LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weight Loss??????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight Loss??????
Lymie10/03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lymie10/03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed that I have gained some weight. I would really like to loose some and I was wondering-

What have any of you guys who gained weight-done to loose some weight??

Thanks

Jenn

Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdcallen
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdcallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI,
Some medications have weight gain as a side effect. Maybe that is contributing to the problem. Also you want to rule out any swelling around the feet and ankles.

Otherwise, I have been losing weight since on lyme treatment from eating no sugar and greatly reduced carbs. In fact, in my whole life of dieting nothing has worked like cutting out the sugar. Not very pleasant I must admit but you get used to it.

If you are already doing this and still gaining weight talk to your doctor.
Good luck
CAthy

Posts: 71 | From Warren, Mi, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the National Registry of Weight Loss through Brown University. I lost 150 lbs 7 years ago.

I became a vegetarian and ate ALL CARBS. I also started lifting weights.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymie10/03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymie10/03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to start eating things with No sugars and greatly reduced carbs-cause I have gained weight since I stopped it before-but....

What foods do you eat that I can get?? It's hard shopping so if anyone could give me any advice-it would help when I'm in the store!!

Thanks guys!!

Jenn

Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veggies that are good: all leafy greens, lettuces (except iceberg--no nutrition),kale, collards, etc. Leeks,limited onions,green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, brussell sprouts, mushrooms,ummmmm look on low car sites on the web......all those veggies are good for us. Stay away from starchy veggies i.e potatoes,peas.

Eat clean meat if you can afford it. Even regualr groceries are starting to carry it. Clean means no hormones or antibiotics in the meat.

Exercise if you can . Evena walkaround the block helps if that is all you can muster.

I, like Kara, lost 125 lbs. 6 years ago. Diet and exercise. A good rule of thumb is to eat food as close to the source as possible. Apples are better than apple sauce. Basically, eat whole non-processed foods. CUT OUT flour, potatoes, sugar. A very small amount of whole grain brown rice is ok but limit the amount.

If it has something in it you can't pronounce or never heard of....don't eat it.

Good luck,
robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymie10/03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymie10/03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!!

I've had a hard time trying to figure out what to eat.

And CONGRATULATIONS!! for those of you who lost so much weight. I know it is hard to do that as my mom is trying to loose weight and it's REALLY hard.

I'm going to try some of these things you guys have told me.

Thanks

Jenn

beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymie:

I know that carbs, especially sugars, are hard to give up. Here's a tip. It's not perfect but helps with the sugar & carb cravings.

I make a batch of granola once a week using a variety of organic nuts, unsweetened coconut & a bit of grains. I sweeten it with stevia or a mixture of stevia and food grade vegetable glycerine. You can also add Inulin to sweeten it. Inulin is an FOS, which is good for replenishing bacteria (the good kind).

Here's a typical recipe. Feel free to improvise:

1/4 cup canola or walnut oil
1/4 cup pure water
1 tsp vanilla or maple extract
1/8 cup veg. glycerine (can skip this)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup rolled rye or spelt or kamut (or use 1 cup of the oats)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup +/- of sesame seeds or flax meal (or seeds) for extra fiber
cinnamon (I like lots)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. pure stevia extract (start with 1/4 - you can add more after baking if needed).

Mix this all up so that it is pretty damp, add more oil & water if needed.

Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 250-275 for 1 hour to 1.5 hours (until coconut starts to brown). Flip with a spatula a couple of times while baking.

When this cools you can store it in some glass jars. I add a few spoonfuls of the granols to plain yogurt & sometimes toss in some unsweetened carob chips. This gives you the probiotics you need from the yogurt, the fiber you need to keep things moving, just enough carbs to fill you up and, sweetness to curb the sugar cravings.

I have lost 56 pounds. I eat this just about every day as a dessert or quick breakfast. It really fills me up. If you don't have Candida issues, you can add dried or fresh berries.

Have fun.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement