LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help!
jmardis
Member # 6643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmardis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new and need help. My doctor thinks Lyme Disease is cured in 10 days (Doxycycline 100 mg 2x/day). This is the third doctor and many tests later. The first doc blew off my flu like symptoms and rash on my hands following tick bite 2 wks before as a "virus that would have to run its course." My screen with the second doc 1 1/2 yrs later was negative, so she says I'm fine & lyme disease is rare in KY (blood work took 7 days for results). Third doc says my symptoms are systemic & don't make a lot of sense. He is treating me for lyme anyway because of difficulty in diagnosing it. I suddenly began hurting in my large joints and muscles 2 1/2 months ago. I have extreme fatique at times, the pain lesses but doesn't go away, pain in my left lower abdomen, left back around kidney, enlarged lymph node under arm, blurring of vision at times, have become forgetful, feel disoriented, forget what I am doing, tingling in my face (cheeks), siatica radiating down my leg, burning in my arms and between shoulder blades, and extremely tense muscles in my back. I live on the lake with lots of ticks. Does this sound like lyme or something else. My nephew (1 yr) was just diagnosed & treated. Please help.

[This message has been edited by jmardis (edited 03 February 2005).]

Posts: 59 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please email me, I have a whole bunch of information for you and ideas for you.

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi jmardis,

Welcome to Lymenet.

I'm sure WildCondor has given you some expert advice. She has a wealth of knowledge about Lyme Disease & a phenomenal website.

You've certainly come to the right place for answers.

We will try our very best to provide the latest information about Lyme Disease enabling you to make informed decisions about your health.

Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time.

While only a physician can diagnose you with Lyme Disease, we are glad to share our experiences with you.

You have a small window of opportunity to treat Lyme Disease successfully, if you catch it fast.

I hope you will make it a top priority to find a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor for evaluation and possible treatment. To delay is really gambling with your future.

Naturally, half the battle is getting the correct diagnosis. The real key is to get a high enough dose of antibiotics for an extended period of time.

Unfortunately, ten days or 4 weeks of antibiotics is not long enough to eradicate this disease.

The length of treatment depends entirely on the patient's own unique situation.

If that rash (Lyme rashes can look different than the classic bull's eye rash) was indeed caused by a tick, you have Lyme Disease.

The classic bull's eye rash is diagnostic for Lyme. Try to get a disposable camera & take several pictures of any rashes using a coin to show size comparison. Secure the photos for safekeeping.

Less than 50% of Lyme patients report seeing a Bull's eye rash----yet you can have LD without having a rash.

By the way, do not let any Doctor give you steroids because this will further depress the immune system & allow the Lyme to flourish.

Lyme can do whatever it wants in the body and coupled with the fact that every patient presents with a myriad of symptoms, it makes treating Lyme Disease (LD) very complex.

Lyme Disease is called the ``new great imitator.'' Few LD cases are ``textbook'' cases. That's what makes it so difficult to diagnose if your physician does not have expertise in tick borne diseases.

Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis based on symptoms.

Testing is done merely to support the diagnosis and to satisfy insurance requirements.

Many Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMDs) prefer using a specialty lab such as IGENEX in California for testing.

Eventually they will usually run the Western Blot IgM and IgG tests. (The ELISA test is deemed useless.)

Each LLMD has his own protocol for testing. Some opt to give 5 to 10 days of an antibiotic like Zithromax prior to testing to elicit a positive test result. It really depends on your LLMD.

The antibiotics (ABX) help pull the Lyme bacteria out of the tissues where it hides, so it will show up in the blood yielding a positive Western Blot lab test.

It's interesting to note that a patient can have a negative Lyme test, but have a raging infection. Some of the sickest patients have negative tests.

Not to be forgotten are the all-important tick borne co-infections that ticks carry such as: Babesiosis, Erlichiosis, Bartonella, Mycoplasmas, and more.

Your LLMD will also want to check you for these infections, although it's difficult to distinguish among the co-infections as their symptoms overlap greatly with those of Lyme Disease.

Many patients have to travel long distances to find proper medical care. As you will see, there are very few LLMDS.

Here are 3 ways to find one:

1. Go to Seeking a Doctor. Post a request & someone from your area will e-mail you privately with a referral.

Sorry, but we're not allowed to post physicians' names on the board without their permission.

2. Go to Support Group. See if there is a support group from your state. Contact them via e-mail.

3. Click on the logo for Lyme Disease Association. Next, click on Doctor Referral in black column. You can call them or e-mail them.

If you still have trouble finding an LLMD, please let us know.

A great place to start reading about Lyme Disease is ``Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses.''

This is the most important, comprehensive handbook for Lyme Disease. Most folks like to print this out for easy reference. It has a symptom list and recommended medications.

Just click on this site:
http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.html

Another favorite of mine is called ``Lyme Disease and Associated Diseases: The Basics.'' It's a 28-page, plain-language introduction to tick-borne diseases.

It contains a 7-page comprehensive symptom list which I know you will find fascinating.

Click on: http://www.lymepa.org to download entire printout. When you reach the site, click on the Booklet icon located below the Lyme Teens icon.

Lymenet has a special site for new members called Newbie Help Links. It's a goldmine of information designed to simplify research about LD.

Click on: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/029917.html

The more you know about Lyme, the more you can take charge of your health.

Naturally, this is a lot of material to take in at once, but I do hope you can print out the Diagnostic Hints & Guidelines, as well as the The Basics booklet and read them later.

You deserve to know with certainty if you have Lyme Disease as it is a potentially debilitating disease if left untreated or if it is undertreated.

If it turns out you do have Lyme Disease, remember the clock is ticking. You just can't hesitate seeking treatment when it comes to fighting this clever bug.

Most of all, we just want you to find the root cause of your health problems. So please keep asking questions as we understand firsthand how overwhelming this quest can be.

Lyme Disease ------it's not what you think it is!

Best Wishes,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME To LYMENET

Here's more goodys! A typical response to newcomers.

Hi and WELCOME! Get a LLMD or at least Dr that is willing to learn about lyme. Borrelia Burgdorferi is a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms and on your response to treatment. Good Luck, bumpy road ahead.

Post for a LLMD in Seeking a Doctor. Ps remember I am not a Dr, just a fellow sufferer.

How to Search Courtesy of Danq
TC LymeNet Links for New Members
Newbie's Lingo

Lyme Disease Audio Network
Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines
CDC Website on Lyme Disease
International Lyme and Associated Disease Society

Lyme Disease Symptoms
Rashes
Co-IinfectionsThanx M

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers
Making the Most of Your LLMD Visit
Camp A and Camp B, The Lyme Disease Contoversy
2nd Version Camp A Camp B

Why You Can't Trust Medical Journals Anymore
Something to share with friends and family members But You LOOK Good!

Labs
MDL
Igenex Labs

Western Blot Info
FDA It is important that clinicians understand the limitations of these tests

Explaining Borreliosis (Lyme) Western Blot Tests
Explanation of Western Blot Bands
Igenex Labs on the Western Blot
Melissa Kaplan's Lyme Website Explains Western Blot
Dr. C Explains Western Blot
- Not present
+ Low
++ Medium
+++ High
+/- Equivocal = indeterminate (there, but not as intense as Low)

Drug Interactions and Other Drug Info
Drug Digest
American Medical Women's Association Tiscali Reference Encyclopedia
Herxing
What Is a Herxheimer Reaction?
What Is Herxing?
The Herxheimer Reaction

Check Diet Link Atkins Diet
Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content
Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections
Good Site Canadian Lyme Disease Association
FDA on Lyme Testing
Legal Help

GreatSite
MedicalDictionary

USA Support

SupportGroups Canada

SupportGroups Australia

( No you don't always see a bite and if there's no bullseye the only way your going to be able to tell is (symptoms) and (((Maybe))) WB or lyme dot blot 3 day urine banged with abx's to free your antigens up for the test. )
See this ( . )thats the size of the larva stage tick...
Next nymph size... ( * )
Next is adult ( o ) to ( 0 )
Pretty small????? HUH

Marnies......... Ten Points Regarding Mg and Lyme Disease
In a Nutshell P1

In a Nutshell P2

Canlyme MAG

Help with Meds

Vitamins you should Know

Tests Synonyms Guide

Lab Tests Looky

Blood Donor Info

Pregnancy?
TC Link Pregnancy

How to apply Permethrin

Tick Testing

Herbs Be Careful
HerbsCancer Center

Your Dr full of it.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi jmardis,
Welcome to Lymenet. So glad you're here. Generally speaking, we don't have medical backgrounds, but we're willing to share what we've learned from experience with Tick-Borne Diseases.

Won't repeat the good info already given, but will add a few points.

Highly recommend you see a LLMD for an evaluation. Maybe (s)he could work with your local dr.

In the meantime -
Print 2 copies of "Diag Hints & Treatment Guidelines...." - 1 for you & 1 for your dr.

I'm impressed with your dr for considering Lyme as a diagnosis & prescribing treatment.
Unfortunately, the treatment is typical, but is not up to the recommendations of Dr B in his "Guidelines".

Hopefully, your dr will be willing to follow Dr B's recommended treatment.

Page 18-22: 'Antibiotic Choices' & 'Treatment Categories'. He says:
400 mg Doxycycline per day
Continue treatment until symptom free for 30 days.
Some are now saying continue treatment until NO symptoms for 2 to 4 months to be sure.

Also, need to take Acidophilus (from Health Food Store). Antibiotics (abx) kill good bacteria along with the bad.
It's necessary to replenish the good bacteria to keep the body in balance.

Dr B recommends 2 Acidophilus capsules, 3 times a day.
Be sure to have 2 hours between abx & acidoph - before & after - to be sure it works.

Concerning your nephew -
It is VERY likely that he did not get enough treatment.
You and/or his mother need to find the treatment he received...antibiotic, dose/day, & length of treatment. If she doesn't have the info, the pharmacist should have it.

You need to call Dr Jones, the wonderful Lyme Pediatrician in CT, to see what should have been prescribed & what needs to be done now.

Dr Charles Ray Jones
New Haven, CT
Phone: 203 - 772 - 1123

If adequate treatment is not given now, your nephew will still have Lyme disease & it will flare up later. At that time, it will be much more difficult to diagnose & treat.

Keep in touch & ask as many questions as you need to ask.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobusymom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobusymom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi jmardis. I live in Campbellsville also. Don't let the docs tell you lyme is extremely rare in Kentucky. Could probably guess who that doc was lol. If you are talking about Green River lake I have spoken to quite a few people who were bitten there, developed the rash and whallaaa the docs here tell them they are cured!!!!

I have emailed you my phone number, the primary care doc's name I see here locally who works extremely well with my LLMD, and of my LLMDs info.

Would love to speak with you personally, feel free to call anytime. Just another bit of info, your symptoms are much like mine. I would be interesting in reveiwing your lab results, as my initial tests done locally were considered negative, despite positive bands and many physical symptoms, and was told not enough were positive to meet CDC criteria.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Cheryl

Posts: 204 | From kentucky | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement