LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » droopy eyelid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: droopy eyelid
flygirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I read a few items on a recent post, about symptoms.

I have had iritis (which we now believe is due to the babs and possibly Lyme) for years. I have had eye surgery at least 3 times now.

my eyelid on that eye droops, especially when I am tired. my eye doc had told me this is b/c of my condition - surgery, and the iritis itself.

now, I read it can be a symptom of Lyme. I really don't know... can I expect this to stop drooping when she gets rid of this stuff? so far babs is the only certainty, but she feels sure I have Lyme as well as babs can hide it.

I have a few times been given the option of having eyelid sugery to correct it, but, I can't stand the thought of unnecessary surgery - especially near my eyes. it isn't so noticeable except in photos, and besides - I'd rather look a little cosmetically goofy than have anything happen near or to my eyes!

thoughts?

thanks!

Cecily and Ophelia say hi too:

------------------

Posts: 167 | From Ashburn, VA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flygirl,

if it comes and goes, or if you face or head feel numb or tingly or twitchy sometimes, or those sensations in the back of your head or other places, then it's very possible it's a sort of mild form of bells palsy- a symptom of lyme.

That's caused by damage to one of the main nerves in the back of your head. If that's what it is, surgery isn't likely to fix it, antibiotics would.

hi kitties!

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flygirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

never felt any numbness. or twitchy. I'm hoping it's just something from the eye surgery!

Posts: 167 | From Ashburn, VA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Flygirl! We emailed recently Merry Christmas!

My eyelid began drooping about 10 years into my infection (I wasn't diagnosed then). Was only slightly noticable, especially in photos. Mine also seemed to be worse in times of fatigue or stress.

It became more noticable after a year of drooping and I began research for eyelid surgery as suggested by an opthamologist. Luckily within the month I got bells palsy on that side 3 different times and then got diagnosed with lyme and bartonella.

I would notice my eyelid wasn't blinking open very well and I could feel the eyelid, upon opening, bump into the skin under my eyebrow. Slightly annoying and worrisome. After about 6 months of antibiotics my eye went back to normal! Hasn't happened since.

I avoided unnecessary surgery as it turned out. But I didn't know that then, and got lucky all the cards fell into place at the right time.

Did you see the lyme literate opthamologist on the PA list I sent you? Could be worth the trip for an evaluation and consultation about how often eyelid drooping clears up during treatment or if there's often permanant damage or not.

Sincerely,
Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi flygirl,

One of my symptoms was a droopy left eyelid. I went 13+ years before being diagnosed with neuro LD & Babesia.

From l989 - 1994, I was misdiagnosed with myasthenia gravis because of my droopy eye and weak voice.

But after 20 months of ABX & Mepron
(2 bottles)-----I don't recall the last time it drooped. That's strange because it was a symptom for so many years and now I don't know exactly when it stopped.

Because the left eyelid and left ear would usually hurt at the same time, all I cared about was the pain ending.

The weird thing is I used Oticort ear drops just for the ear pain, but I quickly noticed that it would stop the left eyelid pain as well.

Now my 21 year old son with LD has drooping of the right eyelid when tired. The Zithromax also made the eyelid droop. And yes, I wonder everyday if he acquired LD inutero.

Hope ABX will help you, too.

I knew LD could cause iritis, but didn't know Babesia could. That's very interesting.

Let us know how you do.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My right eyelid would droop too. Typically in the midafternoon after spending the day at the computer at work. 8 mos of treatment - no more eye droop.

My LLMD told me it was cranial nerve involvement, and after excessive use, the muscles would get tired.

Here's something that helped get me through it when you're eye starts to droop. Put a drop of Peppermint Oil above each eyebrow. It's amazing how refreshing this is and takes away the droop.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie......,

After all these years of searching, I've never heard of anything good for droopy eye. Wow----peppermint oil for droopy eye. Good to know.

I read here some use it for headaches. I'll definitely have to get some for my son.

He perked up when I told him about it. He absolutely hates the droopy eyelid thing.

Bye,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also helps with mental clarity. Put some on your fingertips and wave it in front of your nose. You'll smell minty fresh, and also refreshed.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flygirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6669

wow, thanks. where can you find that? would Wegmans or Whole Foods carry it?
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie.....,

O.k. I'll try that. Sounds good.

Jna

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

This is one area where quality counts. Not all essential oils are the same - many are for decorative/smelling only and are not meant to be ingested or applied to the skin. And you do get what you pay for.

I get all my oils from www.youngliving.com. I think it's $9. If you decide to purchase elsewhere, please read the label carefully.

------------------
Julie G.

flygirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6669

what is Bell's palsy?

ever since I was a little kid, my smile has been crooked. I think I'd have a really BROAD smile except that my right side rises to the occasion - nice and WIDE smile and my left side (not my blind side by the way) doesn't seem to extend as much. also when I laugh - the right side drops more than the left. it's not a lack of control on the right side, it's almost like something is snipped on the left side!

again, mostly noticeable in photos I think.

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After years of having a droopy left eye due to lyme and coinfections, it is now resolving on bicillin la. (95% gone!) one month in.

BTW I also had no gag reflex and had trouble swallowing. For me I believe it was a lyme affected nerve. No problem with either anymore.

Amazingly, the bicillin is curing it just like my llmd said it would.

Sharing for those who might benefit from this.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeinHell,

Funny you should mention peppermint oil.

One or more of a class of coumpounds called 'Terpenes,' are spirochetocidal.

Peppermint oil contains a terpene whose specific chemical name eludes me for the present.
I think Pep.Oil is at least borrelio-static, if it doesn't kill the keet; either this or some other TBDs with which I'm infected.

From an experience of eating a SINGLE peppermint life savor on a truly empty stomach , I had a severe neurological reaction, wherein I was rendered unable to execute the physical act of writing longhand; nerve pain,and weakness in the optic tract, neck, and other Sx. The pain had a 'burning character'. No amount of will power could over come the nerve-weakness produced by the severely fatigued nerve in my writing limb to be able to continue to write. the nerve pain and fatigue went straight up into my head(neck, and optic nerve) Had to give up writing.

Prior to lyme, I frequently ate 'Pepo-mint' life savors,maybe several times a month,on a truly empty stomach, and never had such a reaction. Brain-Bld-Bar. was compromised,so maybe the peppermint terpene crossed the BBB and caused the reaction itself, or it somehow affected the keets.
No, I don't suggest this as a 'mono-therapy' by any stretch of the imagination.

Mint in toothpaste, has a terpene in it. I'd imagine is one reason for its inclusion in toothpaste. I believe it kills the '_____Denticola' spirochete, an oral spirochete,which has been implicated as a cause of Mult.Scler. in at least one study.

My point, and interpretive hypothesis of your reponse to putting one drop of the P.oil above each eybrow:

The P. oil went into the skin, and perhaps deeper, caused the keets to flea the connective tissue fibers(disattach from),and other tissues in that area, and when they did, your function returned;i.e., the droop went away.
I'm not a doc but this might be one possible explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
"..............."
Here's something that helped get me through it when you're eye starts to droop. Put a drop of Peppermint Oil above each eyebrow. It's amazing how refreshing this is and takes away the droop.

[/B]

[This message has been edited by pq (edited 16 June 2005).]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement