LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Cows...????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Cows...????
adrenalinchick97
Member # 6204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for adrenalinchick97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today i went to Sam's club and bought a huge thing of ground beef. As i was cooking it I started to wonder....!

Since Lyme gets into the tissue, organs and blood how long does it take to die off if the body is no longer alive? Ok here is what i am getting at. It has been reported that there is lyme in Cows.

At the store you are getting FRESH ground beef, right? Do you think it is possible for the bacteria to survive even after you cook it? I guess the same would go for chicken, huh.

I know this is probably a stupid question but i can't help but wonder. Can someone clearfy this for me so i can educate myself.

"Cattle
Many cattle do not display signs of Lyme disease; those that do may have lameness, painful or swollen joints, fever, laminitis, or weight loss.

A skin rash may be present on the udder of infected cows. Bb has been found to exist in urine and colostrum of infected cattle; therefore, the possibility of transmission between cows should be considered.

The Lyme bacterium has also been found in blood, milk, synovial fluid, and spontaneously aborted fetal tissue. Bb can survive in frozen milk, but is killed during pasteurization."

Posts: 24 | From Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter- just cook the heck out of it and wash your hands well after handling raw meat. Don't handle raw meat if you have a cut on your hands if you want to be especially anal(I am...) Spirochetes don't survive cooking.

I used to love beef charred on the outside and raw on the inside- but not any more...

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 100% certain that the tick that bit me right next to a meadow where many cows were crazing was the one that almost ended my life and that of my husband also. Up there on a mountain range in Hawaii - I was sitting in the grass on my friends lawn adjoining the pasture only separated by an almost invisible fence.

If you suspect "cow" exposure, be sure to also think of Brucella infection - that's the one that can cause among many others Parkinsons symptoms.

There were also some "horseflys" around at the time and it is known that they also carry the disease.

I will never ever visit my friend again in her paradise! She has macular degeneration and plenty of other ailments and her husband moves in and our of the hospitals - but they have no clue what's is causing their ill health. Or rather - they don't want to know.
So sad. It almost killed a long friendship

I still eat meat - but cooked thoroughly.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janinco
Member # 6278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janinco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had done some checking on lyme being trasmitted through milk and pasteurization does kill it, so I would think that heating meat to 140 degrees would be adequate.

I always clean counters and utensils with a spray made with 3% hydrogen peroxide and a little vegetable soap. I have friends who even wear gloves when they handle raw meat.

Jan

Posts: 85 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid question here, but why is it recommended to cook meat well done and to not eat sushi?

I know the obvious reasons of Ecoli, Salmonella, etc. But what other reasons are there?

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement