LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ex-Model's Lyme Disease Battle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ex-Model's Lyme Disease Battle
Lymelighter
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2004-11-08
Ex-Ridgefield model reveals 71/2-year Lyme disease battle
By Robin DeMerell
NEWS-TIMES CORRESPONDENT

Brooke Landau, a native of Ridgefield, will share the story of her fight to overcome Lyme disease this week on NBC`s "Today" show.
Brooke Landau had it all.
The former high-fashion runway model had just graduated from college and was embarking on a career as an international marketing manager with a Fortune 500 company.

Then a bite from a bug no bigger than a poppy seed changed all that. Her life was put on hold as she spent the next seven years battling a disease that almost cost Landau her life.

A 1990 graduate of Ridgefield High School who lives in California, Landau was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 1995.

"Doctors told me I might not live. But I had a different plan in mind," Landau said. "I've spent the last 71/2 years fighting for my life and my health - and surviving."

Later this week, Landau will tell her story on NBC's Today show on a segment that features survival stories.

"I wanted to talk to others because I would not have been sick for 71/2 years if the insurance companies didn't make money off of sick people. It's business," Landau said. "They were unwilling to help find a cure."

Despite all the warnings, Landau, now a 32-year-old freelance reporter and producer, never worried about contracting Lyme disease. "I lived in Connecticut my whole life with deer in the back yard," Landau said. "I never thought twice about it. It's very scary. I don't think people can realize it can be a death sentence."

While at her parents' home in Ridgefield in 1995, Landau remembered finding a tick on her leg. But the first symptoms didn't appear for more than five months. "I literally took a walk out the door to the mailbox," Landau said. "I didn't think anything of it."

Landau, daughter of Frank Landau, now of Southbury and Dianne Landau of Malibu, Calif., said the disease attacked her suddenly. One day, she was fine and the next day she couldn't move her head or her legs.

"On that fateful day, I was rushed to the (Norwalk) hospital," Landau said. "Doctors there informed me that I would die within 48 hours if I did not undergo an emergency spinal tap. From the tap, the doctors diagnosed me with Lyme disease and spinal meningitis."

She gave up her job and spent the next several months in her parents' Ridgefield home. Every day brought crippling headaches, muscle and joint pain and fatigue. Landau said she often was rushed to Danbury Hospital for emergency treatments.

She experienced short-term memory loss and loss of hearing in her left ear. She began to lose sight in both eyes, developed heart arrhythmia, gallstones and colitis. She lost 30 pounds from her already thin frame - at one point the 6-foot-tall former model weighed 120 pounds.

She has undergone various invasive procedures and treatments that included taking 27 pills a day.

"Yet nothing has restored me to the pain-free condition I once knew," said Landau, who has undergone seven spinal taps and two surgeries.

In 1996, Landau moved to Miami in hopes a warmer climate would lessen her joint pain. But, as the illness progressed, so did the pain.

She eventually met a doctor who Landau said saved her life.

By undergoing experimental treatments five years ago, Landau is able to do everything she could before - including working out at a gym, salsa dancing five days a week and playing volleyball on the beach. "None of which I could do for years," she said.

"Brooke is a fighter," said her father. He remembers when she had several operations as a baby to correct a congenital heart defect. "It made her very tough. As a child, she always knew what she wanted. Her stick-to-it-iveness really showed during her illness. We're proud that she's never given up. But nobody should go through this stuff."

Because she was considered a research subject, she wasn't responsible for the medical costs that mounted to several hundred thousand dollars.

Treatment consisted of pumping high doses of antibiotics into her heart for 24-hours a day for two months. She also underwent 30 days of treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.

"It felt much like lying in a glass-enclosed coffin," she said. "The treatment was torture, but on the last day of treatment, I awoke free of joint pain for the first time in years. My hearing improved, my sight was better and I even regained my short-term memory."

Although she was bedridden for more than a year during treatment, Landau wanted to be productive. She started a non-profit foundation working on her computer in bed. Sponsored by MAC Cosmetics, The Children's Alliance Network (CAN) organizes models and make-up artists to do makeovers for sick children.

"I was doing a lot while I was sick," Landau said. "But I would pay for it. One day of work could put me in the hospital for a week. I really believe that you can't curl up in a ball and let the illness get the best of you."

Since the treatment, Landau considers herself almost cured. The only symptom left is the headaches.

"They say I'm cured and that it's out of my system," Landau said. "They've determined I don't have Lyme disease anymore."

Landau went on to be a television anchor and reporter for CBS and ESPN. She now works as a freelance reporter for ESPN and a freelance producer for E! Entertainment.

The "Today" show opportunity came when she and an NBC reporter were covering the same story.

"Though I will probably have some measure of chronic pain throughout my life, I consider myself among the lucky," Landau said. "Through it all I've found an inner strength to fight and survive."

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a duplicate but it's a great story we can all relate to. I look fwd to seeing her on the Today Show.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know when this will aire? like what day? I'm not a TV watcher, but would like to see it...
Thanks!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nakaa
Member # 6238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nakaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by achey:
Does anyone know when this will aire? like what day? I'm not a TV watcher, but would like to see it...
Thanks!

I posted in the other thread that I had emailed nbc asking when it would air. Hoping they'll reply b4 it actually does! I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Posts: 83 | From Western Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement