LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » stiff neck & numbness in fingertips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stiff neck & numbness in fingertips
jackieu
Member # 6418

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jackieu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wondering if any of you experienced a stiff neck or fingertip numbness. I have just recently been diagnosed and after looking at the symptoms of lyme, realized that I've had sublte symptoms such as these in the past. My neck has been bothering me for months, many months in fact and I thought it was just tension. It would stiffen up on one or both sides and give me headaches...sometimes even make me sick to my stomach. I also had trouble concentrating and thought it was stress or anxiety. I'm just trying to learn all I can from everyone elses experiences...i think part of me is still in doubt that I have lyme...doctor told me the only other thing it could be is lupus and I'm scared to death I have that now.

anyone with a similar story to help put my mind at ease? Although I know lyme is very serious in itself.

Posts: 18 | From boothwyn, Pa, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have had stiff necks to varying degrees over the years. Stiff necks are very common with Lyme. I've also had numbness in my hands. The numbness could actually be related to your neck.

Do you have pain and stiffness around your shoulders? If so, it's a sign of thoracic outlet syndrome which puts pressure on nerves, and can cause referred pain or numbness of the hand and fingers.

I worked with a physical therapist who helped me relax my muscles through hands on manipulation and taught me stretching exercises. I also take Flexeril which is a muscle relaxer.

Best of luck,
Aniek

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackieu
Member # 6418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackieu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I've had horrible pain and stiffness around my shoulders. It's subsiding some but since being on the medication (which has only been less than 1 week) I'm a little better but have my good days and bad. Never saw any rash...had no idea I was even bitten by a tick.
Posts: 18 | From boothwyn, Pa, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep thats usual.
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had very much pain in my neck throughout the past 16 years and still have it a lot. So hard to sleep like that.

I don't have numbness in my fingertips but do have this tingling sensation down both arms and legs most of the time and also often across my shoulder blade area.

It actually gets tingling so bad that it is painful at times. Neurotin seems to help some just as muscle relaxers and pain medicines do.

Wish I could be of more help.

God Bless You,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, stiff neck, shoulders & numbness in fingers. I also have tennis elbow that really causes my fingers to go completely numb. All Lyme related.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to find a neurologist chiropractor..They can also provide some relief..
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numb hands were my first symptom, stiff and painful neck and shoulders came later.

You may not have been bitten by a tick. There is evidence that other insects carry the same bacteria( really a group of about 5-6) different diseases) and that lyme is sexually transmitted. The bacteria is the same type as syphillus. Blood transfusions are another source.

I didn't remember a tick bite, but when the fog cleared I remembered a spider bite on my foot and wondering how a spider could have been in my shoe with my foot and my not know it. dah!

I probably got lyme from my mate first. He was healthier( or ignored the symptoms) longer. We are all basically in the same boat.

After all that good news, Welcome to Lymenet. If someone hasn't posted links for new members, they'll be here soon.

I'm glad you've found treatment.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement