LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hormone test back what to do????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hormone test back what to do????
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!
I just got my results back from my hormone testing. I am so depressed!

There is no way we can afford all those abx's he recommends!!!!!!!!!!!! WE pay for all my abx's ourselves as insurance does not cover that.

Does anyone know what is the most important one to take? I HATE ALL THIS I KNOW WHINE WHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just need some advice and humor cause right now I am really really depressed?

Also anyone on ceftin and how are you doing? I can't tell if I am having a mild herx or it isn't working. I have been on it about 3 weeks and don't feel any improvement yet feel worse.

Thanks and blessings Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveinCt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveinCt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mule:

I hear you on the cost of meds. I pay for my own too but, if it means getting rid of this hideous disease, I'd just about pay anything!

I'm a little over 3 weeks into using Biaxin/ Cillin combo and I'm feeling worse than before I started. Same thing happened on Tetracycline....1st week felt pretty good and then down hill from there until Dr. had me stop because I was not able to handle it. So far, even though I feel worse on the combo then when I started, it's not as bad as the Tetra was.

Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Posts: 207 | From Lynchburg, VA. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I am not as experienced as some on here, but from what I read, I would do the Doxycycline first, because that not only may target your lyme, but also coinfections, some of them.

I read in Dr Burrascano's Guidelines that this was a good drug to use first.
It targets the Echrillosis, and lyme.

I am on it, the Doxy, only can handle 200mgs a day. Have been on it 2 months.
Before this I was on the Biaxin/flagyl combo and would recommed this as well.

First, the Doxy, it is CHEAP and highly effective for a some people.

I cannot take the penicillin drugs cause of an allergy.

Mino is supposed to be good too, but the Doxy is what I would do, and then who knows, maybe you can work, or part time work and can pay for more expensive ones.

Flagy is cheap too, at least where I am, in Canada.

Maybe the penicillins are cheaper then the macrolides.

I will say, biaxin and flagyl REALLY helped me one year ago. It was my first time on antibiotics for lyme, and I have had lyme about 15-30 years, was bedridden pretty much.
I could only handle 60mgs of the biaxin a day, worked up to 500mgs, then did some days with the 1000mgs, or rather weeks.
Was on this combo for 7 months.

Zithro is so expensive. BUT if it is what you need, then you have to do it if you can afford it and cut corners on other areas of your life.

Some do the self testing, if you can master something like this, to test yourself for the drugs, which is the more effective for you NOW, that is the way to do it.

I realize that many dont acknowledge this practice, but for those that do, it can really be the difference between getting well motre quicklly and saving lots of money.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Thanks Dave! i would pay anything for abx's if I had anything! We farm for a living and do market gardening. So our money is scarce as usual! But i know what you mean about it being worth it!

Health

I guess I wasn't clear on my info I gave. I have already been on Doxy for 6 weeks prior to the ceftin. It worked great for about 4 weeks and then quit working. I just wished I could feel I was getting better on the ceftin but i know i need to give it 4 to 6 weeks. We shall see. Thanks for all the info though!

O don't know what I would do without you all!!!!! Hugs Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you sure it quit working, or were you herxing, and all your symptoms came back due to a herx?

Sometimes I was sure the Doxy quit working, but I kept at it and it was! still working.

Also, dont forget about RIFE machines.
Some can build there own with the help of others on the lyme rife site.

I am not telling you to do RIFE, but just in case you cannot afford antibiotics now, maybe in the mean time, Rife my help you out, or even CURE! you, never know.

Just have to do something to get rid of lyme now, whatever it may be, just do something, as it is too scary as we all know to let it breed in us.

Good luck,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what did the hormone testing reveal?

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mulelover31:
I have been on it about 3 weeks and don't feel any improvement yet feel worse.

Hi Mule! This is LYME DISEASE. You will feel alot worse for quite awhile before you feel any better. Trust me. I won't depress you any further by telling you how long it took before i felt any better.

Yes, what did the hormone testing reveal?

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Links for free or low cost meds:

www.rxassist.org/default.cfm
www.themedicineprogram.com
www.needymeds.com
www.helpingpatients.org

My kids have several hormone deficiencies also.

I hope this helps!

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 12 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey you all!

I am thankful for the sites about abx's Pab!

I can't post all the results from my hormone test as there is too many! A few are cortisol,all the stress hormones( like that is a surprise! HA!), and a bunch of other things that my brain can't remember now. Sorry!

Has anyone else from Dr. C started hormone treatment and felt better or have any advice?

I am feeling a little better and know that this will be a long haul and just need to hang in there!

Thanks all of you are so great! Hope your achey breakys are feeling better today!
Hugs Mule

notime2work
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notime2work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mule,

I am also on hormones based on my test results through Dr. C.

I was deficient in almost everything tested for! So far, I'm taking Cortef, and just started DHEA. I have 6 different things that I am supposed to be on eventually, starting 2 weeks apart. I haven't noticed feeling any different, but probably haven't been taking any of it long enough to tell.

Some are prescriptions, some are supplements, and some are creams that have to be compounded.

I'm going to ask Dr. C at my next appointment how long these will need to be taken. I know it's a long-term deal, but I hope not forever. I'm sick of taking medicine already, and it's getting to be real expensive on an ongoing basis. I can't imagine having to pay for it without insurance. I don't think I would be able to afford it either.

I'm also on Ceftin. I have only been on it for 3 days, so probably not long enough to tell if it is doing anything.

I need a personal assistant just to keep track of all the stuff I have to take!

Gail

------------------
I live in my own little world . . . but that's OK, they all like me here.

Posts: 142 | From Flyover Country | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cortef has helped me and it's been fairly cheap -- I do the DHEA and cortef thing.

The cost of this disease is absolutely breathtaking.

I've done the best on Bicillin plus coinfection treatment. Maddog is using the vetrinary bicillin IM injections -- you might want to check with him about how that's going. When our insurance goes away, we'll probably take that route if need be. NOT that I'm advocating it, mind, but that's the reality of the situation.

The abx for bartonella has not been too bad -- Levaquin, then septra -- but the babesia tx is truly expensive and I don't know a way around that.

I think this is what drives people to use modalities like Rife and the ozone sauna. I haven't tried either, although I did get the fixings for the sauna (pretty cheap off EBay) -- but you might want to check them out.

OK, you need a joke, too, to cheer you up. So here's one:

And you thought your situation was bad:

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeyinok
Member # 5817

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeyinok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too see Dr. C in MO and my hormone tests showed I needed Cortisol along with Florinef every other day to maintain the cortisol levels. I also use estrogen, estrodiol, and progesterone in a cream as well as testosterone and DHEA in a separate cream.

When I first saw this list, I was as overwhelmed as you are. I was very reluctant to take the cortisol as I was concerned about weight gain among other side effects. I must admit though - of all the things I take (including heparin troches) - the cortisol is most effective in my energy level and my mood. I was pleasantly surprised by my immediate improvement! However, I do not take at the max. dosage recommended.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to "talk" about the suggested protocol. [email protected]

------------------

Posts: 46 | From Norman, OK, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by minoucat:
-- but the babesia tx is truly expensive and I don't know a way around that.

clindamycin/quinine is very effective and not expensive

artemisinin is even cheaper and very effective
http://www.organic-pharmacy.com

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 12 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ya all!
Sorry I haven't been on here to anwer this post and to tell you all thanks for all the suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minoucat!
Thanks so much for that joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not taking any of the stuff for hormones yet as i want to talk to Dr. C 1st. I have an appt. in Feb. but may see if i can move it up.

I can't imagine trying to keep up with all that stuff! I already have trouble remembering to take all my supplements!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gail, I know what you mean about having a personal assistant to tell me when to take everything! I also like living in my own world as i am well liked there!!!! LOL!

However sometimes I have to come out in the cruel world!

Thanks again to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially thanks for the abx's sites.
Hugs Mule

hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mule,
I thought my doxy wasn't working but here's what happened. I took Doxy 100mgs 2 times a day for 28 days. Much improvement. I stopped because my PCP thought 28 days was an easy cure (actually she gave me only 21 days and I asked to extend it). After I stopped taking it for only 2 days I got much worse than I had been before and resumed taking it.

As I continued taking Doxy I got better for a while and then I got worse. After 2 months I was getting much worse and began looking for an LLMD to change my medication. Suddenly just as I reached the 90 day mark (of continuos doxy, 120 days with short break) I got much better. This occured right after I started to use Podi Patches and at the supposedly magic 90 day mark. For the last 5 days I've been much more active and sometimes feel like my old self. All of my symptoms are decreasing.

I saw an LLMD just before the mini-miracle who is changing my med to tetracycline 750mgs bid. He said that I need to take it for 90 - 120 days to know if it is working. Funny thing is that just as I gave up on the doxy it worked. I'm not sure if I should switch meds now or stick with the Doxy. If I do switch my aim will be to make it to 90 days again.

It is so hard to know when I'm getting better and when I'm getting worse. It all feels kind of the same! Such a baffling disease.

Good luck mule.
h&s

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement