LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Had Meningitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had Meningitis
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a Christmas I'm having. Geez. The meningitis just about did me in. I've been in Springfield since December 12th and we just got home late last night. I truly didn't feel like I was going to survive this. The doctors insisted I didn't have lyme disease. Not just one doctor, all four of them through the entire nightmare. My husband even brought my western blot along with us. He told/showed them every day, but it didn't matter. He was so afraid he was sobbing. First they said it was bacterial meningitis. Then viral meningitis. Then my heart rate was dangerously high (200/125) for many days. They went back to bacterial and viral meningitis several times. They sent a psychiatrist to visit me because I was so combative. I was swinging at my husband for cripes sakes. I was scared to death and out of my mind from the infection. I had to stay at the hospital 2 days longer because the morons decided to do a blood patch. They did a PCR for lyme (1st day), but kicked me out on the day it was supposed to return to the lab (Wednesday). They just announced I was going home and added, 'don't you look great today. My, my you're looking soooooo good.'

Doctors shouldn't 'play' with things they know nothing about. I'm darned lucky to still be around.

My LLMD wanted me to use a PICC line with claforan but no one will do it for me locally. I have zithromax and that's all. The closest I'll come to a PICC line will be Monday or Tuesday and I can't wait that long. I'm just too sick to wait. Will the Zithromax work?

Sorry I didn't finish the story, I'm just too sick and tired.

Email

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 11 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi BitingBack,

I'm so sorry you had to endure all that. You're right-----you are lucky to be alive. What happen to you is beyond the pale.

You were so acutely ill. The combativeness is a huge symptom of meningitis. They didn't need to call in a Psych. How scary.

I read your post twice & I still don't understand why they wouldn't give you IV Rocephin or Claforan. I know they didn't believe you had LD, but it would have turned you around immediately.

If you were on ABX at the time of the PCR or still had some in your system, it would tend to turn out negative. Once they saw the negative PCR-----they kicked you out. That sounds like what happened maybe???

I realized you couldn't be moved you were so sick, but the only recourse would have been to have each doctor involved sign a statement that he refused to treat acute neuroborreliosis with the following symptoms. Submit the statement to the state governing board.

But if you did, they would have kicked you out & you were way too sick to be moved.

I'm afraid I would be so hacked off, I would get someone to type my story & submit it to the state board anyway, hospital administrators or somebody.

Anyway, you sure need that IV now.

The Zithromax will penetrate the cells. Your LLMD might want to add on an antiobiotic that's extracellular-----to hit it two ways.

The Zithromax does stay in the system a long time.

I finally got a spinal tap in an ER, but the doctor didn't even bother measuring the opening pressure. That would have shown inflammation or infection. One of the counts on the test was slightly elevated, but they ignored it.

I had chronic neck pain when I awoke in the morning & later went on to hurt the back of my head. I didn't look sick, so it was ignored.

But I would think someone as sick as you would have gotten quick treatment.

So finally, when I found an LLMD, he told me it was aseptic meningitis and all LD patients have some degree of it-------even if they don't show symptoms. I never had a fever with it.

Hope you will stay in close touch with your LLMD. Let us know how you're doing.

I'm concerned for you. Take Care.

Merry Christmas,
Jan

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 24 December 2004).]

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, Jan. I'll get back to you with the rest of the story when I'm feeling a little better.

I'm deathly afraid to take the zithromax, but I have to make it to our family Christmas a few minutes away. How bad will I herx from it?

Email

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB, so sorry to read of your awful last 2 weeks! Wondered how you came out.

I'll look for one of recipegirl's post & make her aware of your question to her on your post BB. Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB-

Having had a severe go-round with meningitis--and in hosp. with no lights on for 4 days--I am shocked beyond belief of what you have experienced.

That was incredibly dangerous---I hope you are ok now and can raise some kind of big-big ruckus when you are able.

Prayers for you and Merry Christmas.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi BitingBack,

I'm sorry I didn't see your reply until now.

If Christmas Day is your 1st day on Zithromax, you'll probably be tired mostly. Maybe take the Zith right before leaving? I hate to see you go without meds.

My LLMD let me cut my 600 mg Zith in half and take twice daily, instead of all at once. (It's not a time-released tablet) That will help the fatigue factor.

But you've been so sick, you might consider taking the entire tablet all at once. That's up to you.

Depends on the person, but it takes a while for it to penetrate. The more days you're on it, you'll develop a headache & more of your symptoms will appear as a herx.

That's my best GUESS.

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

When I got home, I would resume my regular schedule of Zithromax because you were so dangerously ill. Zith only mildly passes the blood brain barrier.

Hope this helps. Normally I would have watched the board closer, but things are so hectic.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveInMinnesota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocolat:
BB-
Having had a severe go-round with meningitis--and in hosp. with no lights on for 4 days--.

I too was hospitalized for a week with meningitis, four days of which were in total darkness except for a night nurse straight from the bowels of hell who would flip the light on in the middle of the night and ask how I'm doing.

Posts: 133 | From Rocheser, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
can not remeber
Member # 6520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for can not remeber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you were so ill.
Have you been tested for human herpes virus 6 variant b? Between the virus and the lyme bacteria you have to wonder if the tail wags the dog. Either one, totally suppress the immune system either making a beautiful petri dish for either to grow and prosper. One is supressed by anti viral/anti bacterial drugs and the other becomes chronic, thus the tail wags the dog. And now our immune system has to fight off both the viral and bacterial infection, but in can not do both. This I am sure you are aware of, something I am just learning, never imagined what my comprimised immune system would face, rendering my already CNS confused and dibilitated. This too shall pass. I am happy you are home and safe, that in its self makes for a happy holiday.
Be well,
Teri

Posts: 61 | From cosmo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement