LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New York'ers unable to use Bowen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New York'ers unable to use Bowen?
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 8 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called Bowen today to get confirmed what two of my LLMDs have been saying, namely that doctors from NY state are not allowed to use Bowen as a medical test facility.

They [Bowen] confirmed this, sort of, by saying that Bowen has not yet been authorized to test specimens from NY state.

Since I also live in NY state, I proceeded to ask them that if I had a doctor from say NJ or CT (which are authorized to use Bowen), if that would enable me to get tested at Bowen.

They didn't believe so since Bowen is not allowed to test specimens from NY state...or so they thought.

They were, however, not absolutely sure and told me to call back tomorrow.

Does any of this sound familiar to some of you, and what did you do about it?

It just doesn't seem reasonable that I can't use the Bowen facility.

I mean, it's almost like telling NY residents that they can not buy [taxfree] clothes in NJ.

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had my blood specimen taken in ny and sent to bowen last year ('04) didn't know of any moratorium since.

a bowen positive doesn't equal anything anyway since it is not liscened as a dianostic test in any state.

and since you're already under the care of an LLMD and the clinical diagosis has been made it seems pretty redundant to have a bowen test.

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zip,

There are two reason why I wanna persue Bowen.

First, I want to track the degree of Bb infection in my blood via the titer level.

This way I get some kind of evidence if the treatment program I'm on is working or not.

Second, I want to know if I have Babesia. Supposedly, they can identify several different strains.

Who's your doctor? And do you live in NY state?

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a manhattan resident.

the bowen buffy coat blood smear can be helpful in determining babesia as they test for two strains, i believe b. microti and WA-1. i could be wrong about this, but i'm fairly sure.

titers could be up regardless of symptoms anyhow. cure is subjective, not by empirical evidence.

i had a low bowen titer but am very symptomatic compared to others i have spoken to with higher titers.

obviously you could pick a dozen reasons for that including natural immunity, ixodes strain, etc.

anyhow i thought you just started mino/plaq and are adding amoxy. probably jumping the gun to see progress from an objective point already???

anyhow i'm suprised they don't take ny specimens, odd.

maybe you could go to a quest or enzo lab in ct and have the specimen drawn there and sent out?

but it's probably depedent on referring doc.....

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michael,

My son & I have had both Bowen & Igenex positive tests. My former LLMD refused to see my son, unless he had the Bowen Lab test done. ABX do not interfere with the results.

Here's an opinion from Dr. McnTeddy on Lymenet. No, he's not masquerading as a doctor. He's the real deal & truly has LD.

From Dr. McnTeddy:
"I disagree with having a test at Bowen is a waste of money. For one thing they have been proved 100% accurate with their test for Borrelia by another lab using long term culture method with all results coinciding on over 300 same blood specimen tests.

As regards wasting money, what they ask for a donation (around $200) for testing is fractional to what other labs would charge. They rely on donations. They test samples from 9 or10 different countries and the director of the lab is one of the top microbiologists in the country and honored so by the WhiteHouse.

They have brilliant, dedicated microscopists.I have visited the Bowen lab a number of times and can verify the above. The lab was the first to diagnose positively my Borreliosis, Ehrlichiosis and Babesiosis."

Source; (You'll have to scroll down to the 20th reply ----long thread)

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/027469.html

Hope this helps.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowen does a great job with lyme but not so accurate with co-infections. My holistic doc who totally believes in Bowen and uses it exclusively even said that and I am living proof.

My Bowen test said positive for lyme and no coinfections. Testing through Igenex proved I have a whopping case of babs.

Bowen for lyme but Igenex for coinfections is my advice.
regards
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My test results for co-infections were just the opposite.

In my case, the Bowen test was positive for Babesiosis, but my previous tests for Babs had been negative at 2 other reliable labs.

In the mid 1990s, test at BBI Lab in CT was negative for Babs. (This lab was bought out some years ago.)

In the late 1990s, test at Medical Diag Lab was negative for Babs.

In 2001, Bowen test was positive for Babs.
This was quite a surprise.
Since I had two previous negative tests & my symptoms were so subtle, I had not suspected Babesiosis. Thought all my symptoms were due to LD.

After treating Bartonella & Babs, I've been off antibiotics since March 2003.
In my case, the Bowen tests made the difference.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zipzip:
anyhow i thought you just started mino/plaq and are adding amoxy. probably jumping the gun to see progress from an objective point already???

The point is to get a baseline "measurement" to start tracking emperical improvements.

And the time is NOW since it seems the mino/plaq/amox are working...unlike all the other meds I've been on.

I can see how titers can be low while being symptomatic and vice versa how titers can be high while not being symptomatic.

Nevertheless, the Bowen QRIBb method seems to be the best of all available methods to at least provide some feedback wrt a treatment programs ability to kill the bugs.

Michael

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

OK. Called Bowen back this morning, and it's official now!

Bowen does not accept specimens from anybody in NY state.

Not from doctors, nor from residents.

So a NY resident has to have a residence in another state, such as NJ or CT, AND use a doctor from another state, such as NJ or CT.

zip, I'm surprised you got away with it. Who was your doctor?

In any case, even though this is a bit inconvenient, I can just go "live" with inlaws in NJ for "a while". At least during the visit to a NJ LLMD...

Bowen also told me that they were not able to identify Babesia strains. They only report positive/negative infection.

Though I got the impression that the person I spoke to wasn't 100% what she was talking about.

So I'll try calling again later to hopefully speak to another person.

Michael

[This message has been edited by cmichaelo (edited 04 January 2005).]

mcnteddy
Member # 6075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcnteddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should know that Bowen IS licensed in the State of Florida for the tests except for the fluorescent test for Borrelia, which is strange seeing that it was well confirmed by other methods by Dr. Mattmann on more that 300 same draw specimens. So one can rely on it. Ted
Posts: 77 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcnteddy
Member # 6075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcnteddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think New York must be another country and not part of the USA not allowing Bowen tests. NY has a huge number of Lyme cases and I assume they don't want them diagnosed, it might cause too much expense to treat. Ted
Posts: 77 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

quote:
Originally posted by mcnteddy:
I think New York must be another country and not part of the USA not allowing Bowen tests. NY has a huge number of Lyme cases and I assume they don't want them diagnosed, it might cause too much expense to treat. Ted

That's not a bad theory you have there, Ted.

As you probably know, our esteemed Gov. Pataki just vetoed the OPMC reform bill.

I know it's not nice to say this, but I'm sure we would all benefit if Pataki gets bitten.

Naturally, I hope for Pataki that he doesn't get bitten.

Michael

MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowen is the best test around. In fact, Bowen can see all of the babesia in the blood not just Microti and WA-1. Yes, it will differ since they only use a small portion of blood for the testing. I have used Bowen since 2001 when I first found out about it. I had used BBI labs for the Peptide 6 which said I did not have lyme in 2000, 2000 the LUAT which said it was lyme, I was tested by Quest which showed a positive Eli., PCR by Igenex with nothing but lyme etc. I was bitten in 1994 and finally my family doc let me go to Bowen.

I had not only the lyme but HGE, HME and babs. I am now free from the co-infections.
We trust this lab completely. The blood tests are political also. I also thought that NY could not use Igenex either. Bowen is patented and has filed for FDA approval. Remember, they are a 501(c)(3) organization where your donation can come off of your taxes. This lab works for all of us to make our life as a lyme victim worth living as you know what you are facing.

Happy New Year to All!

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the top.
Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same old recipegirl here - Jan

Thanks Michael for the heads up about Bowen. I had no idea New York residents were not able to get it.

I usually recommend the IGENEX Lab first to everyone, but I still believe Bowen is good.

Good luck on your testing,
Jan

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this temporary? last year I was able to use Bowen from NY and with a NY doctor with no problems. This stinks!!

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you know, Bowen can see all of the strains of Babesia. They are all treated the same so you do not have to identify a specific strain. Babesia is babesia no matter what.
The great part of Bowen is the pictures you see of what is in your blood. You then know why you are so sick and know what you are fighting.
Look at the Pfizer pamphlet at: www.lymediseaseinformation.com and you will see the same coinfections in color from Bowen. By the way, you can get the Pfizer pamphlet for free to give out.

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

quote:
Originally posted by WildCondor:
Is this temporary? last year I was able to use Bowen from NY and with a NY doctor with no problems. This stinks!!

Bowen has a pending request with NY for testing specimens.

I would think that Bowen never had permission to test specimens from NY since that is probably something that has to be granted by the state.

Or maybe this is a new law in NY state. I don't know.

But if I give full freedom to my imagination, I can certainly come up with some other explanations.

email me off the list to discuss.

Michael

zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

quote:
Originally posted by MammaLyme:
Bowen can see all of the strains of Babesia.

there are 13 known genomic strains of babesia that have been identified, Bowen does not and cannot culture them all.

[This message has been edited by zipzip (edited 06 January 2005).]

Alexbabets
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talked to Bowen. They have made application with fees to New York which will allow residence to order lab test from Bowen. New York hasn't returned the application or fees...perhaps it just takes time to process?

Alex

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

quote:
Originally posted by Alexbabets:
Talked to Bowen. They have made application with fees to New York which will allow residence to order lab test from Bowen. New York hasn't returned the application or fees...perhaps it just takes time to process?

Alex

Did they say when they submitted the application?

Alexbabets
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Said it was last August. They evidentally don't move too fast.

Alex

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement