LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When Do You Switch Doctors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When Do You Switch Doctors?
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post is mainly for those of us who have suffered from chronic Lyme Disease (LD) for an extended period of time. But others may want to chime in. The conventional wisdom is that chronic sufferers require more time to heal, perhaps several years. We've all probably felt the frustration of failed diagnoses over the years prior to the LD diagnosis. That failure probably led us from one doctor to another. That's my background, and that leads me to the topic of this post.

I've been seeing a Lyme-Literate doctor (LLMD) for a year now, and I'm no better off than I was a year ago. He did order blood tests that confirmed Babesia and LD. I've tried Mepron, Zithromax, Biaxin, Doxycilin, Amantadine, Flagyl, IV Rocephin for 12 weeks. I'm now on Ketek, Amantadine, and Factive. I know it takes time to treat this disease, but I'm feeling frustrated. My emotions tell me to find someone else. But my intellect tells me that another doctor would probably treat me the same way.

But here's another issue. I described neurological and psychological problems from the start to my LLMD in addition to the chronic arthritic pain I feel. But in one year's time, the only medication he's given me that has been documented to cross the blood brain barrier is IV Rocephin. It's as if he's not listening to me. I told him that my arthritic pain went down significantly on Biaxin, but he hasn't prescribed that again since April. It's frustrating to see a doctor once a month at the most and only get about 10 minutes of his problem-solving time. And his problem-solving skills don't sound too good. Then again, it may be my own brain fog that's drawing me to the wrong conclusions.

For those in the same boat, how often do you change doctors? Would you recommend changing or staying the course?

Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

I've been seeing the same Dr. for over 2 years with the very least improvement. I'm moving on now. The Dr. I've been seeing is 238 miles away, but I'm going to be flying to see one who's 752 miles away.

I feel it will be worth the trip. If money is a problem you may be able to do like I'll be doing and fly with Angel flight. They take you there and back FREE.

Anyway, if I can be of any help, e-mail me.

God Bless You,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richtersl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richtersl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about changing doctors yet, especially in your area because Lyme Literate ones are not easy to come by in Florida.

What may be to your benefit is to get a second opinion from an LLMD up North who sees Lyme Disease patients on a frequent basis. There are doctors up north who probably see more Lyme patients in a day than an LLMD in Florida may see in a week or more.

Linda

Posts: 749 | From New Hope, PA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my post to lymelady. Some of the same issues.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've switched. My gut told me it was time to do so and that the doctorS couldnt handle my care.

Its up to you when you want to make that move. Sometimes, its the patient and their dissemination, strains, etc and no matter what doctor they see-not much is going to occur any quicker than it already might be.

And sometimes? IT IS the doctor. In my case, two times, it WAS the doctor.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

If you are going to the J clinic in NC, there seem to be a number of people voicing discontent. That's all I know about that.

It seems to me that you have been on a lot of different meds, including the fancy new ones. A year is a long time to give it and it seems to me you should have seen some improvement, so long as the diagnosis is correct.

Have you considered doing something simple and low-tech, namely Bicillin LA and a macrolide such as Zithromaxor Biaxin. That's what I have done and other than taking drugs and occasional herxes, I feel normal most of the time and am currently builing a house (as in up on the roof nailing shingle with a roofing nail gun, etc...).

Bicillin really seems to be emerging as a very effective intervention. More and more LLMDs are using it to good effect. Check the thread that's up today. There is also a Bicillin Poll somewhere in the archives, In it most report it helped them more than anything else did.

I used to live in St. Pete and saw a most wonderful doctor in Clearwater. He was uninformed about Lyme and missed it. However, we have remained in touch and I feel pretty sure he has seen the light. He WOULD listen to you. If you are up to taking a strong role in deciding on your care, he might be able to help you, especially if you wanted to try the above approach, or something equally simple, as he knows about my progress.

Let me know if you are interested and I will e-mail you his name.

David

[This message has been edited by David95928 (edited 02 November 2004).]

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement