LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Irritation in GI Track When Going Off ABX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Irritation in GI Track When Going Off ABX
cgraham
Member # 6710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cgraham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone experienced irritation in the mouth, esophagus, stomach when stopping abx.

I can take breaks from the abx as instructed by my physician, but when I try I get extreme irritation in my GI track.

The last time I tried going off abx, my esophagus got so swollen, I had trouble swallowing food and medications.

Carolyn

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carolyn,
I had the exact symptoms you describe a few weeks after I switched abx and had to get off them, the burning was so bad.

My LLMD felt it was yeast, and put me on Diflucan, which helped with the burning but caused other side effects for me.

Check with your LLMD about the possibility of yeast which often gets worse when the abx stops, maybe a better brain here can tell us why.

Best of luck, Godbless.

Linda

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinkles
Member # 4623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same thing. I went off Ketek, still on Bicillin. Right now I am on Diflucan 200 mg a day and have diarrhea and cramping, abdominal pain, and massive nausea. Cant take it much longer.
Let me know ifyou find out some answers, i am getting pretty scared.
~twinks

Posts: 74 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you continuing acidophillus 3x daily on an empty stomach when you go off the antibiotics? And continuing to watch your diet?

Really sounds like yeast. Diflucan, Oil of Oregano and upping the acidophillus amount should help. Even Flagyl will address it.

Have you been checked for C-Diff? (easy test from stool sample) Please tell your LLMD about this.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cgraham
Member # 6710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cgraham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lhm312:
Carolyn,
I had the exact symptoms you describe a few weeks after I switched abx and had to get off them, the burning was so bad.

My LLMD felt it was yeast, and put me on Diflucan, which helped with the burning but caused other side effects for me.

Check with your LLMD about the possibility of yeast which often gets worse when the abx stops, maybe a better brain here can tell us why.

Best of luck, Godbless.

Linda

Linda, for some reason I couldn't get the regular email to work so I had to send your message back along with mine.

Thanks for the feedback. I will share your info with my LLMD. She has be puzzled by the symptoms described to her.

Carolyn

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast or acid reflux. or both.

Reflux is VERY commonly triggered by candida.

Try some Proton Pump Inhibitors AND yeast tx.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cgraham
Member # 6710

quote:
Originally posted by twinkles:
I have the same thing. I went off Ketek, still on Bicillin. Right now I am on Diflucan 200 mg a day and have diarrhea and cramping, abdominal pain, and massive nausea. Cant take it much longer.
Let me know ifyou find out some answers, i am getting pretty scared.
~twinks

Hi Twinks,
Thanks for you input. I get scared too especially when my esophagus gets so irrited that I can't swallow food.

I'll let you know if anything more info comes in. So far yeast has been mentioned in all the replies.
Carolyn

cgraham
Member # 6710

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
Are you continuing acidophillus 3x daily on an empty stomach when you go off the antibiotics? And continuing to watch your diet?

Really sounds like yeast. Diflucan, Oil of Oregano and upping the acidophillus amount should help. Even Flagyl will address it.

Have you been checked for C-Diff? (easy test from stool sample) Please tell your LLMD about this.

I have shared my symptoms with my LLMD. She haa been puzzled. Now I have something to suggest to her since all my replies who have experienced the same thing have mentioned yeast.

Thanks for you reply and suggestions.

cgraham
Member # 6710

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:

Julie, I have been checked for c diff and the results have been negative.

Sounds to me like yeast is a definite possibility based on my responses.

My LLMD has been puzzled by my symptoms. Thanks to this site and the responses, I'll have something to share with her.

Thanks for your response.
Carolyn

twinkles
Member # 4623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no answers either. I am awaiting a stool test but i wont have the results for awhile (great smokies lab) i dont even know if they are checking for c.diff on the test.
I no longer have diarrhea but i am super nauseated and have the reflux now too. i took zantac 75 (2) and cant bear the thought of eating. I feel like I need to throw up now for the first time in a long time its constant pain. keeps me awake. i elevated my bed head and all. i am on the yeast diet, no carbs at all.
maybe the diflucan itself is making me sick, irritiating my tummy?
i am taking loads of acidophilus and also the sacc.boulardi probiotic. bedridden except these brief moments to post here.
ginger tea helps a little, such gastritis plus intestinal gurgling and i can hear the water, fluid whatever in there.
if it would only go away i could have a happy day

Posts: 74 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement