LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD57 Results Terrible. But I feel so good

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD57 Results Terrible. But I feel so good
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I've been off antibiotics for over 6 weeks now, and have been feeling great.

However, last week I had a bunch of bloodwork done at my LLMD's office.

My CD57 results (natural killer cell count) is still just as terrible as it was 9 months ago - base count of 1, absolute % 19.

9 months of supplements, immune enhancers, Berry Young Juice, TOA Free-Cats Paw, NADH... I sleep at least 8 hours every night. What the heck else can I try to wake up my immune system?

I'm still on supplements, acidophillus, Cat's Paw, Oil of Oregano, AG Immune from Bodywise. I haven't had any relapse of symptoms - we worked on a 4 month weanoff of the abx. I feel good, and I know I shouldn't let this worry me, but it does.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my son's CD57 count went up after MP:In January (prior to MP) his CD57 was 15. Now it is 38.

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My jury is still out on the MP.

Thanks Cave!!

I thought it meant I was one step away from relapse and that I was in much worse shape than I felt.

I guess the question is... am I wasting my money on all these immune supplements? My count is actually slightly lower than my first test (last March), pre-Lyme treatment.

I've had 2 colds and a UTI in the last 6 months (nothing since I went off abx.... yet)

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would like talk to you about this at length at some point Julie...maybe I will feel better in a few days.....you can email me to remind me if you like....

peac and health
robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cave!

Thanks for the info. And I'm glad I'm not the only one baffled by it.

Maybe it is a case of treating Lyme successfully. I've had it ten years, treated for 8 mos with abx. My LLMD insists a protocol of Prima Una de Gato at double the strength I was on, plus Oil of Oregano, is enough to continue my recovery.

I'll be doing a parasite and total body cleanse once the holiday is over - perhaps the flush will move out the backup of heavy metals I'm sure I have (6 mos of foot detox patches still are black and oozing nightly) will enable my immune system to take over.

I finally convinced my LLMD to run a hormone panel and I got the results yesterday... and my progesterone level is wayyyy low. Started Pro Gest cream yesterday. Any idea how long this stuff takes to help the body normalize? And is this common with Lyme (or is it just my age showing...39)

I'll google the article to find the rest - thanks!

Robi, email me when you're feeling better.

------------------
Julie G.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the count is low because the cells are doing their job of killing things? And there aren't a lot of extra hanging around for a lab to count?
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OB -

Interesting thought, and I would love for it to be true.

Happy Holidays!

------------------
Julie G.

flygirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stupid question - will all these drugs "shut down" the immune system, and they need to be woken up when you go off them?
Posts: 167 | From Ashburn, VA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cave76:

My llmd is also an immunologist (and had a large AIDS practice), so I'd imagine that he would know more about the immune system that most doctors.

interesting... has he run a complete immune complex profile for you? IgG and IgG sublevels, circulating CD3 complex, lymphocyte panel, t and b cell count, etc?

most llmd's are internists, and like you pointed out, don't know this stuff in detail. they will check your neutrophil and lymphocyte levels on CBC's and that's it.

i would think any immunologist would run these tests within the first few visits. if their are deficiencies, as lyme would cause as it is an immunosuppressive autoimmune like disease, that your dr would have put you on a regimen of immunomodulating drugs, like gamma gloublin, iv or im.

lyme is a protein, or antibody binding, pathogen so immunomodulating drugs let the antigen (bacteria) seperate from the protein and produce postitive antibodies, it also decreases cytokine production which causes inflammation. it also increases the number of phagocytes (bacteria eaters).

if you want to read more in detail :
http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/intravenous-immunoglobulin.htm

nk cells are actually an addition of CD8 and CD57. not to belittle their importance but they are small part of the immune system overall. for lyme patients it seems to be indicative, as where CD4 deficiencies is indicative of HIV/AIDS.

supplements are all good and well but they are no substitute for real medical immunomodulating drugs.

lymeinhell : hormone factors are often way way off lyme. i'm not sure why but they seem to refigure themselves as the spirochetes die.

i don't know much about this but i'm sure as you continue to get better your testing will fall back into the normal range.

but i'm glad your feeling better regardless. keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by zipzip (edited 25 December 2004).]

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flygirl, I believe antibiotics do somewhat repress the immune system, but can't really give you much more than that. Maybe someone else here can give you more.

Thanks for the info Zip... will bring this to the attention of my LLMD and ND for further research.

I really appreciate the info, and feel much better about the test results. Just had a long exhausting holiday, and here I am, still full of energy, no aches or pains... so nice to feel normal.

Merry Christmas to all... and to all a good night.

------------------
Julie G.

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your immune system...your defense system...needs adequate Mg and Ca to make immunoglobulins...antibodies, etc.

Find my updated nutshell post. Link the mdschoice website...the one that is supposed to teach doctors about the functions of Mg. Skim it, but pay attention to the part about the Mg - immune system.

Also note that our NK cells need Mg and Ca in order to work. (Class college notes).

There is a cortisol - NK cell connection. Figure out why cortisol is being overproduced and what to do to stop this.

It all, I repeat all, goes back to Mg being deficient (depleted) and this sprials out of control.

Taking large doses of Mg just a few times a day doesn't cut it. Most of it will go into the toilet.

Timing and doses are critical. Read Valletta's U.S. patent..."Magnesium for autoimmune". The clues are there.

Those who have enough Mg in storage to draw from fare better...and feel better...and recover easier...this includes kids. That is why...generally speaking...they stand a better chance of recovering. This pathogen releases a lot of toxins (acidic) as it is destroyed.

Muscle cells contain a lot of mitochondria. (Powerhouses in the cells where ATP - energy - is made. We need Mg to make ATP.) Men have more muscle than women. Theoretically, they would stand a greater chance of recovery. Would depend on other factors too...level of infection(s), stress load, diet - healthy or not, exercise,etc.

It will take the body TIME to bounce back. When the infection is gone...give it time to rebalance and watch your NK cell level rise.

Rebalance it WILL.

Your comment about "feeling great" is very positive!!! Looks like you have this infection under control. You are very lucky!

Continue to do the things to help your body along in the healing process. It is still healing. Eat Mg rich foods and drink good water (filter the fluroide out). Avoid sugar, but starches are okay...and NEEDED. Get outside and take a walk in the sunshine and fresh air. And don't forget to say "thank you Lord".

Keep telling yourself..."I'm getting better." Do not allow yourself negative thoughts.

You ARE on the path to wellness. Congrats!

P.S. Yes, Abx. modulate (change) the immune system response. The route it (smartly) choses to go. This is documented (pubmed abstract) in my updated nutshell post. Abx. are known to deplete the minerals too. Research the Mg-hormones connection. It exists. This bug picks THE most essential mineral to deplete in us. It impacts soooo much. (Calcium would come a close 2nd.)

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 26 December 2004).]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Marnie

Thanks for the info. I do believe you are correct about Magnesium. Since I spent a year and a half with unbelievable IBS, my LLMD put me on Magnesium with Potassium Aspartate - it's a lower dose - on 70mg - but she said it was more absorbable and wouldn't mess with my stomach as much. I take it 4 times a day.

When I stopped abx, I developed leg and foot cramps - I upped the magnesium to 6 times a day, and they disappeared. So I guess the buggers are still snacking, but the party's gotten a bit less crowded.

I have added starches (in moderation) again to my diet - thanks for making me feel not so guilty about it. I believe yeast is a thing of the past for me - Oil of Oregano has really worked wonders but I will continue to take it daily for its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

Could low magnesium levels have also have lowered my progesterone level? It was 0.21 when the normal range is 1.9 - 19.. (yikes, no wonder I was shedding like the cat) Or is this an age thing?

Again, many thanks for your expert advice.

And nice to see you around again!!!

------------------
Julie G.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement