LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Lyme cause dry eyes, dehydration?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Lyme cause dry eyes, dehydration?
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've asked my LLMD but he's not sure. He told me to drink more H20 & see an Optho. Has anyone else experienced dry eyes, fluid retention, or other dry symptoms?
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes I had this, became severe.
Lungs became affected too.

Was off antibiotics when I got this symptom... had taken a break from the antibiotics for 75 days, and well, the lyme came back, developed this symptom, dont know why. Never had it before.

Went on the azithromycin and flagyl for 2 months, then this stopped working, and went on the the Doxycycline.

My dryness has improved, very much, but still get some days where it comes back, but not as bad. I hope it goes away completely.

Candida can cause this too, if you think it can be candida, I would try the nystatin, then over to the diflucan if you need it.

I read a woman had this in a candida book, and after nystatin, long term, it went away.

Also, lyme causes this, for me it was lyme... scary.

I also read somewhere on the net, that bartonella can get into the glands that produce saliva, so possibly bartonella MAY cause this, not sure.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Foggy,

Dry eyes is very common with Lyme Disease. Lyme is particularly good at messing with the eyes.

Bb has also been found in tears.

I use Opcon-A made by Bausch & Lomb. It was recommended by an opthomologist. Burns when it goes in but really helps.

The LL Opthomologist in PA does a tear test on your first visit. Says that many Lyme patients have dry eyes.

Corgilla

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Trish & Corgilla for the tid bits. This symptom came about in the last year, which is strange since I've had Lyme for years.

My Optho gave me an Rx for Restasis, which he's had good success with. He said it's brand new. I'm going to aks my LLMD id it's OK to use it.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a long time, I thought the "eye headaches" I had were just lyme symptoms. But two different opthamologists, who were recommended by my LLMD, said the aching behind the eyes was a classic symptom of dry eyes. When I finally started using the eye drops regularly--that is before the eyes started aching--the eye ache improved dramatically. (The eye docs said if you wait till the eyes hurt, it is too late as it builds up over time) Mine are always worse in summer.

As the aching started with the lyme disease, I had assumed it wasa lyme symptom. However, apparently, it was the lyme that caused the dry eyes which resulted in the pain behind the eyes. I just use over the counter drops for dry eyes.

Best wishes!

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had dry eyes for as long as I can remember, and that's as long as I've had Lyme Disease. I go through a bottle of TheraTears every two or three weeks.

Foggy - Please let us know if you have success with Restasis. I saw it advertised on tv. That makes me skeptical, but you never know.

Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy, I'll have to get back to you on this one. I am a little dehydrated right now and need a long drink of water.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Foggy.

Yes, I have dry eyes. I use Systane over the counter, it works good.

Beverly

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have that problem, but have heard of it.

Really the best long term treatment is to have plugs put in.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my daughter has the lyme dry eyes too..Her ll eye dr has her on Restatis..
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

lymemomtooo, did your LLMD know your daughter is on Restasis? While not a steroid, it is a immunosuppresant.
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this too, and get the pain with it. I don't like the drops but use them when I have too. As a result my rheumie is checking me for sjorgens symdrome, will see him soon.

When the heat comes on I strivel up like an old prune, my skin starts flaking. Have to drink my 8 glasses or I feel it.

Lymiecanuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canuck, ay, my LLMD also tested me for sjorgens and gave me an ANA and they were both neg.

I hear you on the 8 glasses of H20 ay. I'd really like to put back a few Molsons, put on some Rush, ay, eat a few Jelly doughnuts, and watch some hockey, ay?

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement