porridge).

Take one heaping teaspoon in the morning and one at night.

My legs and joints haven't felt this good in years.

Wow, I think that I will give this a try as well...I'll try and let you know how it goes. Do you know if this spice interferes with abx in any way? My mother's arthritis is so bad that her fingers turn 90 degrees. I wonder if this would help her with her pain.

Thanks for the information.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read of it interfering with other meds except blood thinners.

As with anything, especially if one is taking blood thinners they should check with their doctor.

Curcumin is the active ingredient and here is some info.
www.loweringcholesterol.net/herbal-remedies/ curcumin/curcumin-drug-interactions

[This message has been edited by jimw (edited 01 November 2004).]

Posts: 144 | From British Columbia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

thanks jimw.....will look into it....gary

------------------

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim, I'm more curious now, how does it interfer with the blood thinners?

Does it negate the effects of the blood thinners? Or does it thinken up the blood, which we do not need? Either one would not be good, for most of us with LD do have think blood and many here are on such as Heparin to thin the blood.

Prehaps you should put this precaution in bold. you can do that by an "open bracket "[" then a b then a closed bracket "]" just prior what you want to bold and after what you want to bold do a "/b" between the brackets at the end of what you want to bold.

This precaution, I would think, is a very important one that folks should consider when try this.

Thanks again for the information.

Rosemary

jimw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3111

Tumeric has an anticoagulant effect and is not recommended while taking thinning drugs such as warfarin. It makes the blood thinners too potent.
http://www.curcumin.net/site-map

PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 12 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

I don't know how I missed your post, but wanted to reply. My husband was diagnosed in May with lyme and erlichiosis and had arthroscopic surgery in June. Felt tremendously better after getting that cartlilage trimmed away and he healed quite nicely. He is now back to playing basketball (when he's not too tired) with no pain in that knee.

Before getting diagnosed he had hip and knee pain all the time just walking around the property. The hip pain is gone, but comes back slightly while herxing.

Also, 10 years ago he had 2 herniated disks operated on. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he had lyme way back then.

Gail

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

thank's gail,

orthopedist took 2 x-rays yesterday.showed bone's in pretty good shape..

should have had another mri..doc scared to see what'is in there..1st orthopedist(who did prior surgeries) left pa.due to the malpratice debacle here..

now this orthopedist is keeping me on pain mangement,still!! just don't understand why...maybe cheaper to make me a druggie...distract from real lyme arthritis..is worded in my med records...lyme arthritis with extensive synovitis...docter's look the other way....don't know.....gary

------------------

b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Just wondering how you are doing and what you've decided about changing Dr.'s. Surely THERE IS a better answer than for you to continue taking all those drugs.

I do hope your'e taking plenty of milk thistle to help protect your liver. But, it is not a miracle suppliment. It can only do so much.

Post a message so we all know what's going on.

God Bless You Gary,

Pam

GEDEN13
Member # 4151

i was just sitting here thinking about that..pain wake's me..

i have an appointment to see another orthopedist in dec. was also wondering about abx and lyme arthritis...if abx "cure's" arthritis,then no one would have arthritis...which is not the case.

i emailed my doc,(yep,home email) going to consider,trigger point injections.no steriod's. may get some relief.temporary ,at least.but i will be able to back off on percocet...

my ins.sux. i have limited(no) choice's..i understand ,that after being on ssi for 2 year's tht i will be put on medicaid ins. mean's,better selection of doctor's and medicine(abx). i have 5 month's to go.

my right knee,calf,thigh and both hip's are in constant pain.i know the arthritis is worse.i believe lyme is helping it spread.other joint's are affected,but not as bad...

then there is the fibro.confused pain.lyme? fibro?

if you can think of thing's to help,please suggest.i can run them by my gp..don't know where i would be without him.

want to thank you for interest,prayer,help.....gary

------------------

GEDEN13
Member # 4151

UP....

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement