LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Rocephin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Rocephin
jewelie
Member # 897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I am calling on you to help put me in the right direction. I just visited my infectious disease doctor and she thinks I have bacterial encarditis. She doesn't know if this was from lyme or not, but she wants to start me on IV Rocephin this week. After reading several posts of different ones who have gone through this treatment, I need to know what protocal I should do to help my body with the yeast and also is there always GI problems connected with Rocephin and if so anything that I can do to prepare for this. I appreciate your help very much in this..
Posts: 18 | From St. Petersburg, FL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

If you dont me asking, who was your diagnosis made? What test where done and what symptoms did you have?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to prevent yeast you want to take acidophilous.

you want to take it AT LEAST 2 hours before you infuse or after you finished infusing.
it MUST be taken at least that amount of time away from any antibotic.

you can buy it at any health food store.

In case you were not warned rocephin can cause gullbladder problems.

my dr did an ultrasound to make sure I did not have any gullstones before I was put on rocephin... but I got 6-8 gullstones while on rocephin and had to get my gullbladder removed.

I've heard quite a few people on the board have had gullbladder problems from rocephin.
You should be informed that this is a possibility....

I'm sorry I cant give you a percentage of patients that end up with this problem...

I'm not trying to scare you....

Its just the first dr. I had didnt tell me about the risk till i was on it awhile and I feel you should now that this could potentially happen before you decide to go on it.

Best Wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot its also good to drink alot of water to flush your system out.

Best wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If an ID doc is putting you on rocephin chances are it's not going to be much longer than 4 to 6 weeks. Probley not a big deal with your gall bladder.

You may want to watch for any clotting and make sure the rocephin is diluted enough and that they infuse it slowly, especially with a heart problem.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jewelie,

I noticed that you're also from St. Pete. I did 12 weeks of IV Rocephin this past summer. The doctor also prescribed Urso to help prevent gall bladder side effects. So far so good with me.

I agree with Azure Wish regarding Acidophilus to control yeast. That's an over-the-counter supplement. I buy mine at The Vitamin Shoppe on the northwest corner of Tyrone and 66th streets.

Good Luck,
Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking probiotics is a good idea. However, just taking Acidophilis will not cover all the bases. You need to get your hands on as many of the "good" bacterias as possible. Try and find a quality bifido complex also.

No one told me this and we were only taking Acidophilis. As a result, ALL of my good bacteria was wiped out. I am still trying to rebuild a good bacteria colony.

To protect your liver from the Rocephin, I would recommend taking Milk Thistle. It is a natural herb that you can find in your health food store. You can take it in a capsule or tincture.

Both my daughter and I were on IV Rocephin and took Milk Thistle on a daily basis and didn't have any gallbladder problems.

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jewelie:

Yes, you do need a good quality probiotic. The refrigerated kind in best because the cultures are still alive. I don't believe it is necessary to take it 2 hours away from an IV antibiotic because the Rocephin by-passes the gut. Hence, the absorption of the probiotic will not be affected in any way.

As mentioned, you will also need to replenish some of the other bacteria with a good soil based microbial product, like Primal Defence (there are others).

Most inportantly, you will have to avoid sugar and pretty much anything that is white.

An ID Doc. is more inclined to give Rocephin for longer periods of time than a non-ID-LLMD. Most insurance cos. will accept the treatment protocol for longer than 30 days from and ID than they will from an LLMD who is not ID. The law requires them to in many states.

I have been on Rocephin twice, once for 12 weeks and again later for 16 weeks. I took milk thistle and DGL licorice. My live and gallbladder are fine. My nurse took a liver panel blood test every other week - this is important. He/she can give you a slip to do this at a local lab near you, if you can't get to the office.

Rocephin will cause yeast problems. Be vigilant with your diet, drink plenty of water, rest and take your supplements. It isn't easy at first but, it does get better. The herx can be intense.

Good luck.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelie
Member # 897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jewelie:
Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I am calling on you to help put me in the right direction. I just visited my infectious disease doctor and she thinks I have bacterial encarditis. She doesn't know if this was from lyme or not, but she wants to start me on IV Rocephin this week. After reading several posts of different ones who have gone through this treatment, I need to know what protocal I should do to help my body with the yeast and also is there always GI problems connected with Rocephin and if so anything that I can do to prepare for this. I appreciate your help very much in this..

Posts: 18 | From St. Petersburg, FL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelie
Member # 897

I'm sorry I'm new in knowing how to reply..Oh, well..
Thanks for all your replys.. I was started on a hep-loc today, with first saline, then rocephin, saline and then heparin. Friday I'm due to get my pic-line and start the IV.. My ID doc said the treatment will last for six weeks. Thanks for all the input about the cautions with gallbladder and liver. It's good to know this and do want to cautious. I knew some about acidophilus, but glad to get more specifics..
Thanks, Scott for the suggestions.. I used to get my supplements there, but I like the Vitamin Discount Center down the street.. in fact I'm heading there right now.
To Caat- where do I need to watch for the clotting? Thanks for your reply
Again, thank you for reaching out..I will keep posting with updates or possible questions.

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not done rocephin yet but was told by an LLMD that I had a consult with that he ues Actigall with all his rocephin patients.

I belive this can prevent big problems from occuring. Ask your doctor about Actigal. BTW the LLMd that told me about this was Dr. S in DC.

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jewel,

Here's a couple studies on what antibiotics reach the cyst part of the lyme's life cycle (the eggs). You may have to cut & paste the links, they're a little long.

This is something the ID docs aren't looking at much yet. But it could be a reason for some relapses after rocephin. Hopefully you won't have a relapse, but your doc might be interested in seeing these if you do.

An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to metronidazole. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10379684&dopt=Abstract

An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to hydroxychloroquine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12102233&dopt=Abstract

Tinidazole works too.

Here are also a couple studies showing conversion to cyst form within the CNS;

In vitro conversion of Borrelia burgdorferi to cystic forms in spinal fluid, and transformation to mobile spirochetes by incubation in BSK-H medium. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9646104&dopt=Abstract

&&&&&&&&

Serum Starvation-Induced Cyst Formation in Borrelia burgdorferi Under Defined Conditions Paper confirming the Brorsons' work on cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi.

Alban PS; Nelson DR. University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02181 Presented at the 1999 International Conference on Lyme Disease in Munich, Germany. Subsequently published in Microbiology, Jan 2000;146 (Pt 1):119-27.

It has recently been demonstrated that cells of Borrelia burgdorferi transform from mobile spirochetes into nonmotile cysts when cultured for several weeks in BSK medium lacking rabbit serum (BSKrs-) or within 24 h in cerebrospinal fluid. Additionally, cyst forms of B. burgdorferi can successfully convert back to the motile vegetative form when incubated for 6 wk in BSK medium containing 6% rabbit serum (BSKrs+). The aim of this study was to investigate cyst formation by B. burgdorferi cells under defined conditions in order to understand the physiological basis of this transformation and to identify proteins involved in cyst formation. We confirmed that motile B. burgdorferi cells transform into cysts after a 30 d incubation in BSKrs-.

Quotations From The Full-Text Article (Microbiology, Jan 2000) ``...Western blots displayed consistent differences between the protein antigens recognized in vegetative cells and cysts. ...both the 46 kDa and 41 kDa (flagellin) protein bands exhibited less reactivity to sera from humans or monkeys in blots prepared from cysts, suggesting that both proteins were present in decreased amounts in cysts.'' (pp.123-4) ``By forming cysts, it is also conceivable that B. burgdorferi cells evade detection by the immune system.'' (p. 125)

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement