LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Texas mosquitos out of control ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas mosquitos out of control ?
lymielu
Member # 5652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize this article isn't about lyme, exactly, but felt there was relevence with the disease spreading saga as we all have come to understand it. The article is speaking of Houston in particular but I know that many areas of the country have mosquito problems. So I thought I'd share it. It is so rare that I actually can offer informative words instead of asking for help, that I actually got goosebumps. Hope it is read by the people can do something about it right from the start! Wouldn't it be nice to head off a problem before it becomes a national hazzard?
Lymielu

Mosquitoes could mutate beyond pesticides' reach..........
County predicts most potent weapon will be obsolete....
Houston-Area Mosquitoes

Pesticides, long the weapon of choice against the nettlesome and sometimes deadly mosquito, are losing their bite.
Harris County's chief mosquito fighter has recommended rotating the spraying of a handful of still-effective pesticides next year to maximize their usefulness. But even with this plan, it's probably a matter of when, not if, mosquitoes mutate beyond the control of pesticides.
"I think, probably within 5 to 10 years, we will see resistance to every pesticide," said Ray Parsons, director of Harris County's Mosquito Control Division. "I'll say this: I'm glad I'm retiring after the first of the year."
Much as bacterial infections have become more difficult to treat because of the overuse and misuse of antibiotics, so too have mosquitoes become resistant to insecticides.
Mosquito control officials note government programs to control mosquitoes have contributed to this resistance, but Parsons said private companies -- spraying at the behest of community and civic associations -- also share a part of the blame.
Unlike the county, which sprays only at specific times to dampen mosquito-borne viruses such as West Nile, private companies spray on a more regular basis to control nuisance mosquitoes, which pose no imminent health threat. And the more exposure mosquitoes endure, the tougher they get.
Parsons and others also maintain that some companies, to save money, dilute their pesticide, which not only doesn't kill mosquitoes, it promotes resistance in the offspring of survivors.
"Oh, I have no question that this is happening," said Raleigh Jenkins, owner of ABC Pest, Pool & Lawn Services, one of the largest pesticide companies in Houston. Jenkins said his trucks spray at the rate recommended by label pesticide labels.
He says, however, that some of his competitors are not. Some private bids to municipalities and communities are lower than the actual cost of the pesticides, Jenkins said. To make money on these cheap bids, he said, the product has to be diluted.
"I've heard rumors of this, but I have never heard of anyone being found doing it," said Ken Myers, executive director of the Texas Pest Control Association.
Weekly spraying common
Private spraying is common in Houston. Of the more than 100 residential communities that CIA Services manages in the greater Houston area, about 20 percent choose to regularly fog for mosquitoes, said the company's president, Ralph Troiano.
Most communities spray once a week from April to October, he said. Troiano said he asks spraying companies to spread pesticides at the label-recommended rate, but admitted it is nearly impossible to determine whether they comply.
"The most important thing is whether or not residents find it effective," he said. "From the feedback we receive, residents can tell when we're spraying, and when we're not. They think it's pretty effective."
Public and private sprayers have two types of pesticides at their disposal that can safely be sprayed into residential communities: organophosphates, a group of closely related pesticides that includes malathion; and a synthetic form of pyrethrins, which are derived from chrysanthemum flowers.
"There are a lot of different kinds of pesticides, of course, but there aren't a lot of pesticides that you can apply indiscriminately," said Patricia Pietrantonio, an entomologist at Texas A&M University.
Malathion came into widespread use nearly half a century ago. As mosquitoes developed a resistance, communities turned to pyrethrins. This year, Harris County sprayed 2 million acres with a pyrethrin commercially sold as Scourge.
Jim Olson, another Texas A&M entomologist, said there are few promising pesticides under development that could safely be widely sprayed. That's why maximizing the effectiveness of the current pesticides is critical, he said.
Nurturing a susceptibility
Pietrantonio and Olson have begun a study of mosquito resistance in Harris County, collecting thousands of larvae from Culex mosquitoes, the carrier of West Nile. They will raise the mosquitoes and then test whether genetic mutations have made them resistant to the pyrethrins used by the county.
About six years ago Pietrantonio led a similar study that determined a significant number of the insects were no longer susceptible to malathion.
Scientists now believe most mosquitoes may have regained a susceptibility to malathion. The reason, they say, is that it is difficult for a mosquito to block more than one type of pesticide.
The trick is to try to nurture this susceptibility and breed the vulnerability to at least one type of pesticide back into the population.
So next year, in Harris County, Parsons said he has recommended that the county rotate among spraying with malathion and two different types of pyrethrins. This targeted spraying should extend the useful lifetimes of the chemicals.
Scientists say an unfortunate byproduct of all spraying is that the chemicals will eventually only kill those mosquitoes that have no resistance at all. With no reproduction from this desirable group, then, it will become increasingly difficult to breed susceptibility back into the population.
"It's pretty well proven that dead mosquitoes can't reproduce," Olson said. "That's an Aggie paradigm right there."

[email protected]

Posts: 44 | From San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement