LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it a herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it a herx?
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

My question is...I have been off antibiotics, but when my symptoms get bad enough I start taking them again.

The day after I take my FIRST dose (I usually take it at night) I feel like crap.

Very tired and weak feeling. I am grouchy and cry easily.

I am taking clindamycin 150mg. I have actually been doing good off antibiotics, but then have returning symptoms after a few weeks.

Can this be a herx so soon after taking the first dose of antibiotics? I feel the same way if I try to take my amoxicillin.

I don't know when my symptoms are due to a herx or maybe just in reaction to the medicine.??????

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And again you guys are great! Happy Holidays! Hope everyone is having a good day!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Orrn, Merry Christmas to you too.

I would say you were having a herx, sounds familiar.

I am not sure about you going on and off of your meds? I have heard that that is really bad for lyme. Other people on here could probably explain it better than I can. Feel like I am stumbling over my words tonight.

Sorry I can't help you more.
Lisi

[This message has been edited by Lisianthus (edited 25 December 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lisianthus (edited 25 December 2004).]

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisi

Thanks for your thoughts! So instead of stopping the antibiotics, keep taking them?

My LLMD had told me to stop taking them if I had a herx. But I didn't expect it the very next day!

The Clindamycin did not do that when I first started taking it. I have always been pretty sensitive and couldn't get up to the full doses of the antibiotics.

Right now I have been focusing alot more on yeast also. Do you think that could be a factor?

I have been taking Threelac for yeast and it has worked wonders! This is SOOOO confusing!!!!! Thanks for listening!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Orrn,

If your llmd told you to stop, then stop. My llmd put me on an extremly low dose of mino(50mg a week)because of the herxing. I also herx badly when I am fighting yeast. It could be that too.

But if your taking the ax and you get a bad reaction its a herx (the ax is killing the lyme bacteria) thats why you feel like crap. The bacteria is trying to fight back by releasing toxins in your body (from what I understand)

You should talk to your llmd, maybe he/she will put you on something different or a smaller dose.

How long have you had lyme? Have you been tested for any other co-infections?

I am just used to feeling bad all the time, I don't know what feeling good is. I was born with this, I am almost 39, My llmd said it was going to be a very long haul. I try to keep positive about it. Someday I will start feeling better.

Lisi

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lisi,
merry x-mas as well.
i wouldn't really know what feeling well would be like either. i've had it for 19 years. woke up this moring and felt 200 years old. how do you know you were born with it?

orrn, sorry don't have any answers to your questions. not really clued into all of this yet.
kind regards
paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Hi Paisley,

My mother lived in Germany frm 1960-63, he had a tick bite with a rash, and plently of symptoms from that to present.

I have had symptoms all my life as far back as I can remember. Headaches, fatige, joint pain, mental problems, couldn't concentrate, irregular periods, servere pms and cramps, Agoraphobia(age 5), suicide attempts, etc. I have almost every symptom on the list.

I barely graduated H.S., I couldn't hold down a job, because I couldn't understand directions, or I would forget what someone told me a minute later. A teacher told me once that I would never learn how to read.(I did of course)

When I was young I was always sick. I was tested over and over for everything. They couldn't find anything. The doctors told my parents to take me to a shrink. I learned to express feelings better, but the underlying horrible feelings never went away.

I do believe that I went through times of remission in my life also, where it wasn't real bad. I think my immune system had been still trying to fight it off.

My sister also has lyme(born with it also). She was bitten a few years ago, she did not know that she allready had it. The more she reasearched and talked to people on here(Tincup) She realized that she was in late stage lyme.

She than saw these same symptoms in me. She then push, nagged, screamed at me to listen. I thought all of my symtoms were normal, that everyone felt the way I did.(In pain all the time, I just was so used to being in pain)

To prove her wrong(MY MISTAKE) I took 3 100mg doxy within 3 days. I had such a hugh herx I wanted to die. It brought out the lyme in body full force. I herxed for 4 months without being on any ax. Luckily because my sister had known so much about lyme, that went to see her LLMD. Had the tests done. I did have a positive Lyme result.

Orrn --- sorry for running on like this on your post.

Paisley, did you get bit as a child?

Good health to you both.
Lisi

[This message has been edited by Lisianthus (edited 26 December 2004).]

orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Lisi

No problem! I like hearing other people's stories....I feel like less of a FREAK then!

Everyone else seems so "organized" about their disease. I feel like such a failure at being sick!!!

I try to keep notes and journals, but end up losing the notes or forgeting to write in the journal.

My daughter also has LD. She is 5 years old. We were diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and

go down to Dr. C in MO (when I can afford to get down there).

It is so frustrating! I know there is alot I can do for myself and with the help of all

of you, but I am so forgetfull and unorganized it seems hopeless. I can't even

tell when I am herxing!!!!!! It just doesn't follow a pattern!

I have just recently started working on yeast and felt pretty good, but then the lyme symptoms creep back in. YUCK!!!!

Oh well, sorry to ramble on. I have a house full of family over for Christmas and here I

sit on the computer. My head hurt so bad that I couldn't take all the noise.

Take care! And thanks for listening.

orrn

Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Orrn,

Don't feel like a freak! Please! We are all here to support each other.

I am sorry about your daughter. How is she doing? Its hard having a child with Lyme, and other people don't understand cause we all "don't look sick" (I hate that!)

My Nephew, who is 8 years old, and I believe my twin sons have it. Although my sons haven't been tested yet. I can't afford it right now (No insurance) My sons are 18, and have some mild symptoms.

My nephew was born with more severe problems-- He didn't speak till he was 5 years old. He also had rages, headaches etc. He is doing sooooooo much better now. Huge difference since he was treated. I think hes been on ax for about 3 years.

My advice to you is -- listen to your body, if you need to lay down then do it. Don't worry about being "organized" I gave that up along time ago, way before I knew I had lyme. Do expect to be like a healthy person. We aren't. And the big thing is don't feel guilty about being sick, its not your fault you didn't ask for this.

I would like to hear your "story" if you have the energy to type it.

There is a story that is very interesting to read if I can find it I'll post it.

Take care,
Lisi

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Orrn,

Merry Christmas to you also.

I agree with everything Lisi said....(Hi Lisi. )

I have hard time telling when I herx too, I guess just like Lisi said you get used to feeling sick or in pain all the time anyway.
I sure hope you feel better and I wish both of you the best.

Beverly

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Hi Beverly,

Beverly gave me the link, thank you Orrn this is a good story to read: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/spoons.htm[/URL]

This story made me cry..... But thats not unusal I cry over everything.

Lisi

[This message has been edited by Lisianthus (edited 26 December 2004).]

Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Let me try this again..... Lyme brain you know... Or just Dizzy Lizzy
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/spoons.htm

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did good Dizzy Lizzy... That story made me cry too.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Thanks to you all! My daughter is doing amazingly well actually. She is 5 years old and started school this year.

I am so glad she got treatment before she started school, because she used to be soooo

shy and introverted (not around family, but around everyone else).

I am sooo lucky that she is doing as good as she is. I hear stories on here and it breaks my heart!

I am sure she is not done with LD as she still has mild symptoms, but Dr. C took her off medicine and it has been OK.

I keep a very close eye on her. And of course when she is grouchy and angry family

does not understand that it could very well be her lyme rearing it's ugly head.

It's hard to explain to people and even harder to get them to understand or believe.

I am a single mother and Emily was born with LD. We were diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I have had LD for 15 or so years or longer.

My mom actually has alot of symptoms, but she won't get tested. Her theory is "I'm

55. It's too late to do anything about it now!" Very positive, huh?

If she does indeed have it then I could have been born with it also. It's nice to be

able to talk about and knowing that people actually understand and know what I feel like. Thanks so much!

I am trying to follow the rules of Lymenet. I know that this didn't really follow my post. I apologize!

I have read about others not posting in the right place, but wasn't sure how to post back, but do it in a different place.

Thanks again for listening. I hope tomorrow is a good day for everyone! Take care!

orrn

Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Orrn,

Don't worry posting, its just a thread.
No big deal. I am not real anal about the little things anymore.... there is too many other things that are more important to worry about

Take care, be well
Lisi

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement