LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dec.3rd...remove root canal, etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dec.3rd...remove root canal, etc.
b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm scheduled to see a Dentist in St. Louis, Missouri on Dec 2nd for x-rays and consultation. Dec. 3rd they will remove my other root canal and probably have to cut away some dead bone.

Will also either remove all my amalgams and replace them or {my preference at this point} just take all my teeth out and make upper and lower plates. All the teeth I have actually seem to be good, but after all this sickness, I just want them out...if he will only agree. Don't want any more problems with them ever again.

I'm only 44 and figure this will sound ridiculous to some of you but I am so desperate to get better. My teeth are of very little significance in comparison with my life.

Any input is certainly welcome. I think I have waited far to long to take care of the bacteria and mercury, etc. in my mouth. I feel as if it's held back my recovery.

Thanks for listening and I hope you'll respond if you like. God Bless all of you,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
removing all your teeth is just the start of more problems.
the effect you get by removing teeth or amalgams is not long term and is due to a placebo effect, you think it will help so you get better for a little while.
there is nothing wrong with dentistry done correctly.
why don't you have your knees remved and replaced because they hurt? because it is not sound judgment.
prior to removing amalgams you must have a heavy metals test to see if you are subject to mercury toxicity.
next the test must be done without chelating agents since this is the technique holistic quacks use to chelate all the mercury in your body and concentrate it in the urine. it is not an accurate test since the body does have some mercury in it.
most mercury toxicity comes from other sources than amalgam. an amalgam uses 50% mercury and 50% silver, when combined they form a new molecule that is totally different than the 2 individual alloys.
like copper and tin make brass all metals totally different.
most mercury source is from fish, shellfish and seafood.
i was going to go fishing in the finger lakes of new yourk and went to get a licence.nice clean clear water.
when reading the book they give you i read that you should only eat 1 salmon a month from the lakes and none for pregnant woman.
i ran out of the office, no more fishing for me in Rochester.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I don't have a great answer for you unfortunately.

I have seen a mercury free dentist for the past year but haven't removed my amalgams...I don't feel well enough to do it.

There's so much controversy about that issue I'm just not sure.

Sometimes I feel very skeptical of mercury free dentists. My daughter who is eight has no fillings and went to see my dentist.

He said she needed all teeth that had been sealed to be redone and also told me she has 3 cavitites. I thought that was very strange. She brushes and flosses everyday and I decided to take her back to the dentist who did her sealants. He rechecked her and said she has no cavities and fixed her sealents which needed minimal repair at no charge to me.

Before you do any major dental work, get a second opinion just to be sure.

Doc Dave what in your opinion is the most accurate test for detecting mercury? I had a hair analysis done in 2002 and it showed I had high levels of mercury.

Just not sure what to think.

Best of luck!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have any amalgams removed, necrotic jaw cavitations, etc.....then remove the mercury, etc.

Removing all of your teeth at the same time for just an 'effect'...nope...nadda.....

I disagree with Doc on the urine tests with provocation......it's equal to saying;
just look at the field...no pheasants in there...however-send in a dog, and they fly out...

By using a chelating agent you pull out the stuff that is hiding in there, otherwise how would you know what has attached to your tissues and bones?

Here is a LLMD's view of this; http://www.drcharlescrist.com/toxicmetalelevations.htm

Trout

PS....keep your pearly whites as long as you can....pull them out only when needed.

[This message has been edited by troutscout (edited 13 November 2004).]

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

hair testing is not accurate
in fact no testing is acccurate.read this article,many people on lymenet are being taking for lots of money from quacks that no nothing about body chemistry and the physical makeup of the body.
a blood and urine sample are the only accurate tests for actual circulating mercury and heavy metals.
many,many people on this forum are chelating without necessary cause and most are probably not getting better.
i know i am going to get beat to death with this post,but there is a very high placebo effect on detoxing and removal of amalgams.
dentists should have the highest mercury levels in the country due to its high use for 100 years, yet most dentists in the country have normal mercury levels.dentists also deal with lead everyday taking xrays and there is no lead poisioning among dentists either.SO GO AHEAD AND TAKE YOUR SHOTS AT ME, I'M ALREADY ON THE FLOOR SO YOU DON'T HAVE FAR TO BEAT ME DOWN.
DOCDAVE http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/mercurytests.html

fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pam,

Boy, do I understand your situation! I have always had cavity-prone teeth and have had extensive dental work in my 37 yrs. I sometimes wish I could get them all pulled and get dentures too. I have an irrational fear of going to the dentist and when I have to go I have panic attacks the day of, and in the chair. Your post reminded me of myself!

My biological dentist is great. He was the only dentist who said, hey, you dont need to suffer anxiety like this! He always gives me nitrous oxide gas along with numbing shots and, bam, the visit is over!! Now I go often.

But I did neglect going to any dentist for 5 years in a row (sick with lyme, scared). I ended up with an abscess in one molar and it got so bad (I ignored it for 6 months - bad bad bad thing to do) - and the infection got down into the bone. A year ago I had it pulled by the oral surgeon my bio. dentist recommended and they cut away some of the bone, too.

I just wanted to say that the procedure isn't that bad to recover from!! I only had to take one pain pill and then only some Tylenol for the following 4 or 5 days. It really wasn't painful or uncomfortable.

Also, before the extraction, the oral surgeon gave me the option of taking "light" anesthesia. I jumped for joy!! They inserted an IV and put in anesthesia but as soon as the surgery is done you come right out of it and are pretty alert. I went totally under and came right out of it, just a little dizzy and tired for a few hours. It would have cost $150 or so if insurance didn't cover it, but my dental insurance ended up covering it! I was never so glad to have this option. I'd ask about it if you have dental insurance. It took the misery and anxiety out of the whole thing.

I had another molar pulled (I won't have root canals anymore) just 2 weeks ago and it also went well. I'll replace them with bridges, I guess.

Just so you know, I had all my amalgams out and white fillings put in. I'm glad I did. Each tooth had decay under the old metal fillings so I needed them out anyhow. I felt better having all the precautions for mercury removal in place by my biological dentest because I had 12 metal fillings to replace altogether (over a 6 month timeframe). That would have been a lot of mercury going into me by a regular dentist.

All the while I had to take chlorella and a bunch of other immune system building stuff. Then, chlorella + cilantro after that for several months. Finally, after all metal fillings were replaced, I went to the holistic doctor I was referred to for heavy metals testing. I tested negative for all metals. "Non-detectable" for all. Done by Doctor's Data lab in Chicago. I had the 24-hour urine challenge test.

Hmmm...on one hand I'm glad I have good-to-go teeth without mercury fillings in them, and, I have no mercury. But, I wonder if I ever did have mercury to begin with?? Maybe I did, and the 9 months of chlorella and then chlorella and cilantro took care of what I had? I only wish I had a beginning mercury test and then an ending test. I'm sure my family thinks I went through all the trouble and expense for nothing.

I hope all goes well with your extraction!

Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lots of experience on this subject, I would not pull a healthy tooth.

I struggled a long time with Lyme Disease and had no great improvement until I removed all metals and all bad teeth and all dead teeth (13 root canals). The jaw bones were all but destroyed from the dental toxins (thioether and mercaptan) produced by the dead root canals. Infected wisdom tooth sites from incomplete removal with infection left behind that moves to the next tooth, etc. I detoxed for quite some time - mercury was not a huge problem, but palladium (from crowns) was.

I am totally well and healthy today because I got rid of all crowns, bridges, root canals - which meant all teeth.

I have a wonderful set of porcellan teeth - I am not even aware that they are not my own - I love to chew nuts, apples, bread crusts, etc. It took me a long time to find the denturist that was capable of making a denture that I did not have to remove before eating because they would hurt too much. Denture-making is one of the saddest chapters of dentistry! But I guess - the attitude - who cares - it's just for old people.......... I found a dentist who knows how to make a denture even if there is little jawbone left!

My husband went the same route. Not until removal of the dental infections that neither of us knew we had, because they did not cause any pain, did he get out of his wheelchair and tossed his walker and cane. He was able to walk and drive again seven months after removing the different metals and the infected jawbone! Five different metals in a mouth and saliva created a lot electricity. Lyme and company flourishes in that unhealthy bioterrain. We stalled several years before doing this even though our doctor tried to gently nudge us toward it. But all the antibiotics and alternative treatments did not bring lasting improvement until the teeth were addressed. It takes an oral surgeon that knows how, without endangering a patient any further. We have found such a guy.

I do not say it was easy on us or our pocketbook. But we are both happy and healthy now and can live a full life. My husband is 79 and I am not far behind!

Health of Canada, the arm of the Canadian government that does such surveys, did a lengthy published survey several years ago regarding the health of Canadian dentists.
The result - 22% of Canadian dentists are on disability! Maybe that will give you an idea of the toxicity situation that affects dentists. Every dentist that I know and have gotten to know during the last few years got into doing "mercury-free dentistry" because he/she discovered they were ill or got out of the business alltogether because they were ill. Amazingly, almost everyone of them also has or had Lyme Disease!

Sorry, Doc, I disagree with practically everything you have posted on Lymenet regarding dentistry and mercury.

Again, I would not pull a healthy tooth, but make sure you see a knowledgable dentist/oral surgeon that can identify a sick tooth and a healthy tooth and healthy jawbone on an x-ray. Sorry to say, they are scarce.

On the other hand, knowing what I know now, I would never again move mountains to save a tooth or teeth; or even consider implants or such; because eventually you end up with so little healthy jawbone that wearing a denture becomes even more difficult because there is no good bone left to hold onto. The would also never consider a root canal, no matter what. I would also not cut down a healthy tooth for a bridge. Even for one missing tooth, I would instead consider a partial.

It is without a doubt that my husband and I conquered Lyme because we paid attention to our teeth and heavy metal toxicity. I know many patients who did the same. Many a breast cancer has disappeared when the teeth are addressed. My doctor's favorite saying is ---80% of all disease starts in the mouth.

I wish all of you well and a healthy mouth.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I am about to say... I WISH that someone had told me this before I had my seven mercury fillings out.

Get one out, and wait at least 6 weeks, see how you do. Then remove another one.

I had all 7 removed in about 3-4 months, and about 2 weeks after the last one was removed, by a biological dentist using all precautions...
I started to get shooting pains all over the body, the head. The pain was worse then lyme herxing. I was so sick words could never explain... kinda like when we herx, a real killer of a herx, no one understands except another sick lymie.

You may be fine, but really, dont rush out and do this. Be careful.

Also, if you have good teeth, why remove all them?

Also, I had a root canal out... deadly as well. I had a ND do this test on the tooth, and he had said it was toxic, causing a real problem with the immune system.
The tooth looked fabulous, very front tooth, had been a root canal for about 20 years. When I had the root canal out, it was cleaned, the peridontal ligaminet was removed, something liek this, the dentist was highly recommended... and so on.
anyways, he removed many, I was his FIRST patient to get so sick. I did not get sick until 2 weeks after removal. 2 weeks after the removal of it, I woke up one Am, and the lymph nodes in my grouin were swollen about 1.5 inches. HUGE like little golf balls, about 4 of them. It was like some
freaky show when I looked downthere.
I then tried to get out of bed, and could not, could not lift my back... the pain, all the way down the spine, and back....lower back. I had to crawl to the washroom. Was on 6 tylenol a day so I could work, 5 cups of coffee at work to keep me awake to do my job... then home to bed.
Chronic fatigue... for 2 months from this tooth.
WHY? I dont know, possibly I was so toxic with lyme... or maybe just the tooth.

I had this all done about 5 years ago, I had not done any lyme treatment. I still over the years got sicker.

POSSIBLY I would not have gotten sick from the root canal if I was not so lyme toxic.
The mercury, I am allergic to it, had a test done later.

careful, I wanted to get well right away back then, and so rushed out and did this.
wrong move.

One out, wait 6 weeks, see how you do.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

yes gigi 20% of canadian dentists are on disability and so are 20% of american dentists.
almost all are disabled due to motor function problems related to occupation. i had bilateral ulnar neurapathy and disabled because of lack of use of hands.
almost nobody is disabled because of mercury poisoning, so your 20% doesn't mean squat if you don't have the real statitics.
most dentist go out from carple tunnel or arthritis and many go out from heart attachs and diabetes. i have never heard of any dentist,and i know about 2,000 0n disabilty that went out from mercury toxicity.

b333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for b333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to post to this one a little bit later. Getting to tired, but I do appreciate all the responses.

God Bless You,

Pam

Posts: 339 | From mountains of Va. USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magdalena
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6096

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Magdalena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, GiGi! You just answered my question!

The proof is in the pudding.

You and your husband recovering from an insidious illness and getting on with life is proof enough for me.

For the benefit of everyone else reading this post and the right to maintain their views, I realize that not everyone is the same. You may or may not agree with GiGi, but she has recovered and RECOVERY is my goal!

I applaud you, GiGi and your husband!

May you both continue in health,

Maggie

Posts: 400 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam,
don't have all your teeth removed! my llmd is into holistic healing along with western medicine. she told me she has a patient, who in a desperate attempt to get well, did have all his teeth removed. didn't help.

having the root canals out are a different story. i have recent one that hurts, and i want that out. my tow front teeth had root canals about 35 yrs ago. they do not hurt. still looking for a good bio dentist in my area if anyone knows one. (phila, bucks co. PA /trenton, princeton NJ area).

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Just pulling a tooth or removing a tooth or teeth is not going to be satisfactory. The area surrounding an infected tooth has to be cleaned "reamed" out in order not to leave any infection behind to spread to the next teeth. That usually includes the jawbone.

After successful removal by an oral surgeon that is careful not to do any damage to the surrounding nerves, the area needs to regenerate, getting the remaining toxins out, and that takes time. It is not going to happen overnight. Only then will the bacteria (Lyme, etc.) that has found a comfortable home in that contaminated area be leaving. While the area is infected, the blood supply is limited. The bugs survive beautifully without blood and oxygen. When that is reestablished, the area can heal.

Dental toxins are the worst especially affecting the brain function.

Read here about Prof. Boyd Haley, the country's expert on this subject. Do a search on the internet with his name only and you will find sound info. Be sure to read about his extensive research into root canals and the damage they do.

By the way, you cannot "detox" a root canal. It has been tried to use different fillings, etc. - they are still a dead tooth spreading deadly poison into the body.

CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY FROM AMERICA'S TOP MERCURY SCIENTIST, BOYD ...
... WHAT DOES AMERICA'S TOP LEADING MERCURY SCIENTIST, BOYD HALEY, PhD HAVE TO SAY
ABOUT MERCURY AMALGAM FILLINGS? LEADING MERCURY SCIENTIST, DR. ... www.bikerchick.freehomepage.com/custom4.html - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

DENTAL AMALGAM MERCURY SYNDROME
... Dental Lab web site( Dr. Boyd Haley, Chairman, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Kentucky) www.altcorp.com (root canals, cavitations, mercury, tests for root canal ... www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/damspr11.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Root Canals
... ALT Research Founded by Dr. Boyd Haley. Hugnet Research in Toxicity Dr. Hal Huggins.
ToothWisdom.net. Root Canals, Extractions & Mercury Amalgam Fillings. ...
melanie2.50megs.com/rootcanals.htm - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

NICO
... The results of recent research of Dr. Boyd Haley (Chairman, Department of Chemistry,
University of Kentucky) show that ... Do root canals also cause NICO lesions? ... www.medical-library.net/sites/_cavitations.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

Root Canals
Root Canals. Boyd Haley on Root Canals. ...
tuberose.com/Root_Canals.html - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

Natural Dental Health
... If the detrimental effects of root canals on the ... triggered by the presence of
root-canaled teeth ... Professor Boyd Haley, Chair of the Chemistry Department at the ...
tuberose.com/Dental_health.html - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

Ask Dr Stoll - Mercury Toxicity post archive
... (18); June 22, 2001 - Professor Boyd Haley Rebuts ADA in Letter to Rep. ... (2); January
05, 1999 - do root canals and cavitations threaten immune system? ...
askwaltstollmd.com/archives/mercury.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Please visit the Tashi Palkhiel web site
... Well worth the time to brouse through for masses of scientific information. It is
the home of Prof. Boyd Haley. Root Canal Cover Up. The Gerson Institute. ... www.zip.com.au/~rgammal/LinksFramesetMain.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Natural Horizons Wellness Center - Specialities
... We now find that the walls of a root canal tooth can house microorganisms that ... 75%
of all RCT's have some toxicity according to the research by Dr Boyd Haley). ... www.naturalhorizonswellness.com/johnson2.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Biologic Root Canal
... to research by Dr. Boyd Haley of the University of Kentucky, 75% of root canal teeth
have residual bacterial infections remaining in the dentinal tubules. ... www.icnr.com/biologicaldentistry/ biologicalrootcanal.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Dentistry Health
... Click on www.altcorp.com , click on search window for root canal in this
website by Dr. Boyd Haley and Dr. Curt Pendergrass. What ... www.dentistryhealth.com/rescued.html - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 15 November 2004).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

gigi
you are taking your facts from a man that has no medical backround whatsoever.
his credentials are very suspect and you are telling everybody that he is god.
well your quite wrong, he is not the leading expert in the field, and there are many research projects being done at dental schools and medical schools with "real researchers with qualified credentials that will dispute all of your chemist's theories.
a major in chemistry, which i have by the way does not make you qualified to do research in microbiology, dental materials, biochemistry and genetics. there are well respected researcher in all these fields and many work for the ADA or Endodontic society.many have 20-30 yeras experence in their fields and are experts with multiple phd's and doctorate degrees.
you must know your source of information,prior to making ablanket statement that everything in dentistry is bad.The Ada and associated specialty associations have been around for 50 years and are constantly doing research on all these fields. try looking at the dental professional journals prior to looking at some quacks work in kentucky. anybody can do research and have a website. his is for monitary gain and nothing else. he uses peoples fears to sell what he wants.

Lyma Bean
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
docdave-

The same could be said about the AMA but we all know where they've gotten us

Just like with lyme disease, there is a "Camp A" and a "Camp B" in denistry.

I do know that Baylor College of Denistry is phasing out amalgam fillings- wonder why?

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand both sides of this issue. My dentist is not considered a "biological dentist" but, she does replace bad fillings with the neweer non-metal materials. It's expensive. She only does replaces when it is absolutely necessary. She thinks the mercury toxicity is a combination of eating toxic fish and MAYBE the amalgam fillings.

There is a well-known biological dentist here in the northeast who was recently sued for "unnecessary" removal of amalgam fillings. Many of his patients became quite ill from the proceedure and went quite broke.

I think one should take it slow and with caution.

MHO.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam, I had one root canal; never again.

I have a hiatal hernia _+ acid reflex; I almost passed out since they lower the chair to the floor of this root canalist!

Best wishes. I have a denture for my 3 front teeth. Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Major European countries have banned the use of Amalgam for fillings. They have also banned the use of the coloring agent Mercury in the pinkish material that is used for partials and full dentures. It's against the law! Anyone still wondering why?

Filling A Need For Mercury-Amalgam Facts
By Jeff Clark & Sandy Duffy
Consumers for Dental Choice NW
(download printable PDF version of this article)

Dentistry has perpetrated an uncontrolled multi-generational mercury experiment on the American people. Mercury-amalgam dental fillings have never been subjected to the kind of regulatory scrutiny and approval process demanded of all modern drugs and medical devices to prove safety. Only in the last few years have controlled experiments with animals been conducted by non-dentists in an attempt to estimate what we humans have already been experiencing over the past 150+ years of mercury-amalgam.

The American Dental Association's (ADA) origin derives from the controversy of using mercury for tooth fillings. Before mercury-amalgam became the standard of dental practice only the rich could afford gold fillings -- the rest of us went to the barber for tooth extraction. Mercury-amalgam enabled dentists to place many more much lower costing tooth fillings per day. This efficiency produced an ever-widening number of people who could afford professional dental services.

The division that killed the original dental association and formed today's ADA was between those who were concerned for the public's health from the poisonous mercury release, and those who had dollar signs in their eyes [1]. Money won.

Until this day dentistry has used marketing, political influence, and control of regulatory boards at all levels to impose its self-serving economic view that mercury-amalgam is completely safe. The science that proves safety is still not forthcoming from the ADA, nor from dental schools, nor from mercury-amalgam manufacturers.

Marketing has long been dentistry's first line of defense for its use of mercury. The true nature of mercury-amalgam has been disguised with the soothing label "silver filling". Efforts to gain the public's trust and confidence have imposed high psychological barriers. For many people conditioned to trusting, it is too unbelievable, too egregious to even consider the possibility that their dentist has been poisoning them with mercury.

Science has not been the driving force behind the ADA's public information on mercury release. When asked about the safety of mercury amalgam the response one always heard previously, and can still hear today in many dental offices is: "once set, the mercury becomes completely stable and locked up, it doesn't leak out". After it was unequivocally demonstrated that mercury vapor continuously escapes from mercury-amalgam fillings the ADA repositioned itself and now claims: "the small amount of mercury released from amalgam restorations, especially during placement and removal, has not been shown to cause any adverse health effects." [2]

This last position statement made in 1997 is the one we are living under today, adopted by the dentists at the ADA, FDI World Dental Federation, and the World Health Organization in a consensus agreement.

This position is at odds with what scientists independent of the dental industry have been learning by studying amalgam mercury exposure and uptake in humans and animals.

Mercury escapes from amalgam and is taken up by the human as metallic vapor, metallic vapor and ionic mercury dissolved in saliva, and as unknown mercury species directly through the tooth pulp and root into the bloodstream.[3] Ionic mercury in saliva is converted to methylmercury.[4]

The more competent human studies on exposure have looked at the amount of mercury vapor in an individual's mouth, mercury in their saliva, mercury in their urine and feces, and compared that to individuals who have never had any mercury-amalgam fillings. There is an extreme range of dental mercury exposure and uptake from person to person. The high end of the range reaches 100 micrograms of mercury uptake per day in a single individual. That any individuals can be found with such high daily mercury exposure and uptake from their mercury-amalgam dental fillings is cause for alarm.[5] [6] [7] [8]

Animal experiments with amalgam produce further cause for alarm. There are genetically determined susceptibilities to mercury-caused systemic illness. Some animal strains are highly sensitive with quite noticeable trace mineral disturbances and immune system activation after mercury-amalgams are placed into their teeth. Other strains are highly resistant with only small pathological changes observed in response to mercury-amalgam.[9]

In genetically susceptible animals mercury concentrations in the same range as received from mercury-amalgams have been found to cause autoimmune disease, inhibiting and disturbing immune system functions.[10] [11] [12] [13] [14]

Mercury concentrations as received from mercury-amalgam are toxic to human brain cells forming neurofibrillar tangles, amyloid placques and causing tau phosphorylation in susceptible tissue cultures. [15] [16] [17] These three phenomena are the primary diagnostic characteristics a pathologist looks for in a deceased person's brain to confirm a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease.

Mercury travels from amalgam fillings into the jaw, gut, liver, kidneys, glands and brain, crosses the placenta to the fetus, and is found in mother's milk.[18] [19] [20] [21] [22]

Dental mercury exposure in the genetically diverse and free living human population has been an uncontrolled experiment. This makes it presently difficult to prove in the absolute scientific sense that dental amalgam directly causes human health conditions beyond contact allergy and oral lichen planus. [23] [24]

This situation will change over time as genetic markers are identified for predisposition to autoimmune diseases such as MS [25], ALS [26], Lupus [27], and degenerative diseases such as Alzheimers [28] -- allowing meaningful mercury -amalgam case-control studies to be conducted within these susceptible sub-populations of humans.

New diagnostic tests characterizing human immune cells are already showing a strong correlation between immune activation against dental mercury and chronic fatigue syndromes.[29]

Young athletes that die suddenly from Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy have been shown to have 22,000 times as much mercury in their heart tissues as do patients with other cardiac conditions. [30]

Meanwhile there is an ever growing number of case reports of people receiving spontaneous remissions from a wide range of idiopathic maladies -- primarily by having mercury-amalgam dental fillings safely removed from their teeth. These experiences have led to the formation of patients' groups such as "Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome" (DAMS). [31]

These case reports and the current scientific evidence cry out that there is a grievous problem with mercury-amalgam dental fillings. The Hippocratic Oath commits all dentists to the conservative approach of "first do no harm". Mercury-amalgam dentistry has systematically not been living up to this pledge. The ADA cannot now reverse its position on safety without admitting fault and incurring enormous financial liability for itself and its members. Dentistry's self-serving negligence and dishonesty with mercury-amalgam "silver" fillings has put us and our children at risk.

The United States needs to pass laws to ban mercury dental fillings as soon as possible. Until that legislation is signed, the public must have the right to know about the mercury before it is placed into their teeth, to choose non-mercury fillings, and to pay the same out of pocket fee for non-mercury fillings as they would for a mercury-amalgam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References

1 Hardy James E, D.M.D.; "Dentistry: Stepping Out of the 1830'S"; http://www.davidhoward.com.au/Article4.html

2 ADA Statement on Dental Amalgam; http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/issues/statements/amalgam.html

3 Engqvist et al.,"Speciation of mercury excreted in feces from individuals with amalgam fillings.", Arch Environ Health, 53(3):205-13, (May-Jun 1998)

4 Leistevuo J et al., "Dental amalgam fillings and the amount of organic mercury in human saliva.", Caries Res, 35(3):163-6 (2001 May-Jun)

5 Skare et. al, "Human exposure to mercury and silver released from dental amalgam", Archives of Environmental Health: 49(5):384-94, (Sept-Oct.,1994)

6 Weiner JA, Nylander M., "An estimation of the uptake of mercury from amalgam fillings based on urinary excretion of mercury in Swedish subjects", Sci Total Environ, 168(3):255-65, (Jun 30, 1995)

7 Barregard L, et al., "People with high mercury uptake from their own dental amalgam fillings."; Occup Environ Med, 52(2):124-8, (Feb, 1995)

8 Langworth S, Stromberg R., "A case of high mercury exposure from dental amalgam", Eur J Oral Sci, 104(3):320-1, (Jun 1996)

9 Hultman et al, "Activation of the immune system and systemic immune-complex deposits in Brown Norway rats with dental amalgam restorations", J Dent Res, 77(6):1415-25, (Jun 1998)

10 Abedi-Valugerdi M, Hansson M, Moller G., "Genetic control of resistance to mercury-induced immune/autoimmune activation", Scand J Immunol, 54(1-2):190-7 (Jul-Aug 2001)

11 Bigazzi PE., "Metals and kidney autoimmunity", Environ Health Perspect, 107 Suppl 5:753-65, (Oct 1999)

12 Bagenstose LM, et al, "Murine mercury-induced autoimmunity: a model of chemically related autoimmunity in humans", Immunol Res, 20(1):67-78, (1999)

13 Johansson U, et al, "The genotype determines the B cell response in mercury-treated mice", Int Arch Allergy Immunol, 116(4):295-305, (Aug 1998)

14 Moszczynski P, "Mercury compounds and the immune system: a review", Int J Occup Med Environ Health, 10(3):247-58, (1997)

15 Olivieri G, et al, "Mercury induces cell cytotoxicity and oxidative stress and increases beta-amyloid secretion and tau phosphorylation in SHSY5Y neuroblastoma cells", J Neurochem, 74(1):231-6, (Jan 2000)

16 Pendergrass JC, Haley BE, "Inhibition of brain tubulin-guanosine 5'-triphosphate interactions by mercury: similarity to observations in Alzheimer's diseased brain", Met Ions Biol Syst, 34:461-78, (1997)

17 Pendergrass JC, et al., "Mercury vapor inhalation inhibits binding of GTP to tubulin in rat brain: similarity to a molecular lesion in Alzheimer diseased brain", Neurotoxicology, 18(2):315-24, (1997)

18 Vimy MJ, et al., "Mercury from maternal "silver" tooth fillings in sheep and human breast milk. A source of neonatal exposure", Biol Trace Elem Res, 56(2):143-52, (Feb 1997)

19 Takahashi Y, et al., "Release of mercury from dental amalgam fillings in pregnant rats and distribution of mercury in maternal and fetal tissues" Toxicology, 21;163(2-3):115-26, (Jun 2001)

20 Hahn LJ, et al., "Whole-body imaging of the distribution of mercury released from dental fillings into monkey tissues", FASEB J, 4(14):3256-60, (Nov 1990)

21 Vimy MJ, et al., "Maternal-fetal distribution of mercury (203Hg) released from dental amalgam fillings", Am J Physiol, 258(4 Pt 2):R939-45, (Apr 1990 )

22 Hahn LJ, et al., "Dental "silver" tooth fillings: a source of mercury exposure revealed by whole-body image scan and tissue analysis", FASEB J, 3(14):2641-6, (Dec 1989)

23 Kanerva L, et al., "A multicenter study of patch test reactions with dental screening series", Am J Contact Dermat, 12(2):83-7, (Jun 2001)

24 McGivern B, et al., "Delayed and immediate hypersensitivity reactions associated with the use of amalgam", Br Dent J, 22;188(2):73-6, (Jan 2000)

25 Xu C, et al., "Linkage analysis in multiple sclerosis of chromosomal regions syntenic to experimental autoimmune disease loci", Eur J Hum Genet, 9(6):458-63, (Jun 2001)

26 Robberecht W, "Genetic markers of ALS", Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord, 1 Suppl 2:S57-9, (Jun 2000)

27 Graham RR, et al., "Genetic linkage and transmission disequilibrium of marker haplotypes at chromosome 1q41 in human systemic lupus erythematosus", Arthritis Res, 3(5):299-305, 2001

28 Poduslo SE, Yin X, "Chromosome 12 and late-onset Alzheimer's disease", Neurosci Lett, 14;310(2-3):188-90, (Sep 2001)

29 McGivern B, et al.,"Delayed and immediate hypersensitivity reactions associated with the use of amalgam", Br Dent J, 22;188(2):73-6 (Jan 2000)

30 MELISA Medica Foundation; http://www.melisa.org

31 Frustaci A, et al., "Marked elevation of myocardial trace elements in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy compared with secondary cardiac dysfunction", J Am Coll Cardiol, 33(6):1578-83, (May 1999)

32 Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome (DAMS); http://www.amalgam.org/

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note,
I have over 4 root canal'ed teeth in my mouth. I have had them done by wonderful skilled Dentists. I have had NO PROBLEMS with them in all the years that I have had them. I take care of my teeth. I had lyme for over 8 years before finding out and treating it. I have Mercury fillings also. I have no problem with them. I have composite fillings, no problems with them either.
I have friends with Dentures with MEGA problems.
You need to listen to GOOD advise. Do not have good teeth extracted. Do not have good mercury fillings re-done. There is alot of BAD information in this web site, and because of it, alot of people are getting the WRONG information and spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on quacks. Extracting your teeth WILL NOT make you feel better, no matter what all these articles that are quoted to you will say. CONSIDER THE SOURCE in all information. Dave Doc has the answers, you should listen to his wisdom.
I'm sorry to say that this site has been ruled by only a few of you that will beat me down on the carpet right along with the others that dare to speak out.....
I'm ready for my beating, with all my mercury and gutta percha in tack!!!!( and feeling NO PAIN)

Hadlyme

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally did not get better after my mercury and root canal were removed...
did years of chelation too.
Maybe I would be dead though, had I not removed it when I did.

BUT, I would still recommend people looking in this direction, just to go slow with it, and to make sure they check out all other aveunes before this one.

I know that some have really had their lives changed for the better once their mercury was removed.. I know because they have emailed me to thank me for posting about mercury 5 years ago.

I believe mercury is responsible for making some very sick, the mercury in their mouths.

We all have to decide what is best for each of us.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement