LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Generic same as non-generic meds????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Generic same as non-generic meds????
Lymie10/03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lymie10/03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey-

I have taken Rocephin-although the generic is Ceftriaxone.

Is Claforan the same as Clindamycin??

Thanks

Jenn

Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lkpod
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lkpod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure specifically about these drugs but I know for other things that some generics work fine for some and not for others.

I think that part of it has to do with the person and part of it has to do with the drug/manufacturer of the generic.

I'm no expert but that has been my experience with other meds I have taken.

I hope someone else will come along soon to help you more.

Posts: 134 | From So. California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
name brand drugs are regulated by the fda not much but they do have a say and control the production of the drugs.
there is no regulatory agency that controls generics except the drug companies.
they can do whatever they want. the bigger generic companies are ok but the smaller ones are highly in question.
for my lyme treatment i would not go with generic drugs especially iv drugs.
you can't let the peopple that make the drug enforce the making of the drug it doesn't work. self enforcement is a joke,and the generics take all cost cutting measures known to man to save money.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin is not available as a generic drug yet. You can only get it from Roche.

CLINDAMYCIN = Cleocin

[This message has been edited by Mathias (edited 24 November 2004).]

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Claforan
Active Ingredients: Cefotaxime Sodium Injection
Representative Names: Claforan

What is cefotaxime injection?
What should my health care professional know before I receive cefotaxime?
How should I use this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with cefotaxime?
What side effects may I notice from receiving cefotaxime?
What should I watch for while taking cefotaxime?
Where can I keep my medicine?

What is cefotaxime injection? (Back to top)
CEFOTAXIME (Claforan�) is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It treats many kinds of infections, including those of the skin, bone, stomach, brain, blood, respiratory tract, sinuses, ears, and urinary tract. Cefotaxime also treats some sexually transmitted diseases. Generic cefotaxime injections are available.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Clindamycin Capsules
Active Ingredients: Clindamycin Capsules
Representative Names: Cleocin Capsules
Available Product Images:

What are clindamycin capsules?
What should my health care professional know before I take clindamycin?
How should I take this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with clindamycin capsules?
What side effects may I notice from taking clindamycin?
What should I watch for while taking clindamycin?

What are clindamycin capsules? (Back to top)
CLINDAMYCIN (Cleocin�) is an antibiotic or antiinfective. It treats serious blood, bone, joint, lung, urinary tract, or pelvic infections. Generic clindamycin capsules are available.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Rocephin
Active Ingredients: Ceftriaxone Sodium Injection
Representative Names: Rocephin

What is ceftriaxone injection?
What does my health care professional need to know before I receive ceftriaxone?
How should I use this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with ceftriaxone?
What side effects may I notice from receiving ceftriaxone?
What should I watch for while taking ceftriaxone?

What is ceftriaxone injection? (Back to top)
CEFTRIAXONE (Rocephin�) is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It treats many kinds of infections, including those of the skin, bone, stomach, brain, blood, respiratory tract, sinuses, ear, and urinary tract. Ceftriaxone also treats some sexually transmitted disease. Generic ceftriaxone injections are not yet available.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told generic medications are allowed to be 20% more or 20% less effective than its name brand counterpart.

best wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I have discovered with Flagyl, Ceftin, and Xanax is that their equivalent generics aren't coated. As a result, I taste the drug and they don't taste good at all. The generic Flagyl melts in my mouth before I can even swallow! This isn't a statistically random sample of generics, so I can't conclude that all generics behave this way.

As far as efficacy, they seem to work just as well as the name brands. Again, my data is anecdotal: it's just me talking! That's my experience.

Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generic drugs only have to prove that they are chemically equivalent to the original drug. They are not subjected to the same testing and clinical trails that the original drug was subjected to. They do not need to be manufactured the same way s the original drug.

In theory, the chemical equivalence should be enough, but delivery method (i.e. coated tablets, encapsulated pellets) could be significant enough to reduce the effectiveness of the drug.

My experience has been bad with dealing with generic drugs (i.e. mino, doxy). I request only brand name drugs now.

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement